Author Topic: Question for the guys from Colorado  (Read 649 times)

Offline WhiteMtnCur

• Trade Count: (0)
Question for the guys from Colorado
« on: July 12, 2003, 07:01:37 AM »
For all of you from Colorado, since the ban on trapping in 1997, thus eliminating the vast majority of effective predator control methods, how have you seen the predator numbers affect game populations?

Have you seen a decrease in mule deer numbers? Fewer fawns and mature bucks? Any reductions in the number of sage grouse or antelope?

Or have you not really noticed a difference in game species because of predators?

[Could you also include where you're from in Colorado.]

Thank you.

Offline WhiteMtnCur

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2003, 02:33:20 PM »
yote killer, Porkypine, Harley? Anyone want to comment?

Offline Matt in AK

• Contributor
Alaska...
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2003, 04:31:40 PM »
I used to live in Ft Collins...but let me tell you about Alaska and her predators...

There's a spot where Fish & Game decided to do some predator control -- mostly killin' black bears and movin' grizz.  Seems that before this happened about 75% of moose calves were being killed.  Now, after the predator control, only about 25% were killed by predators.
Isaiah 6:8

Offline harley

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 09:37:15 AM »
I haven't been here long enough( about 4 years) to be able to attribute the muley situation with the lack of trapping. Colorado was in a down cycle on the muleys when I arrived, as was most of the west. The down swing was less noticable in the Salmon River area of Idaho( where I came to Colorado from) the populations there were in pretty good shape.

Here in Colorado the mule deer are still in a recovery stage( not seeing a lot of recovery). I think that a GROWING elk population has as much to do with the mulies as anything. There are elk everywhere here.I live in a fair size town ( Grand Junction) and I can get into elk 30 minutes or less from town. I noticed in Idaho that when an elk herd became dominant in a particular drainage area the mulies moved out.

The coyote population is really booming, particularly in agriculture areas where you can't really get the rifles on them. This is having a real impact on upland game.Let's hear some other opinions from guys who have been here longer than me.     Harley
Ride Free-Ride Far