Author Topic: single shot butt heavy  (Read 817 times)

Offline whacker

• Trade Count: (0)
single shot butt heavy
« on: November 18, 2008, 05:14:45 PM »
Awhile back I read some threds on differant ways to make your single shot a little less kicky.
  I have a NEF 12 gauge. I started with useing three rolls of nickles now I'm down to just one roll, I also put on a buttstock shell holder. The gun is still a little butt heavy but not as bad as it was. And I know as soon as I start useing the shells from the shell holder the butt will start to lighten. What I'm trying to do is lessen the kick and have a semi balanced gun. Please put in your two cents.

you have to shoot good, to eat good 8)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: single shot butt heavy
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 11:23:14 PM »
The easiest way to lighten the "felt" recoil of a Pardner is to put on a Simms Limbsaver recoil pad.  They work...Gander Mountain has the slip on version for about $30, but I hear that Wal-Mart has a better price, if you can find one there. 

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 03:31:10 AM »
There is also a device that goes in the hole in the stock that relies on moving parts more than just weight to reduce the recoil. You could end up with more value in gadgets than the value of the gun though. Maybe some lighter loads is better. Also, a tight grip with your front hand reduces recoil by adding the weight of your forearm to the gun weight.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 06:27:05 AM »
There are several methods of recoil reduction listed in the FAQs and Help sticky, my favorite being the upgraded recoil pad, Cookie's  Limbsaver is my favorite too, and a mercury recoil reducer if that's not enough, a 16oz MRR ($35 from MPC) will reduce the felt recoil more than even more dead weight will and overall weight is less which is good for carry.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 03:21:28 AM »
I use the "Sissy pad" from Walmart.  I think it cost about $8.  My 28" barreled 12 seems to balance perfect for me but I do favor (3 - 1 - 6) for a carry load.  This load is hard to find and I end up with (3 1/4 - 1 1/8 - 6) most of the time.  Thats Dram eq., oz of shot and shot size.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 12:35:10 PM »
I agree that the addition of a simms Limbsaver recoil pad will be the best bang for your buck to tame the recoil.

I have used a mercury insert once on a trap gun with favorable results. Handis are well suited to this addition as well.

Good luck in which ever you choose.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.