Author Topic: Is the Wolf accurate and reliable?  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Is the Wolf accurate and reliable?
« on: December 01, 2007, 09:42:46 AM »
A friend of mine bought a Wolf kit for 189 buck at Dunhams. He showed this to me and I am initially impressed. I am looking for some field experiences from anyone willing to share.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Kragman71

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Is the Wolf accurate and reliable?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 08:39:57 AM »
Cheesehead
I got a Wolf for Christmas,from my Wife.
Of all the Inline MZLs at the store,it was the one that I liked most.
I have not fired it much,but I do know that the sights are somewhat flimsy.I put a Bushnell Holosight on it,and I'm well satisfied.
Never shot it at 100 yds,but my 50 yd group is 1 1/4 inch.
I'll have to wait for better weather
So far,it's definately a "Keeper".
Frank
Frank

Offline beerhunter

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 07:27:07 AM »
The plastic sights on the wolf are cheap, try to find the some after market sights for it. ( I had a stag horn with the same sights and all you had to do was push them and they will move.) I have a wolf and an optima pro I put the Pro's sights on the wolf since i have a scope on the pro.

Offline 1 id dog

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 01:34:08 PM »
 Mr Cheesehead, I have the plain optima in 50 cal. just got it a couple of weeks ago. I think they are basically the same gun. One of my hunting buddies has a wolf and gets pretty decent accuracy out of it. He has killed several deer with it so far and I've heard no complaints from him so far. Up until this point I've shot traditional but these old eyeballs ain't going to let me do that any longer so I took the plunge. So far I haven't found just the exact load I want, but i have got it to less than a 1 1/4 inch at 50 yards. I'll be moving to the hundred yard mark now to fine tune a load. All in all they seem to be pretty decent guns for the money and they might be a little picky about their diet. As others have stated the sights may not be up to snuff. I dont know as they were the first to go on my buddies and mine and we put on scopes. One thing about it the money saved may allow a pretty decent sighting system to be added and still not have a furtune invested in it.  Good Luck! and keep us posted!

Offline Bamasnyper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 02:01:40 PM »
My wife bought me one for Christmas. Cabelas had them on sale for $119.00, and I had a coupon for another $20.00 off. I haven't shot it yet, but for $99.00, I don't see how I could go wrong.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 03:14:30 PM »
I considered the Wolf for some time, being impressed with my friends rifle. I had a traditional type that i sold and wanted to move to the in line. I recently purchased a Savage Model 10 ml . I have bought a scope for it and am looking forward to some range time.

Cheese

Offline dave50cal

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
    • Sutton Outfitters Fishing Supplies
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 11:06:13 AM »
My Wolf shoots a 300g bullet at 150 yards 3 inch group consistently without cleaning after each shot. I shot 9 deer with mine this past season and my father shot 4 deer with it this year also. The parts for the Optima will swap out. I challenge anyone to say that this gun isn't capable of 200 yards shots consistent tight groups. this isnt an old sidelock with a 100 yard range,its a great long distance shooting gun! I have pics to proove my statements! The Wolf is a great gun! (mine has a Bergara barrel if it makes a difference and its a 2007)  Dave

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 12:06:17 PM »
Dave,

What bullets, sabot and powder do you use?

Cheese

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 06:30:40 AM »
My Wolf has been exceptional.  It matters that you break them in right and "season" the bore correctly.  I can consistently hit a 6" gong with mine at 200 meters and group 2" or less at 100 meters.  I shoot Powerbelts, TC Sabots and my own lead cast Lee REAL slugs.  They shoot balls like poop because the twist is wrong.

I paid $125 for mine new 4 yrs ago and I got one for my son for $50 new and a Gander blow out sale.  I have also added aftermarket sights to mine.

Lazer
LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford

Offline moto357

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 02:36:55 PM »
My dad bought me one a while back.  I didn't know anything about them before that, but thought it shoulderd pretty comfy.  If I recall I was getting good accuracy "out of the box" with 777 and a 250gr xtp. 

Since then I've massaged the gun a bit.  Put a scope up on top, lapped the barrel, fabricated a breech plug to accept a 32 s&w, and a trigger job.  The factory trigger was almost ten lbs, its closer to 2 and half now.  I also only shoot conicals, it seems to like those and pyrodex p. 

Anyways, mine was a gift, not that it matters, shoots good and cleans easy too.  I think they are a bit cheaply made, but if you were to do something about the sights and trigger its an awfully fun gun.

Offline aldar

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 03:54:55 AM »
bought mine a month ago and only been to the range a few times. I'm able to get consistant groups of 3" or less with the open sights using T7 loose powder at 80Gr's and Hornady 245 gr sabots at 100yds. the muzzleloader season opens here in a week and it will be with me opening day. I'm sure mine is a 2008 model and find it to be almost identical to the NEF Huntsman. The breech is easy to remove and clean. I'm thinking that with more shooting and fine tuning the groups can tighten up even more.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 04:47:56 AM »
I bought one for my son several years ago. It shoots 3 inch groups using powerbelts at 100 yards and goes off every time. Very good bang for your buck.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.