Author Topic: Mind numbing pap with an interesting scene  (Read 550 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Mind numbing pap with an interesting scene
« on: August 12, 2003, 02:37:06 AM »
While at a motel last night I surfed the TV channels a while and saw part of Charles Bronson's "Death Wish Three" movie.  It features him handloading ammo for his Widley .475 with an RCBS press.   He bought the Widley by mail order and it was delivered in a nicely finished wooden box that was wrapped with a single ply of brown wrapping paper. The box was apparently in perfect condition on arrival-- I think that was the most unrealistic scene in the film. If I had ever ordered a nicely finished box mail order it would have been mangled beyond recognition on arrival.  Hollywood!

The Widley acquitted itself spectacularly as it was used for police-endorsed vigilantism.  Any hit on a bad guy resulted in the bad guy trampolining at least thirty feet and landing in a pool of gore.

To paraphrase a conversation between two of the good guys about the Widley: "...is that a .44 magnum..." "No the 44 is a pistol cartridge. This is gun fires a shortened African big game cartridge...it's like a rifle cartridge."  That may give you .480 Ruger shooters an idea or two.
Safety first

Offline kciH

• Contributor
Mind numbing pap with an interesting scene
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2003, 08:18:55 PM »
Questor,
good "old school" movie with all the unrealistic Hollywood stuff.  The Automags and Wildeys where ahead of their time.  If we had them today at a reasonable price, as a result of advanced machining processes, we'd be snapping them up.  Well, at least some would.  The .475 Wildey probably would do a fair impression of what was seen on any unfortunate perp that got in the way of that slug!  :)

Thank God the mohawks are a thing of the past!  How about when the oldster brings out the Browning .30 an lays waste to the scumbags?  The guy with zip gun?  The detective shooting people, dead in the head, with a .38 snub at 75 yards?  I'd say the Wildey is the most realistic thing in the movie!

Offline TopGun

• Avid Poster
KciH
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2003, 02:50:47 PM »
Ah so...a Charlie Bronson fan???  :oops:  I take those movies fo what they were-entertainment, and bad at that!! I still love to watch them old reruns to, just for the bad acting, and the mistakes. Eastwoods .44 Automag  8) showed the bad guys a thing or two, didn't it?  :D I have a friend who has three of tehm bad boys. I used to shoot them extensively until the got pricey!!  :D Go ahead, make my---no, have a nice day!!  Topgun :D
The first shot is the best shot, it may be your only shot!  Do it with a single-shot.
NRA Life Member 1980
HHI Member #2933
NAHC Life Member
RMEF Member