Author Topic: USSA opposes HSUS call for lead ammo ban.  (Read 558 times)

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
USSA opposes HSUS call for lead ammo ban.
« on: November 14, 2008, 09:17:10 PM »
Just got this in an email today:

U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance
801 Kingsmill Parkway, Columbus, OH 43229
Ph. 614/888-4868 • Fax 614/888-0326

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE             Contact: Greg R. Lawson (614) 888-4868 ext. 214
November 14, 2008                                    Sharon Hayden (614) 888-4868 ext. 226
U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance Opposes Extremist Call to Ban Lead Ammunition
(Columbus, Ohio) – The United States Sportsmen’s Alliance (USSA) emphatically opposes the anti-hunters’ recent call for a nationwide ban on lead ammunition. Such a statement is an extreme policy proposal that is not supported by the facts.

On November 10, The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) issued its call for the lead ammunition ban after the release of a report from the North Dakota Department of Health (NDDoH) that had been conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). It reported on the possible dangers of consuming wild game harvested by lead ammunition.
The report found that while the levels of lead in the blood of those tested who were frequent consumers of wild game taken with traditional, lead ammunition appeared to be somewhat higher than those not consuming wild game; none had levels approaching those that would be of concern to the CDC. In fact, in its own press releases, NDDoH indicated food pantries could continue accepting venison, provided the meat was appropriately processed.

USSA Senior Vice President Rick Story states, “HSUS should stop hyperventilating and actually read the report since it makes clear that the average level of lead in the people tested is actually lower than the level of the average American. That fact completely undermines its call for banning traditional ammo.

Story continued, “It should come as no surprise that America’s leading opponent of hunting, fishing and trapping has mischaracterized the findings of the CDC report. It will resort to any means necessary to deny the rights of sportsmen.”
While portraying its call for a lead ban as not being “anti-hunting,” HSUS’ track record makes clear that its true goal is to outlaw all hunting, trapping and even fishing. One way of accomplishing this is to push sportsmen towards higher cost products that will limit how much ammunition they purchase and the number of times they are able to participate in their sport.

The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance is a national association of sportsmen and sportsmen’s organizations that protects the rights of hunters, anglers and trappers in the courts, legislatures, at the ballot, in Congress and through public education programs.  For more information about the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance and its work, call (614) 888-4868 or visit its website, www.ussportsmen.org.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline jgalar

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: USSA opposes HSUS call for lead ammo ban.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 04:55:37 AM »
Lead is a naturally occurring element. Being concerned for the welfare of Mother Earth I am just returning it to its source.

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 04:59:56 AM »
What a joke??????

What we have here is a failure to communicate
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 11:28:33 AM »
in  the  interest of  the planet  i  pick  up  every bit of lead  i find

i  take  it home to my storage facility   [a pile  out back]

then  i melt it down  and store it safely in  the form  of  bullets

when  i  return  them to  mother earth  i like  heavy for caliber  hard cast

that way  i  get total  pass through and  no  food contamination on  its way back  to the ground it cam from

see  what a tree huger  i am    [hope they don't ban  wheel weights / my favorite source

any one  know  of ranges being shut down  over lead
got a new range in  town  ....no  lead allowed....i  have no reason to go  there
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 01:01:22 PM »
good points 45-70. Scary to have lead free ranges. Still as some of us know here, lead is pretty darned toxic if we're careless with it - and I don't me just at 600 fps or more either.  I do a small amount of recycling myself, keep up the good work.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 01:41:27 PM »
My job is to repair electric forklift trucks, and their batteries.  These batteries weigh from 450 lbs. to over 5,000.  The cells are connected by exposed lead connectors that are soldered on, and the cables are soldered as well.  On a regular basis, I melt lead in a fishcooker pot, (about 150#) at the time, and mold these parts, then lead solder them in place.  I've been doing this for almost 40 years, (next year will be 40).  My lead levels are normal.

If you get a lead test kit for water, pick up soil from just about anywhere and add it to water for a while, then filter and test it, you will find lead.

The idea is don't eat dirt, don't use a lead bullet or sinker for a chew toy, and ventilate your work area when working with lead.

There are far more dangerous things. 

The lead in the soil at a shooting range is only dangerous if someone eats it.  Don't let a 9month old play there.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 04:20:31 PM »
4570. I too am a recycler of WW, and also like the heavy bullets. Is there anyone here that has NEVER bit into a piece of squirrel or rabbit and gotten a piece of shot??? I know I have. Just another slam at gun owners. POWDERMAN.  ??? ???
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm