Author Topic: Russian Heavy Bombers?  (Read 435 times)

Offline S.S.

• Trade Count: (0)
Russian Heavy Bombers?
« on: November 30, 2008, 12:39:47 PM »
Any one know more details about Russian bombers continually entering Alaskan airspace
in the last few days? Was talking to someone I know who is in the U.S.A.F. and
They had to abruptly return to base this morning.. Something is apparently going on up there.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Heather

• GBO Supporter
    • mymartialartsplus.com
Re: Russian Heavy Bombers?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 01:23:51 PM »
Here are a couple of links about Russian Bombers over Alaska territory.  Take them at the validity you see fit I didn't take the time to really research this.

This may be one explanation.  Of coarse this is from our best friendsssss Wikipedia!

Russian Flying Patrols

In August 2007, Russia began flying patrols over NATO territory. This was the first time since the end of the Cold War that Russia advanced military forces over NATO territory. The first incident took place on August 10, 2007. A Russian plane squadron consisting of two Tu-95 bombers flew over the US island of Guam in the Pacific. US planes scrambled, but no hostile actions were taken.[2] The second incident took place on August 17, 2007. Russian President Vladamir Putin ordered strategic bomber/fighter patrols to resume after 15 years, particularly through neutral international water. The patrols were shadowed by NATO jets.[3] Russian patrols continue with incidents that are of high concern to NATO-Russian relations, such as Russian bombers over Alaska[4] and the Russian bomber that buzzed the US Nimitz aircraft carrier on February 11, 2008. Four F/A-18A fighter jets intercepted the bomber.[5]

In response to the frequent fly-overs by Russian bombers, the US-based North American Aerospace Defense and Northern commands initiated joint exercises with Russian forces in Colorado and Alaska.[6]

The reason for the fly-overs is debatable. Russia has linked the fly-overs to a perceived attempt by the United States to place missile based in Poland while Russian experts consider the fly-overs to be an attempt by Russian President Putin to win strengthen support and increase military spending.[6] Putin's successor, Dmitry Medvedev is characterized as more liberal than Putin, but did not decrease the frequency of fly-overs.

Arctic Territory Claims

On August 3, 2007 Russia submarines planted undersea flags at two locations in the Northern Arctic and redrew the boundaries between Russian and International territory. While Canada, the United States, Russia, Norway, and Greenland all held ocean territory north off their mainlands, this is the first attempt to take a large area beyond this into neutral territory. The arctic is said to hold 25% of the world's unclaimed oil.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/02/11/russian.bomber/index.html  (Article Feb 08)

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2093547/posts  (article from Anchorage from March 08)

http://www.nowpublic.com/russian-bombers-over-us-base-intercepted-us-air-force  (Article Aug 08)

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=3364973n    (recent video)

Heather
Strive for complete serenity in all aspects of life.
www.mymartialartsplus.com

A closed mind is often closed to the truth!

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and loose both...Ben Franklin

Offline S.S.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 02:50:41 PM »
thanks for the research Heather.
This was apparently something that happened in the last couple
of days.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 03:13:39 PM »
When Alaska seceeds and becomes it's own nation, Russia will be it's primary ally and protector.

Just totally threw that out there as my opinion and conjecture...it's not anymore "crazy" than some of the other theories I've heard  ;)
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 06:33:46 AM »
Tribready
that is so true.
does this mean that Sarah will be running for president of Russia, and that works
too.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.