Author Topic: Are you reducing charitable giving?  (Read 601 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Are you reducing charitable giving?
« on: November 24, 2008, 04:44:46 AM »
Are you reducing your charitable giving because of the economy and taxes this year? I'm not quite to that point yet, but I'm close. The big issue is taxes in my state. It seems the government wants to handle charity for me.
Safety first

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Are you reducing charitable giving?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 05:38:51 AM »
Nope no change.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 05:59:53 AM »
I give a little over 10% of my gross income.  I probably always will.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline powderman

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 06:25:45 AM »
We give our tithe, 10%, to our church, you can't outgive God. Other than that it's helping out a homeless friend as much as we can. Money is tight since they cut my hours, back to regular hours this week, probably will be til Christmas, then it's anybodys guess. POWDERMAN.  :( :(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 10:10:43 AM »
nope, i am giving more than ever.   (g.b.'s ar fund counts, right?)  ???

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 11:53:04 AM »
this  is a  good  cause
i  just  feel  dumb  being  the fund raiser
so  you  might  want  to help  with  the shipping

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,156671.0.html
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 12:31:11 AM »
Yes and no.  Like others here I give a little over 10% of my income.  However, my income has declined a little due to the affects of the economy on the construction trades.  So percentage wise no change.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 12:42:23 AM »
The last few years I was working for very little pay. That changed this spring and now I am making progress as far as getting things paid off and I have increased my giving accordingly

Offline jhm

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 03:39:38 AM »
Not so much effect this year, However a few years back we decided when the phone rang off the hook that we were going to change, So once a year we give to one charity that WE pick out of a jar (their name that is) If you are one of the ones calling you dont get a turn in the JAR and the callers are told they have been removed and WHY!!  This year the stack has gotten larger because the callers have been less, that's how the CANCER society get our money this year.   Jim

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 04:02:40 AM »
Our giving has remained about the same percentage.  I also don't give to phone solicitors, one exception is the Red Cross Blood Donation.  If the ARC calls it is usually because I forgot to set an appointment to donate.  I know they start to run short of blood supplies this time of year.  I would encourage anyone that is healthy and able, to consider a blood donation, it only cost you a little of your time.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 03:36:17 AM »
Not less - more.  We tithe and my 401K has been really beat up this year, but our church has some special needs right now and we will give more.  Also thinking of sponsoring another child with Christian Childrens Fund.

We have much to be thankful for today.  Always have. 

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 08:33:39 AM »
It seems once you give to one, they get your name and number from a list that must be passed around. I learned to JUST SAY NO to all. Tired of people calling looking for a handout I never heard of!

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 05:26:48 PM »
I draw the line at telephone solicitors.  I tell them that I do NO business over the phone.  I put us on the "DO NOT CALL" list, but they seem to call anyway.

About a year ago, I purchased a book, I believe called - "Who Really Cares?"  The book presented a pretty well documented case that conservatives are exceedingly more generous than liberals. 

My daughter and I were discussing  this today and she indicated that the Palins, on an adjusted gross income under $150K/yr donated about $4800/yr to charity.   That was considerably more than the total of Biden's charitable giving for 10 years on a cumulative income of $2.5 million.  SEveral Googled results seem to confirm this. (palin vs. biden charitable giving)

One article said that the average American household gives about 2% adjusted gross income to charity.  Palin was 2.75%, Biden 1/8th of 1%.  Seems to support what that book says. :-[
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Oldtimer

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 09:32:19 AM »
Since I retired, I give of my time.  Right now, we are selecting partner families for next year for Habitat for Humanity.  Advent begins tomorrow, so I will be busy over Christmas doing things at the church.  I have a mission trip in a week down to Louisiana.  I will probably be secretary for the local volunteer fire department next year.  With my back problems, I can't run fire or rescue calls any more, so it's the least I can do.  I don't try to add up the amount of time, as I figure that God has a handle on that, and will allot me what He thinks I need.

We also give to the church and up our pledge this year.  We have what we need, so it is not going to be a burden to give a bit more.  My wife and I also donate to our respective colleges, not a lot, but enough to keep them calling us.  As for phone solicitations, never.  The ones that call in the name of fire and rescue really get an earful from me.  To my mind, they are poaching on the local fire department's territory, and I hate poachers.