Author Topic: New barrel fo my N.E.F  (Read 1115 times)

Offline furface

• Trade Count: (0)
New barrel fo my N.E.F
« on: October 15, 2008, 03:07:56 PM »
I sent in my N.E.F. Partner receiver to have a slug barrel installed.  I sent it out by US Mail on Sep. 18-2008 and picked it up at UPS on Oct. 14-2008. We are having trubal with the sightes, But the work looks good.

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
Re: New barrel fo my N.E.F
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 08:23:47 AM »
Which slug barrel did you get and what type of trouble are you having with the sights?  Since you mention sights, it sounds like one of the Tracker II barrels.  That was a nice quick trip to the factory and back.

Welcome to GBO.  (I just looked at your profile and see that you have been here a long time, just not a frequent poster  ;)  )
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline kernman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 02:49:25 AM »
I sent away for a 20 gauge slug barrel for my Pardner. When I got it, apparently the V notch, or whatever they use, was missing.

It's just two piecesThe top piece is a sliding ramp used for elevation. So I installed a regular bolt (as in "nuts and bolts") on

the ramp and made a peep sight out of it. For now, I'm holding it in place with duct tape. I plan to have a gunsmith fix it permanent.

It's amazing simple, and looks like one of those old-time penny arcade sights where you shoot those floating rubber ducks. But it works very well.

I hit a dead center bulls eye at about 15 yards, from a benchrest. The next shot, at 25 yards was just 1/4 inche outside the bulls eye.

I didn't shoot a lot of rounds since sabots are so expensive. But so far this slug gun rocks. I plan to put a scope on it next year. I am using it this year as a backup deer gun during we weather.

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 06:09:40 AM »
At those ranges you can use the cheap Remington Sluggers for a whole lot less money and be just as accurate.  Give them a try, it might surprise you.  They are also cheaper to use when sighting a scope for the first time.  Then when you are close you can switch to your regular hunting load to dial it in.  I think the Sluggers were less than $4.00 a box and cheaper per shot if you buy the 15 round box.

I also "lost" the blade insert for my .Handi .45-70.  Upon closer inspection of the case, I found the blade right up against the side.  If I had seen the insert first I may have just tossed it in the parts box and forgot about it.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline kernman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 03:34:02 PM »
d hiker,

I'm not sure if you reply was for me, or furface. But in any case I always wanted to put a peep sight on one of my guns. As it turned out it happened to be a shotgun.
My old eyes can't see those v notches anymore. Peep sights have been popular for a long time, and now i understand why.

I plan to try shooting at 50 yards with the peep sights, and if that goes well at 75. I would like to see about installing fiber optics on the front sight. Anyone know how I could do this?

I would definitely try the Remington sluggers if they are cheaper, at least for practice. I'm stuck with copper slugs here in California's lead-free zone.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 05:19:50 PM »
See Peep and Firesights in the FAQs and Help sticky for some ideas, the Williams Shotgun Shorty ramp should work fine, it's available in sizes for both 12ga and 20ga barrels, if the 6-48 screw won't work, they can be epoxied in place easily, same for a WGRS rear sight if it isn't drilled and tapped for a scope base.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 05:48:20 PM »
kernman,
Actually the reply was to you, but would apply to either of you.  Hunting in a lead free zone does limit what you can shot and the price of ammo. 

Offline kernman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 01:20:35 AM »
quickdtoo,

I checked out the FAQs before I responded to this post. Maybe I missed something, but it seems geared mainly to handi rifles. Could you steer me to a particular post/posts for info on slug guns?

I have read a lot of the old posts as well. They are very informative. However, it seems the more we experiment with these NEF's, the more questions that arise

That's the beauty of it, for me: due to spare parts, barrels, you can basically create a gun tailored to your exact needs

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 04:07:18 AM »
Best advice would be to use the search feature selecting only this forum from the list and searching for sights.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=search
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 06:06:01 AM »
Hey, kernman, can you post a pic of what you did with the bolt and all.  I am not seeing it in my "minds eye" ???
Thanks

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline kernman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 01:28:05 AM »
Cookiemann,

I will try to post a picture. I am not good at this kind of thing but I hope my wife can help me. I'll try to do it this weekend. Thank you for your patience.

Meanwhile, I think you may be able to easily recreate what I did:

The standard tracker barrel rear sight apparently comes in three pieces. It consists of an anchor piece, which is sodered to the barrel. Above this is a movable elevation ramp, with a screw to tighten it where you want it.

This is topped by a U-notch (like a V-notch, or buckhorn sight). Mine was missing when they sent me the new barrel, so I fastened a bolt on the elevation ramp, temporarily, with duct tape.

Basically, I made a peep sight for the cost of a small bolt.

This seems to be a very forgiving arrangement, at least with the Remington copper solids that I used at the range. At 15 yards with 6 oclock hold a scored a centered bulls eye. This set up rocks!

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 08:25:52 AM »
Do you mean a small nut instead of a small bolt?  I can picture using a small nut for a peep.

Offline kernman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 12:19:31 PM »
d _ hiker,

Yes a small nut. Sorry about the confusion.