Author Topic: Hydrolic questions  (Read 656 times)

Offline contendernut

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.contendernut.com
Hydrolic questions
« on: August 07, 2003, 06:37:32 PM »
I've been swaging for a little while now and have 4 sets of dies for the S-Press and want to get 3 more sets.  I'm ready to get a couple jacket makers.  Before getting any deeper into this, I've been considering switching to H dies and hydrolic power.  I don't really have a source for pure lead very cheap and will probably continue to just buy lead wire from Star.  I mainly shoot 25-30 cal, 38 and 45.  Has anyone switched from a hand press to hydrolic?  Any regrets?  From an economic standpoint, it would be cheaper to just get rid of all the swaging equipment and buy bullets, but I enjoy doing it.  I was just thinking if I ever wanted to switch to H dies, now would be the time to do it.  

My only complaint about swaging is repeatablilty.  From an accuracy stand point, you want everything the same.  Without a press for each die, it is hard to get each die set up the same as the last time.  I haven't noticed any difference in accuracy between "lots" of bullets I've made, so it may just be with way I've approached it.
-----------
Gary

Offline Donna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
Hydrolic questions
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2003, 01:48:45 AM »
Hello contendernut, :D

Through my research I have not come across any lead wire that is less expensive than Star Ammunition but if someone has a source that is better please let me know. :wink:

As far as repeatability goes the only part that has any adjustment is the external punch in both Dave and Richard’s presses. So if you have quit a few external punch holders and set them up and lock them in place for your external punch repeatability is solved. It is cheaper than a press and takes up less room. Richard supplies a locking ring with his external punch holders and you can get locking rings through any reloading company. But you would want the type that squeezes around the punch holder vice the type that a setscrew drives into the threads. :roll:

Donna :wink:
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Hydrolic questions
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2003, 04:58:16 AM »
On the economics of making your own wire: It pays to look hard for a sorce of pure lead, such as lead pipe, cable sheathing, skirting and so forth. Wheelweights and anything that looks like it was remelted just leave. I get my scrap from a scrap metal yard at 25 cents/lb. The lady always references a listing of "market" prices, so I suspect this is what scrap lead goes for in most places. About 5% is lost during melting and casting into those 3/4"dx4" LED-1-H billets. You avoid postage fees, but spend gas money and electric in converting scrap into the wire. Your wire die set and your casting furnace costs a bit, too. Bottom line: your break even point is about 350# of wire, which is about 7 sessions of 40 minutes each at the press.
  I only use the hydrolic press for making wire. Still use the old mity-mites, Series II, and manual mega-mite to make bullets and tube jackets (thou I haven't made any jackets since Butch came on the scene). I'm not in the mass production business, and like contindernut, am in the hobby for other reasons (I use this board as a sort of 'Swagers Anonymous'. Repeat after me: "I will not get any more swaging equiptment--today!"). You have to realize, too, that a powered H press makes a lot of noise and once in place, it stays there. It's foundation has to be very solid due to the weight and vibration.  IE, do you have a garage? Is it comforable enough to work in during the hot summer and cold winter days and evenings? About repeatability: Yes, it does pay to have several Punch holders around (for the H presses they are a bit costly thou), but it is very difficult to remove a 'locked down' holder, and replace it in exactly the same position. But several spare holders saves a lot of time and makes final adjustment a lot more easier.  You can quickly get so close to the original position that only scientific measurement can tell the difference. Still, I date, or lot mark each run of bullets. Donna, about using rings that have a set screw bearing on the die body: there should be a lead piece between the iron screw and the die. Often these fall out. If it's present, no harm to the die body will occur. One thing for sure, there's plenty of lead scraps laying around a swager's bench to make a piece for your lock ring if you need one.. 8)

Offline contendernut

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.contendernut.com
Hydrolic questions
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2003, 03:39:40 AM »
Donna and Talon,

Thanks for the information.  I'm going to continue to buy lead wire.  I'm saving all my lead scraps.  The local scrap company puts all lead in a container and it is mixed up.  If I find a source for pure lead, I'll consider making lead wire.  

I've got two punch holders but will probably get more in the future.  I think I'm going to stick with either S or WH dies and get some copper tubing makers for those presses for now.  For 38/45 jackets, I'll continue buying them.  The cups are not much more than the material required to make them unless you buy in large quanities.
-----------
Gary