Author Topic: USH optics  (Read 730 times)

Offline CJFirefly

• Trade Count: (0)
USH optics
« on: November 17, 2008, 03:55:48 PM »
The past couple weeks I've been unsuccessful at finding a new 12 gauge USH, every retailer that I contacted was out.  I was lucky enough to stumble across a local guy who was selling his.  I'm getting it for $175 and it comes with a Bushnell 4x scope.  I want to upgrade the scope to something with a little more power, like a 2-7x.  I see Nikon and Leupold both make one at this power.  Are there any others that you guys would recommend?  One complaint I've heard about the Leupold VX1 shotgun scope is that it isn't a one piece scope tube.  I'm not sure how valid a complaint this is, what do you guys think? 

Whatever it is I have to make a decision quickly cause I want to get the new scope mounted and sighted in so I can use it for the 2nd weekend of deer season here in MI. 

Thanks guys. 

Offline buckshooter

• Avid Poster
Re: USH optics
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
I this year just got a USH with Nikon slughunter scope.  I thought about just buying a Bushnell and shotgun scope for about 75 dollars.  Then I looked into the Nikon slughunter scope which has a BDC reticule, which has for lines in it, first line is 50, second line is 100, third line is 150, and the fourth line is 200.  What you do is put your gun dead on at 50, then when a deer is at 150 yards you don't have to aim 12 inch's high or what ever you need to do.  The scope does the compensating for you, so all you do is put the cross-hairs on where you want to hit.  Know the scope cost 250 dollars, but if your willing to spend money this is the scope I would get.  This scope is specifically design for slug guns. 

hope this helps
buckshooter   
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline CJFirefly

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 04:51:06 PM »
I this year just got a USH with Nikon slughunter scope.  I thought about just buying a Bushnell and shotgun scope for about 75 dollars.  Then I looked into the Nikon slughunter scope which has a BDC reticule, which has for lines in it, first line is 50, second line is 100, third line is 150, and the fourth line is 200.  What you do is put your gun dead on at 50, then when a deer is at 150 yards you don't have to aim 12 inch's high or what ever you need to do.  The scope does the compensating for you, so all you do is put the cross-hairs on where you want to hit.  Know the scope cost 250 dollars, but if your willing to spend money this is the scope I would get.  This scope is specifically design for slug guns. 

hope this helps
buckshooter   

Thanks for the recommendation buckshooter.  Do you know if the scope is calibrated for the 300-385 grain loads traveling around 2000 fps or the 1-1 1/8 oz loads traveling around 1500 fps? 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 11:56:01 PM »
I cannot say the calibrations of the NIKON for certain. But an educated guess is, its set for the newer hi-vel premium slugs that have recently proliferated our marketplace.

I prefer the Leupold line of scopes. Specifically the VXII and in your application the VXII SHOTGUN. Mount it on the factory base in LEUPOLD PRW LO rings and forget all worries. Just hunt and enjoy.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline whiskytangofoxtrot

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 01:01:06 PM »

hope this helps
buckshooter   

Thanks for the recommendation buckshooter.  Do you know if the scope is calibrated for the 300-385 grain loads traveling around 2000 fps or the 1-1 1/8 oz loads traveling around 1500 fps? 

The scope is not "calibrated" to any specific load.  Nor do the crosshair lines workout to 50, 100, 150, 200.  It will be different for every single load you use, and will require significant shooting to figure out the exact ranges and points of impact.  The scope is basically a Buckmaster that they charge an extra $100 for a cool looking recticle. 

For about the same price as the Nikon Slug scope, you can get the Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40, which is about twice as good optically.

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 11:20:36 AM »
As I recall, you kind of calibrate the dots or lines by adjusting the zoom for the particular load you are using. 
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline CJFirefly

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 09:42:09 AM »
Well I got a Leupold VX1 2-7x.  I was really bummed though cause I could not find a decent set of weaver rings rings locally, so I will order some from Natchez Shooter Supply.  Took the gun to the range anyways and shot it with the Bushnell Banner 4x that came with the gun.  Had some problems with Rem Buckhammers though (I started a new post about the issue).

Offline gary bartlow

• http://www.myspace.com/ilbucksndux
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 08:55:49 AM »
I personaly don't see any reason to need a 7x scope on a slug gun.For yraes i had a cheep Simmons 2x-7x on my 870 and found that it was more scope than I needed.I bought a Bushnell shot gun scope (don't remember the model it was around $220) and it only goes up to 4x and down to 1x.I really like it for those close shots,but I really don't like a scope for deer anyway so my opinion is skewed a bit.
God created man,Sam Colt made them equal.

Offline rlelvis

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 02:14:24 AM »
I purchased a 12 GA USH two years ago and after lots of research ended up with a Sightron 1.5x6.  I have been very pleased with the scope for the $.  Crisp adjustments, clear optics, good in low light, overall very satisfied so far.   I own several Leupolds and like every one but have gotten away from them in recent years because I see more and more problems with them, across their line of offerings.  Not trying to offend anyone here just my opinion.  I think the Sightron quality to cost ratio is up there and plan on buying another one this spring.

FWIW A couple of examples of the grouping I am getting, from a bench.

Here is a target I recently fired to verify my zero.  12ga USH D, Sightron scope, Fed tipped barnes 3/4oz 2 3/4, 35*, bench at 100 yards.

and another sighting group from last year, Fed barnes 1oz.