Author Topic: Quality of Blackthorne AR15 upper kits/w barrel and stock?  (Read 4603 times)

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
Quality of Blackthorne AR15 upper kits/w barrel and stock?
« on: December 03, 2008, 02:51:24 PM »

Dear Guys,

I see posted on some of the boards a Blackthorne AR15 upper kit, which has the complete upper receiver, both stocks, a 20 inch heavy chromed barrel, and everything else except a stripped lower receiver, for about a $579 buy price.  (Barrel fully attached and headspaced.)

My questions are:

1.  Does anybody know anything about the quality of these?

2.   The ad claims you just mount it on a standard AR lower receiver.   Is it just that easy?  I mean, could you buy a Bushmaster lower, and just put it all together with no sweat? 

Thanks for all info.

Mannyrock

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: Quality of Blackthorne AR15 upper kits/w barrel and stock?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 04:02:09 PM »
Great post....where did you see this?  I have a stripped lower that I'd like to build on.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 04:49:50 PM »
I did some looking into it after seeing brand new blackthorne uppers very cheap on gunbroker.  Everything I read and every persons advice was to stay away from them because they were junk.  I've never held one or shot one, but that's what I've read & been told.  Hope that helps.

Offline backstrap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 04:51:26 PM »
Well i cheacked in to those 1 time and if u would like to have a mossberg barrel then go for it. i bought my kit for a stripped lower from mobel 1 for less than 550 but it wasnt a heavy barrel i am sure there are kits and complete upper halfs cheper than 579, that are better barrel makers than mossberg.check out www.mobel1sales.com  or www.rguns.net   or  www.del-ton.com.  but these sights dont give u a extra stock ,well the kits u have to put the kit in the stripped lower and are a little trickey but with a little time u will get it together. but if it where me i think i would rather have a better barrel than mossberg and lose out on the extra stock to have a better barrel
1 shot 1 kill

Offline mrbgt

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 06:23:38 PM »
I have the A3 20'' , i bought it when they were $369 for the complete kit . compared to my 16'' M&A middy (PAID $475 for it ) , the stock set isn't quite as nice, most the parts look to be DPMS ,Mossberg barrel I assume (other companies are now useing mossberg barrels fwiw) . Only problem i had was the bolt catch had a burr and it would ride the bolt carrier and this caused a few jams , touched it up with a file and solved the problem . My buddy ordered a 20'' varmint kit and was pleased with his. I have added a float tube and it now has a railed gas block instead of the cut fsb .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Offline mrbgt

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 06:27:49 PM »
the first group i adjusted the elevation after the 1st shot . its about a 1 moa rifle . My M&A middy shoots a little better ( wilson match grade barrel ) it drives winchester white box under 1 moa                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 01:01:30 PM »
Dear Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I hope I get a few more.

These Blackthorne kits are listed on gunbroker[dot]com

My on-line research seems to indicate that:

1.  The main problem that folks had with these kits were that (i) there were often small parts missing, and (ii) there were sometimes burs on the small parts that needed minor filing and fitting.  Trying to get satisfaction on these issues from the customer service department apparently was fruitless.

2.  The external fit and finish of the receiver and certain parts is not as nice as the Colts, Bushmasters, DPMS etc., (but really, as long as it functions ok then I wouldn't care).  Also, its seems like most people are now saying that the parts are primarily DPMS parts.  So, maybe they have improved?

3.  These kits got lots of flak early on for having Mossburg barrels (but apparently, lots of companies use Mossburg barrels now?, and so maybe this isn't as much of a stima?).  I'm not looking for a varmint rifle, and 2 inch moa would be fine with me, so if a Mossburg barrel will do that, then I'm fine with that.

4.  The number of complaints seems to have dropped off alot in the last 12 months or so, so maybe the company ironed out the bugs with these kits?, or got more careful about checking the packages before they sent them out?

One comment that worried me a little, on several internet boards, was that if you are experienced in building and debugging the AR rifles, then these kits will probably been fine for you, but if you are not experienced with this, these could be big trouble and a huge headache.

I would love to hear more from folks that have had recent experience with these within the past year.  (I've never even fired an AR-15, much less assembled and de-bugged one.  :-0)

Thanks, Mannyrock

Offline mrbgt

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 03:28:41 AM »
If you decide to order from them, order from blackthorne's website , its cheaper than ordering through gunbroker .Like most suppliers they are waiting on parts , so see the back order notice ! AR's are basically pin together rifles, if you have any mechanical ability you can slap these together . Upper to lower fit is sometimes hit and miss my blackthorne upper is a good fit with my double star lower (very little play), my m&a middy is a very tight fit with my stag lower (no wobble) .

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 03:02:44 AM »
You have to remember that most of these AR suppliers do not manufacture their own parts.  There are only 2 or 3 original suppliers of small parts for the AR's (stag and lewis machine are two) and about 4 or 5 manufactuers of receivers.  All are manufactured to military specifications.  Some kits are stamped with one name, and some with other names.  So no matter where you buy the assembly or kit from, you should have quality parts.  Even the big name gun companys buy most of their parts from these same suppliers.  So even if you buy a DPMS, Stag, Bushmaster, Remington, or Rock River, or a no-name kit, it's likely they all have most of the same parts.  If you like the price and the way it looks, buy it.  Even with the big boys kit's, you occasionally have to take a file to something.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!