Author Topic: Can I put a 12 guage barrel on??  (Read 522 times)

Offline shootercochran

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
Can I put a 12 guage barrel on??
« on: December 05, 2008, 03:59:41 AM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.

I have a NEF  handi-rifle .  I am wondering if I can simply buy a 12 guage barrel for a pardner and put on it, OR do I actually have to send it in to NEF and get it fitted.

Thanks in advance.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Can I put a 12 guage barrel on??
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 04:22:21 AM »
Yes, you could buy one and put it on your rifle frame, mas long as yours is a centerfire frame and not a rimfire frame. The barrel might or might not fit as you get it. You could fit it yourself, and there is much help available here to do so. Good luck. I say go for it, it is not difficult and in fact is quite enjoyable. If you cannot fit the barrel you could always sell it here and buy and try another....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline shootercochran

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 05:12:29 AM »
Thanks! I'll prolly buy one then.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 07:20:58 AM »
OK buddy, many here have done so and I am sure you will be happy (and hooked) after you do it....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline shootercochran

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 07:51:28 AM »
How do I know if it fits properly?  I've never done this before.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 10:28:27 AM »
I suggest you check and then read and re-read the barrel fitting section in the FAQ's. After all that it may just fit fine when you get it. An inexpensive used shotgun barrel at about $40 would be just the ticket to start with to try your hand at fitting a barrel....<><....:)

(try it on the frame, it will either close and lock in position or not, then when it is closed check to see if the back of the barrel by the chamber is close to the action That is where you can start...IF you have to fit it, go slow and do only a little at a time, it is easier to take metal off than to put it on, but IF you make a mistake it is always pretty easy to shim up the barrel to fit...)

Offline shootercochran

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 07:27:23 AM »
THANKS!