Author Topic: Anyone Use 1234 For Deer Hunting?  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Snareman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Anyone Use 1234 For Deer Hunting?
« on: November 03, 2008, 08:12:14 PM »
x

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Re: Anyone Use 6mm For Deer Hunting?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 02:53:04 AM »
My 6MM Remington is a 26 inch barreled Mauser and it is a nice killer of deer and antelope.  It is very accurate considering the light taper of the barrel and I shoot 95 grain Ballistic Tips in it for both coyotes and deer. The load I am using pushed that bullet to just under 3100 fps and it is a sudden killer on deer with good hits. As to the cartridges max useable range on deer I don't know as I have shot nothing over 250 yards with it. I have heard that 300 yards is supposed to be a reasonable limit.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 05:00:09 AM »
It should do everything a 243 does, and do it a wee bit better.  Avoid barrels stamped .244 as they may not stabilize the longer bullets many people use for deer.

Offline Snareman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 06:53:23 AM »
x

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 07:15:38 AM »
Either 243 Winchester or 6mm Remington as for big game hunting are excellent Antelope/Deer cartridges, using 85 to 100 grain well constructed bullets.

The 243 Winchester will meet everything the 6mm Remington will do up to approx 95%, which is splitting hairs. No noticeable difference on game performance.

My personal ethical maximum yardage is 300 yards, for any of my cartridges.  Any further and I have the capability to stalk closer or I will pass on the shot.

yooper77

Offline Tunaman

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 05:42:00 AM »
I have a buddy that shoots a 6mm rem exclusivly for deer. The rifle is a 30+ year old ruger and he shoots it very well. He has killed 6+deer with it every year for the last 30 years. He shoots a 100 gr hand load but i don't know the specifics. He limits his shots to 100 yards. He actually plans his feilds so that none of his shots will be better than 100.  I often shoot a 240 weatherby, another 6mm. I shoot a 105 gr speer and This round does its job as well. Deer are not that tough, a 6mm at the right range will do its job very well.

Offline BIGOX

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 11:59:27 AM »
I have a REM Model 7 in 6mm that I have used on deer for the past 23 years.  It is a great lil deer gun.  I agree with everything that has been said about it.  It is just a tad bit better than a 243 but not enough to notice.  My dad took a doe with it once at 300 yards so yes it is capable.  Personally I wish my Model 7 was a .243 just because you can find a much better selection of ammo.  If you roll your own it probably doesn't make a difference.

Offline rickt300

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 03:19:40 PM »
If you order you ammo online you can usually find a good selection of different types, certainly plenty o fill whatever task a rifle of this caliber is supposed to do.

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 04:59:47 PM »
For what it is worth, take the difference between the 7x57 Mauser and 7mm-08 and tell us.  Whatever said is the same difference between the .243 Win and 6mm Remington.  And not all 244 Remintons had the 1:12 twist rate that supposedly would not stabilze heavy for bore bullets in this round.  The latter runs of the 244 Remington did have the 1:9" twist rate of the 6 mm Rems.  I like the 6mm Rem a bit better than the .243 solely for the longer neck, which holds my handloaded bullets a bit tighter and not extend into the powder column as deep.  But really I do have both and see not one whit of difference in killing game or ballistics for hunting. 
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 02:36:22 AM »
The real difference between 243 and 6mm shows up as you go to heavier bullets. The 243 won't push the really big bullets as well as a 6. I used to be content shooting 85s or 87s in a 243 but since I have owned a 6 I really appreciate how much more effective the big 105 speers are.

Last couple of years my wife has been shooting the 6. First year I loaded it with 87 gr bullets and she had trouble killing. This year I let her practice with light bullets but then gave her 105s when we were hunting without sawing anything. She never mentioned anything about recoil and the critters died better this year. Two years is no indication of how good a cartridge is but the numbers support what I saw.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 07:40:33 AM »
My 243 Winchester handles bullets from 70 to 100 grains to 1/2 MOA.
-Meets the 6mm Remington performance up to 95%, not even a measurable amount.
--Since the first 6mm Remington variation was 244 Remington with 1:12" twist and didn't handle the heavy bullets, so the 243 Winchester took off and then the 6mm Remington with the proper rifling twist rate to handle the heavier bullets, but it was too late.

I use any 100 grain bullet in my 243 Winchester for Deer/Antelope out to 300 yard broadside shots with complete success and no bullets recovered.

yooper77

Offline EdinCT

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 08:37:51 AM »
    I had a neighbor who bought a 6mm when they first came out and since he owned a apple orchard he put it to use on deer with great results out to 400 yards. He even took it to Canada and shot two cow moose. I asked him how far they ran and his reply was they didn't.
    I have three sons and one day had some overtime money and saw Walmart had a 6mm Rem Mod 7 youth on clearance for 180, so I bought it. I shot a average 2 1/2 year old buck and it worked ok. My oldest heart shot a large buck that made it about 40 yards with a good blood trail. My Youngest has shot a bunch of deer with it out to 281 lazerd yards and all dropped to the shot.
  I handload a 100 gr Nosler partition to max levels but doubt I get 2900 fps out of the 18 inch barrel. It has done everything we have asked of it but my boys moved on to my 7\57 and other rifles so it doesn't get much play the last few years. I may try it again myself sometime before grand kids come along!
                                                                                                                 Ed 

Offline rickt300

Re: Anyone Use 1234 For Deer Hunting?
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 06:57:48 PM »
Snareman must have lost it somehow 1234.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Anyone Use 1234 For Deer Hunting?
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 07:00:40 PM »
He went bonkers and deleted as many of his posts as he could and asked to be banned which I was only to happy to acommodate him on. I don't think he is real stable mentally and came really close to banning him within a day or two of him showing up. He began showing his ass from the first thread he posted and never really improved a whole lot.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!