Author Topic: Extended (mandatory) vacation over soon  (Read 534 times)

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Extended (mandatory) vacation over soon
« on: November 17, 2008, 07:59:08 AM »
I have been laid off since july 7. On Dec. 1st I will be starting at  University of Cincinnati Hospital ;D  Of corse the first day would be the first day of deer season >:(
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Extended (mandatory) vacation over soon
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 09:33:35 AM »
plumberroy, I think that you have a "sick day" coming to you since you have not had one in 5 months?  ;)

Offline deerjackie

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 10:47:39 AM »
be glad you got a job many dont  or are trying to find one if they want one.glad you are getting to go back to work.
WHATS THAT SMELL?                                                                                                  USS FORRESTAL CV-59  1983-1987 r div ht2

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 11:16:15 AM »
I am glad you are back to work too. When I get down or just plain peeved about work, I think of the alternative and I feel better.

We have 4 Supervisors where I work. I am the Maintenance Supervisor. I have the maintenance guys, the material handlers and the clerks in the building on both shifts that report to me. I also fill in for the two production Supervisors when they are not in. We are going through a slow period and the boss was worried if she could keep all 4 of us. One Supervisor just turned in his notice, so that pressure was just relieved. Trouble is I am the guy that is going to fill his void and do all my other duties. In other words I am going to be doing my job and his.:o That just is not right, why can't the other two Supervisors take some of the load? As bad as it is - It still beats the alternative. ;)

Good luck on your new job - deer season will come again next year.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 11:48:31 AM »
More of a wine than a complait. When you combine wages, benefits and Job security. It don't get much better for a man who works with his hands. twenty some years ago. I was an apprentice doing an addition on a hospital. I decided a maintenance plumber in a hospital would be "the job" Well I'm there, in one of the best and oldest hospitals around. This should be with a little luck my last job ;D
Roy
I just hate the B.S. stuff getting to the job (physicals and orientation) and getting started. Once I get my feet on the ground and some wrenches in my hands I'm fine
I take pride in my work and know what I'm doing
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 01:47:43 PM »
That would make you an artisean as am i. Glad to see a working man on the job Those of us that work with our hands get a satisfaction that only we understand. Keep up the good work
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 02:04:50 PM »
Good for you!!!!!!!! Sounds like a good job. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 02:27:07 AM »
Heck... having to do two folks jobs sounds like "job security" to me.  As long as you can make it work and do the job, they won't be able to afford to let you go.  Someone has to do the work and right now they are going to be making money just by having you on the payroll.

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline magooch

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 03:09:33 AM »
Guys, when you talk about the alternative to work, you might be leaving out retirement.  Let me tell ya, retirement is fabulous.  It's at least as good as winning the lotto.  I recommend it.  One little warning though, it can be very time consuming.  I can't seem to find time for anything but fun stuff.
Swingem

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 03:40:39 AM »
Magooch......I find it hectic since I retired. I don't know where to put myself. Either on the gun range or down to the fishing hole! ;D

Offline magooch

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 03:47:50 AM »
Well, then don't take up kayaking, because then like with me, the woodshop full of power tools, all the guns, motorcycles, and all the other toys will gather dust.
Swingem