Author Topic: deer drives  (Read 801 times)

Offline catdaddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
deer drives
« on: November 02, 2008, 11:15:01 AM »
who's ever done this,it sounds fun,put 4 or 5 guys in trees stands and get 10 or 12 others a mile or so back and push the woods towards the stand hunters to see what happens ;D

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: deer drives
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 11:30:25 AM »
We have flat land here in the NW corner of Ohio. Square miles with a patch or tow of woods in the middle from 2 to 35 acres or so.
Depending on group size there are 3 or 4 sitters posted, 2 to 4 guys walking and 2 or 3 pickups driving on the roads. The groups rarely ask permission and once they get a deer running they will chase it anywhere

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 02:19:54 PM »
Driving deer can be an effective way to move deer that are hunkered down due to pressure and make them vulnerable to hunting. It can also be very dangerous and lead to unretrieved wounded animals if standers and drivers do not use and follow safe shooting practices ,  good judgment and ethics. Most deer sighted during drives are on the move and offer fewer high percentage shots than deer moving naturally. Running shots are more the norm than the exception and too few hunters have the  experience shooting at running game needed to be effective. JMTCs.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 10:18:45 AM »
Hairtrigger- Did you say Ohio or Iowa? Sounds familiar to the way it's done in NW IA. I know of a group that ran a doe until she laid down and wouldn't run anymore.

A lot of loaded guns in vehicles and using radios, and a lot of running shots.

When you see a guy buying 10 boxes of slugs the day before the season, ask him where he's hunting so you can avoid being anywhere near there. He probably has to dose the 870 down with WD40 to get the action free from when he used it last season.

Pushing or driving deer can be fun with 6 or fewer people who you know well and trust. Larger groups usually add inexperience and uncertainty as to where everyone is.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 10:34:11 AM »
My brother-in-law and I used to have two man drives at lunchtime.  We pushed out heads and when done properly, the escaping buck can be seen creeping away or doubling back.  Go slowly and quietly.  Let your scent push the deer.

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 10:49:37 AM »
We also like little 2-3 man deer drives.  More like pushing the deer, like mentioned.

I've been in some larger deer drives. Not anymore effective in my opinion. When you have 2-3 guys unloading on one deer as it's busting thru the brush isn't a good idea to me. 
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline ttank0789

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 01:41:01 AM »
Me and my buddies do deer drives here in northern Ohio when we can get our schedules to match up. Usually 4-6 people. The more people the less safe it can get. Don't put standers in tree stands because they won't be able to move if they need to in order to get a shot. The drivers should move quietly and still hunt through the woods for 2 reasons. 1) The deer most likely won't be very spooked and won't be running therefore allowing for an easier shot. 2) The drivers may be given a shot opportunity as well therefore increasing the chance of someone taking a deer.
Just as in all hunting safety comes first!!! Everyone needs to know where everyone else is and where there drivers will be coming from as they move through the woods. Getting an aerial map of the woods you are driving it a good way to design an effective and safe deer drive.
Driving also works best when it is done on smaller tracks of land. The bigger the woods you are driving the more likely the deer will just run a wide circle around and you won't see them.
It may take a season or two to get a system down that works but once you do deer drives can be very successful and may help you get that big buck that sits real tight. ;D

Hope I was some help
"The most dangerous moment comes with victory."  
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-

"Have I not commanded you? Be Strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
                                       -Joshua 1:9-

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 01:25:07 PM »
i  have  hunted  and  shot  one  deer 
driven  by dogs  they  are  fast....one  shot  5 pellets hit  #1 buck

had  a doe  once 10 feet  away
shot gun braced  on  tree waiting
made  eye contact with  her...realized  a  doe..not a shooter  that  day
suddenly dogs  were every where
she  turned  and leaped over  them  and was gone
then i  heard 5 shot  from the direction she  went
they  all  swore it   was a  buck  but  missed  it
i  later  found  out  they  lied and  shot  it
never cared  to hunt with  a lire     but  the  dog  hunting was  fun
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.