Author Topic: 223 bull barrel  (Read 714 times)

Offline bugdust

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
223 bull barrel
« on: December 15, 2008, 02:06:12 PM »
You guys talked me into buying a 22 Hornet - my first HandiRifle.  Most of my guns are Contenders.I like this rifle so much I going to order another barrel. This will be for a 223. I have two options a regular barrel or a bull barrel. I shoot mostly cast so with the 1-9 twist instead of a 1-12 which I found out on this forum the velocity is going to be pretty slow.Like about 1700 fps. The rifle will be used mostly for target shooting. What would be the advantage if any for buying the bull barrel.

Thanks. This is a great forum

Bugdust

Offline NMUltra

Re: 223 bull barrel
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 04:47:22 PM »
If you opt for the Ultra bull barrel, you'll get 2 more inches of tube... Maybe you'll squeeze a few more fps out of the round.
Always dally thumb up

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 04:53:50 PM »
If you opt for the Ultra bull barrel, you'll get 2 more inches of tube... Maybe you'll squeeze a few more fps out of the round.

I agree!! 
 That's what I have and by all means stick with the bull barrel. Mine and many many others shoot sub MOA with the ammo they like. Mine likes a hand load of H322 powder, a 53 gr Sierra bullet, sparked with a Rem 7 1/2 match primer.

I'll add something else. The barrel add option seems to be getting better, but for the aggravation and time, maybe just buy the complete 223 varmint and be done with it. I have used the barrel addition a couple times and feel for the hassle, I'll just buy the complete package, of coarse that's easy for me to say, I have most all I want in calibers.  ::)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline bugdust

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 02:55:39 AM »
I called customer service for a question about the scope mount. I was informed that the order blank was outdated. They have added a 30 dollar charge for proof testing. I asked why. Remington wants it for liability purposes and some one has to go out the range and fire the gun- Gads. The customer service man first appeared rude then I realized it was just a case of stupidity and his intentions were good. He said contrary to written instructions do not send a payment until they received the order. They may want to add additional charges. I have decided to go for the 24 inch bull. The advice to buy a new package is starting to sound good and I may go this way.

thanks for the help

Bugdust

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 10:25:53 AM »
  >:( If this information is accurate I WILL NOT be using the barrel program !  :-[
Jim

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 10:29:53 AM »
  >:( If this information is accurate I WILL NOT be using the barrel program !  :-[

Nothing against Remington or anyone, but at the price of a Handi and the potential annoyance & aggravation, (I mentioned before) at least in my mind it pays to just buy the complete rifle.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 02:19:11 PM »
I agree CW, especially since it is advisable to have designated frames.
Jim