Author Topic: Are people buying a lot of guns in your area?  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Are people buying a lot of guns in your area?
« on: November 17, 2008, 03:12:23 AM »
I'm not sure about my area, but I've read that other regions of the country have booming gun sales now.
Safety first

Offline Glanceblamm

Re: Are people buying a lot of guns in your area?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 03:40:47 AM »
I am not sure about the gun sales in my area but the shelf's at my local supplier (who is usually well stocked on all reloading componets) were getting kind of bare.
I was glad that they had what I went in there for!

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 03:49:30 AM »
I know for a fact that finding an AR for sale on the internet has become much more difficult. Take R&R arms for instance. Before the election they had every AR there was in stock. I don't think they even have one in stock now. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 03:58:02 AM »
I was looking online at the normal dealers for stripped AR lowers and couldn't even find one of those.  Several places wouldn't even take backorders.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 04:04:29 AM »
The evening news said sales on guns were up 13%
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 04:23:59 AM »
Sales on ARs is brisk and the supply chain on them has about dried up. Ammo and magazines for them are almost impossible to get. Small rifle primers are out of stock almost everywhere and large rifle primers are not in good supply but some do have them still. Pistol primers are in stock most everywhere so it's pretty clear folks are stocking up for loading .223, 7-62x39 and .308 primarily.

Bolt rifle sales are slow and local dealers don't really want to take them in on trade even for other bolt guns. If it's semiauto or a pump shotgun it's going as fast as it comes in.

I think the American public is very uneasy about the near future and perhaps long term future of America. They are definitely arming at a rate seldom if ever seen before. This time I suspect many maybe even most have a resolve to not take what they fear is coming laying down. I actually think Americans as a group are ready to fight for freedom and liberty if that's what it comes to. Might be wrong but that's the message I'm getting from what's going on.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline crustaceous

• Contributor
  • back for a limited engagement
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 04:47:00 AM »
I was in the Denver Sportsman's Warehouse last week. They had plenty of hunting rifles but the handgun wall was almost completely bare.
Even before he is sworn in, Obama is doing something to stimulate the economy! :o ::) ;D

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 05:15:08 AM »
Handguns and AR's are what is selling in most of our gun shops here in Delaware. Also defence style shotguns are selling well.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 05:26:45 AM »
Gun sales in North TX. is high, that is about all they say on the news, not
what or how many, just sales are high. Like GB said it is hard to believe folks are buying all these guns so they will have something to turn in when obama
says to.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 05:31:23 AM »
Guess alot of folks are going to have canoes turn over in deep water next summer !

NEXT THING YOU KNOW ALL CANOES WILL BE SOLD WITH OUT RIGGERS !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 05:38:29 AM »
Sales on rifles, ammunition, and anything deer hunting related are up in Northern Wisconsin this time of year as usual, but the reason is because our regular deer/gun season will be starting this coming weekend (November 22–30). Not sure how the sales on ARs and related equipment are selling in this neck of the woods.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 05:41:41 AM »
Guess alot of folks are going to have canoes turn over in deep water next summer !

NEXT THING YOU KNOW ALL CANOES WILL BE SOLD WITH OUT RIGGERS !

errybody needs to get it thru their heads and understand it real clearly. Excuses ain't gonna cut it if/when the day comes they send the storm troopers door to door for your guns. You can make all the excuses you want but if you can't produce them you will be jailed and no not in a cell. They already have established concentration camps to hold tens of thousands in conditions not fit to house hundreds. The expectation is most will die and that is the intent I believe.

If/when the day comes you really have two choices. Stand, fight and likely die or capitulate. The time to decide which is long before the day arrives. It's a personal decision each must make but make no mistake it's a decision you will one day make. So stop making silly internet excuses and make some hard decisions on what ya gonna do. If you can't produce the guns or a piece of paper showing where it went then do not expect them to leave without taking you along if you don't fork them over. This ain't gonna be a game it's gonna be deadly serious if it comes to pass.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 05:54:34 AM »
I thoroughly believe GB is correct, I hope we can see this coming far enough ahead
to do something, like organize or something. If they come for the guns,
it won't be OH YOU SOLD YOURS, well that is fine. Maybe they will take
notarized bills of sale, but then you will still be an exgun owner, and that might
not hold water. I think you better have an air tight plan,or have you hat and coat
in hand, or a pistole in each hand.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 06:16:45 AM »

It may be partly the HIGH TAX that been perposed on all guns ammo and brass bullets primers and etc.

That is my idea. Place a order with Midsouth this morning, They were out of 30 cal bullts I wanted.
  On backorder.

Hope every thing comes out ok.  Marv.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 12:29:29 PM »
Many of you know I work in a large retail outdoor store.  Never in my 50 + years have I seen anything like this.   It's a gun "bubble".  After all, the US has become a country of "bubbles" hasn't it?

We're sold out of Bushmasters, small smiths, walthers, and most Taurus products.  The ammo isle is almost empty.

Our large reloading section is void of most pound cans of powder but the big jugs are still available.  Most of the popular calibers of bullets are gone.  Primers are down to a few thousand.

Looks grim to me fellows......
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 01:21:40 PM »
Business is brisk around central Texas.  Went to the gun show last weekend and you could hardly walk around.  Ammo was flying out of there and everything else that went bang was selling at a premium.

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 01:26:27 PM »
Gonna create a false shortage and send the prices through the roof. Lets all wait to the last minute and all of the sudden lets arm ourselves. SHEEPLE Where was the voice of outrage on election day. Been stocking up for years

The early bird gets the worm
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline CannonKrazy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 01:52:35 PM »
Defiantly!!!! People are buying guns that they normally wouldn't think of having just because of the newly elected president. Any gun store you go into the conversation revolves around what lies ahead. Most gun owners are scared that their hobby will be taxed to the max or worse. All the stores in the near by counties are sold out of all AR rifles many different types of other semi autos. Ammo and reloading supplies are quickly disappearing.

I heard on the news that South Carolina in going to have a 2nd Amendment Recognition Tax free gun sale the day after Thanksgiving. First time I ever heard of that. I live about an hour away so I just might have to take a trip over there.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 03:20:37 PM »

Distributers are limiting how much ammo a dealer can order. A couple of gun dealers I know here in Ohio, ran out of guns to sell at the gun shows. Reminds me of '93 and '94. Clinton did more to sell guns than anybody else. But it looks like Obama might just set new records. Might want to buy an extra high cap mag or 2, as he said he wants to bring back the assault weapons ban also. Wall street might be taking a dump, but the firearms industry is taking off.  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 03:33:09 PM »
feeding frenzy is the best description i'v hear used here
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 04:36:44 PM »
I am of the opinion that they are not going to outlaw weapons per say. I think they will put a tax on firearms and ammunition that will make it prohibitive for people to own and shoot firearms. It is not illegal to own full auto weapons just cost prohibitive. AS the cost goes up the numbers of shooters and hunters will decline, This will go on until a point that there are too few supporters of the 2nd ammendment to make a difference. Just think all that without banning a gun or confiscating anything.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 04:39:22 PM »
Friend of mine runs a pawn shop.  Folks are trading the old lady's diamonds for guns.  I could carry in my hands all the ammo he has left.

Who woulda' thunk it?

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 05:12:16 PM »
 if greybeard is correct why are we not supporting nra and mabe even organising a little bit more of an grass root responce ,,in an organised way.. why not selling adds on tv to paint a different pic than the media does of gun ownership..do something to organise now.. be too late when they come to you door..jmo

Offline muskeg13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 08:08:56 PM »
As of this afternoon, Sportsman's Whse in Wasilla is out of all primers except a few thousand high priced benchrest/match primers.  They are out of economy bulk .22LR.  They are out of almost all 1-2 lb powders, with a few exceptions, fortunately for me IMR 7828 and VV N540 must not be too popular, because I got some of the last rifle powder of any kind they had left.  They also had some Pyrodex P and 777 fffg.  Most popular pistol and rifle powders in bulk containers...gone.  Bullets in military sized calibers..bare shelves.  I must have heard a dozen guys gasp when the turned the corner and saw the bare shelves.  The last two I ran into said, "I just came in to see for myself" and "He isn't even in office yet!" as I cradled 5 lbs of powder and a box of .30 gas checks.  To bewildered looks, I just replied, "I'm not taking any chances."  At the check out, the lady said customers have been buying new ammo coming in before they can even stock it on the shelves, right off of the shipping flats.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2008, 01:52:26 AM »
Are people buying a lot of guns in your area?

Yup. Hand guns, shotguns and AR/AK type semi-automatic rifles are flying of the shelves.  Picked up a used  revolver just before the election and have a 'wounder nine' on order myself. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2008, 03:29:53 AM »
Here in Wyo the local paper ran a story about how there was a run on auto rifles and bullets, then I went to one of the stores that they had featured, and I saw several on the racks. Once again, you can not believe the media anymore, they decide what there story line is and then they go interview people and just don't hear anything that doesn't agree with what they already decided.

In this state I think most people that wanted military rifles bought them long ago. It doesn't make a lot of sense to rush out and buy one the day before an administration that may ban them takes office. If I remember right the Australians took a real beating on the value of the guns they had to hand over.

Offline jimster

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2008, 12:18:53 PM »
Sales went up at the gun shop close to me,  according to the owner, lots of handguns, and semi auto rifles of one kind or another.  I agree with Bilmac, most people who wanted those already have them, and sometimes those same people probably just buy more of them.  Don't know why, you can only carry so many and use so many.  We have seen this before.  There have been more than a few times where everyone went out and bought lots of stuff because of the politics of it.  It does make for some pretty good deals after it's all over and some people want to scale back a bit when they are hard up for cash.  Most people that are already into guns and reloading had some fairly generous supplies already compared to how much your really going to be able to use up in most situations.  Which is not much if they ban the heck out of everything. 

Offline timmo58

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2008, 03:03:15 PM »
 absolutly a UPSdriver told me he has handled an increase of long guns of all sorts this increase is has leveled out some at a 300 percent increase central ny,,,,, but when you go to buy one, there is this delay they use against ya some 7 days at gander mt. binghamton ny said the first day dont even count nor do weekends so if ya wanted a long gun say for deer hunting in an open season. it would be over ...before you ever got approved to own a weapon  to use and here i thought only hand guns had a waiting period sucks in NY all the way around it must be a state that caters to illeagle aliens ie mexicans whites of their eyes aint none

Offline Explorer1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2008, 04:21:28 PM »
YES.  This is not a localized situation, made more wide spread with internet access to anyplace with a wire.

Local shops have bolt guns and shotguns, but semi-autos and ammo in many calibers are in demand - not on the shelf.

This does not even touch the backlog the BATF has on applications for specializes stuff like suppressors.  Demand was up over 10% for the year PRIOR to the election, that has skyrocketed and the FAX machines can not keep up with the submissions.

Offline G2Driver

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2008, 04:54:34 PM »
You may want to get bill of sale for your firearm now..even if they are false. Then when they come you will have a slip to show that Mr. Joe Blow bought that gun several months ago. As far as you know the info matched his driver license. so if it was false you had no way of knowing. But I believe they will either tax ammo so everything will be worthless and useless, or pass a bill that no lead bullets can be manufactured. Just my two cents worth.