Author Topic: Three "Bang Flops"  (Read 1003 times)

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Three "Bang Flops"
« on: November 10, 2008, 11:35:47 AM »
Well we went out to the lease last wednesday and I just got back. I saw many good bucks but am looking for a particular non typical giant. The rut is definitly not on yet. However the three of us were all instructed by our wives to take at least one doe apiece. Since we all left the lease today we took our does this morning. All weighed around 90 pounds, not big but some nice venison. The first was hit in the back of the head with 150 grain Ballistic Tip from a 308 by Kenny, the bullet came out the deers mouth. The second was shot by Tommy with a 270 I set up for him shooting 130 grain Nosler solid base bullets pushed a bit over 2800fps. He is not really very experienced. He shot his doe behind the shoulder but it was anglling sharply toward him facing his right. The solid base angled across the deer thru it's right lung, diaphram stomach contents and it went thru part of it's left hindquarter and ended up under the hide weighing 111 grains and well expanded. The energy it applied made the deer look swelled up in the midsection. This deer dropped with hardly a twitch.  My doe was hit close behind the shoulder just under the shoulder blade. It came out after going thru the lungs and the meaty part of the offside shoulder between the shoulder blade and upper leg bone not hitting either. It made a 1 inch exit hole. My bullet was a 140 grain Nolser Partition loaded to 2800 fps from my 7x57. There was some spine damage and my deer also dropped, flipped her tail a couple times and was done. "Bang Flops" are not that hard to come by.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: Three "Bang Flops"
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 01:35:42 PM »
Well done.  Aim small miss small so the saying goes and I agree.  Well done.  DRT.  No tracking.  Well done.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 07:50:06 AM »
How much meat beyond the circle of the exit wound was blood shot and wasted?
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline rickt300

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 04:50:43 AM »
I just processed the deer last night. I was surprised that other than the 2 inch hole there was very little blood shot meat, less than an inch around the hole. I also shot a Turkey with the same load, hitting it in the neck a bit below the body line at the neck. This damaged just a little of the far side breast. I am getting to like the 140 grain Nosler partition as it seems to be very meat friendly so far. The far shoulder would have had much more loss if I had been using my normal 150 grain Ballistic Tip load.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 03:37:23 PM »
Never had a rifle that shot Partitions as well and other bullets. 

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 04:08:40 PM »
My 270cal. Win. Mod. 70  Classic Featherweight likes polycarbonate tipped bullets, but I don't.  I hand load, so I found the powder charge and distance behind the lands that is just right for 150 gr. Partitions and it shoots them into a nice quarter sized group (or less if I do my part) at 100 yards.   I kill a lot of hogs too and the 150 gr Partition drops them in their tracks (again if I do my part).

Offline rickt300

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 04:16:42 AM »
This 7x57, after some tweaking of overall length and powder charge gives 1 1/4 inch groups which is fine for my hunting.  It really shoots tight groups with 150 grain Ballistic Tips and 160 grain Sierra BTSP's. I have had some rifles that shot them well and others that shot them moderatly well but good enough for hunting.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 07:30:24 AM »
Congrats on the deer!

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 03:58:02 AM »
After the Season is done and you want to play around a bit, have you tried the Speer 140 gr Grand Slam?

Loads listed in their book show max velocities just shy of 2800 fps. The price of the bullets is right and they may perform well for you.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline rickt300

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 04:36:27 AM »
I have taken deer and hogs with a wide variety of bullets in my 7x57. I do like Speer bullets but so far just about any bullet I have used is a good one out of this rifle.  I started buying seconds from the Nosler Shooters pro shop and now have a bunch of them so I use them. My favorite bullet in the past was the 160 grain Speer Hotcor. It worked perfectly in all situations and shot very well. I also had good results with the 160 grain Sierra BTSP, the 150 grain Ballistic Tip, the 175 grain Hornady Spire point and the 140 grain Ballistic Tip.  A real standout bullet has been the 150 grain Ballistic Tip, a fast killer with plenty of penetration and extremely accurate out of my rifle. An oddity of my rifle is that it will hardly group with the 150 grain Sierra BTSP yet it will group the similar 160 grain Sierra BTSP into tight little groups. This rifle shoots the 140 grain Remington PSPCL so poorly I couldn't actually sight in with it.