Author Topic: Chavez says Russia to build nuclear reactor in Venezuela  (Read 516 times)

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Chavez says Russia to build nuclear reactor in Venezuela
« on: November 17, 2008, 03:04:27 AM »

Chavez says Russia to build nuclear reactor in Venezuela

RIA Novosti
Monday, Nov 17, 2008

Russia will help Venezuela build its first nuclear reactor in the northwestern province of Zulia, President Hugo Chavez said on Sunday.

Chavez had announced on Friday that Venezuela was in talks with Russia on nuclear energy cooperation, and the issue is likely to be discussed during Russian President Dmitry Medvedev's visit later this month.

"A nuclear reactor, to produce energy for peaceful purposes, will soon be built in Estado Zulia and named in honor of the Venezuelan scientist of the last century Humberto Fernandez Moran," Chavez told supporters in Maracaibo, the capital of Zulia state.

(ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW)

"Brazil has several nuclear reactors, as does Argentina. We will also have our own reactor," the president said.

Medvedev's trip to Venezuela on November 26 will be the first visit by a Russian president.

Russian nuclear power plant constructer Atomstroyexport, established in 1998, has completed or is working on reactors in Iran, Bulgaria, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, China and India.

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Chavez says Russia to build nuclear reactor in Venezuela
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 11:31:50 AM »
All this nuclear technology is for energy only     ::)

I personally think that as long as we monitor it closely enough, it should be fine.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 07:16:39 AM »
and why not, it is good enough for the other countries mentioned plus several more that use nuclear power stations.
The US could certainly use more, it is clean energy.
A shame that relationship between Venezuela and the US has gotten so bad that this work couldn't be done by a US company.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 08:07:10 AM »
Venezuela sits on quite a large oil field.  More then enough to fuel their energy needs, and bring prosperity to the people.  Yet the people are among the poorest in S. / Central America.  When you think how much oil Venezuela sells, and how little money trickles down to the people, the corruption and theft must be impressive.  Venezuela will remain as it is until the people have had enough of that idiot Chavez, and dispose him.

Venezuela needs  nuclear power like a hole in the head.  That's just Russia trying to tweak the United States nose, same as threatening to deploy missiles on the Polish border.  Its just Russia being Russia.  Democracy has taken a backwards slide in Russia these past few years, and its not hard to imagine them falling back to their old ways of doing business.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 01:04:13 PM »
As long as the company building the reactor has a clean record, of building power plants, and safe ones, I have no problem with this. From my understanding, the plutonium,(did I spell that right?) that is used in power plants, is quite different than what is used in making nuclear bombs of any kind.  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline magooch

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 03:07:43 AM »
That's all right, the messiah will make it all okay.
Swingem

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 03:33:56 PM »
Them russians really know how to do it just ask any one living in chernoble
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten