Author Topic: binoculars  (Read 786 times)

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
binoculars
« on: November 25, 2008, 03:01:39 PM »
need advice on good binoculars.............$200-$400 range.............my Bushnell 3200, Mueller 2x7 and Lupie II 2x7 see much better than any I have now in the late evening hours..........

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: binoculars
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 06:08:33 PM »
I use and recommend Bushnell Legend 8x42.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Casull

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 08:06:02 PM »
GB, are you sure those are 8 x 42 and not 8 x 32?  I have the Bushnell Legend 10 x 40, and love them, but the 8 x might be a little easier to hold steady.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 03:20:01 AM »
Am I sure? Yeah REAL SURE after all I've only been using them for ten years or so. The 8x32 is a totally different animal and not nearly their equal. I believe they do also make a 10x42 which I have considered getting but for me the 8X works fine and has a larger exit pupil and wider FOV.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline OLDHandgunner

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 03:22:09 AM »
I tried alot of them. The best for me were 8x42 Nikon Monarch. And they are great for people who wear glasses.

Offline Casull

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 05:23:13 AM »
Am I sure? Yeah REAL SURE after all I've only been using them for ten years or so. The 8x32 is a totally different animal and not nearly their equal. I believe they do also make a 10x42 which I have considered getting but for me the 8X works fine and has a larger exit pupil and wider FOV.

You are right GB.  Total brain cramp here.  I got mine about three years ago, and they are 10 x 42.  At the time I considered getting the 8 x 42, but went with the higher power.  The 10 x 42 really brings things in, but I think the 8 x 42 are probably a little better for most people as they should be a little easier to hold steady and allow a bigger exit pupil, although I notice the 10 x 42 can see better in low light than I can.  At the point where my detail vision starts going in the woods (about twenty minutes after sunset), I can still see clearly through the Bushnells.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 10:41:01 AM »
Pentax makes an older poro prism binocular that is very good at gathering light and has a super image quality.  Their 7X50 is what I used for years until my kid took them home with him.  I now use Minox roof prism.  They are much lighter but more expensive. 

I makes sense to me to have binocs of equal image quality to your scope.  If you can see game with one and not the other, what's the use?

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 02:57:44 AM »
I've been reading rave reviews on the Minox BD 6.5x32 IF on another site. They have fold down eye cups. I like twist up cups since I wear glasses. Bushnell Legends and Nikon ATB 8x32 and 8x40 binoculars are good to go. I like the Rain Guard feature on the Bushnell binoculars. I helps on cold wet days.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Old English

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 11:57:53 PM »
Just got back from a 4 day hunt. My Nikkon 8/42 ATB binos are into their second year. I can totally recommend them to anyone who needs decent glass for a reasonable price. I am still amazed at how bright and sharp they are, no matter what the light. I certainly don't trust my eyes anymore, wish they did Lazik that would give me that kind of vision. I do not need to wear glasses but man I need binos. The rainguard feature like Bushnell uses would be the one thing I would change on them.

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 01:25:33 AM »
I have Pentax 8X42dcf s, That i got back in the late 90s. I also have  Pentax 10x24 UCF WR (compact). The 8X42s are bright clear work great with glasses and has a great ffield of view. The 10x24 are not quite as bright but just as clear. With a narrower field of view. If Your looking look at them all. no one is perfect for everyone. It's Fords Chevys 280 rem vs 270win.
When I bought my 8x42s I was working in a gun shop and had a selection of leupold,Ziess. The only one i did not try was Steiner we did not carry them. they can be had for around 300 if you shop around.
Don't fall into to the 700 dollar rifle put a 100dolar scope on it  buy the best you can afford  if it means waiting an extra month  you will be happier.

Just my 2cents worth
Foggy
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 06:16:30 AM »
I've got the Bushnell Legend 8x32 and can't find any fault in them at all.  Going on 4 years now, I think, and they are ALWAYS with me anytime I head out.  I love 'em.  Rainguard is fabulous and they are more than bright enough at any time of the morning, day, or evening, with the clarity and resolution to match. 

I sold a set of Burris Signature 10x50's and bought these.  The Burris were REALLY nice, but they were just too large and bulky for me, personally.  I don't stand sit very much, so I like the smaller Bushnells.  If all I did was sit, then the Burris were perfect. 

I'd recommend any of the Bushnell Legends without a second of hesitation to anyone.  I've looked through them all, and I keep trying to find a reason to buy the others.   ;D  It's hard to do, since the 8x32 covers everything I do so well.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 08:28:53 AM »
I ended up with Nikon  Monarch 10X42.......thanks for the ideas.

Offline OLDHandgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 01:09:45 AM »
You'll enjoy the Nikon Monarch 10x42. They are my next investment because the wife use's my Nikon Monarch 8x42 most of the time.