Author Topic: Newbi 223 Handi-rifle questoin  (Read 1209 times)

Offline walnutred

• Trade Count: (0)
Newbi 223 Handi-rifle questoin
« on: November 23, 2008, 01:25:47 AM »
I was looking for an inexpensive, ambidextrous, small caliber 150 yd groundhog rifle. Yesterday I went to the local gunshop hoping to by a Savage 22 Mag, Left Handed rifle. While waiting for my turn at the counter I noticed a used 223 Handi-rifle on the rack with an HX serial number prefix.  As the asking price of $160 was $100 less than the asking price for the Savage 22 Mag I walked out with the Handi-rifle.

As I've never owned one of these I'm hoping that some of you that have can reassure me that I made the right choice and it should make a good 150 yd ground hog rifle. I've never reloaded 223 but I do reload for several other ctgs. So if this rifle has potential my next step is to get some dies.

Thanks

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
Re: Newbi 223 Handi-rifle questoin
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 01:33:19 AM »
Hello walnutred, You did real good! That gun was made in 2007 it is practically new.
Once you find what the gun likes you should be able to double that 150 yards pretty easily.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 01:43:20 AM »

Hello Walnutred, Welcome to the GBO forums, And congrats on the 223,
 You made a good find at that price. in MHO.
 Then you are about to become a Handi-holic.
 Marv.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 01:58:20 AM »
Not knocking the 22 Mag. but that .223 will outshine that Mag. for the purpose you wanted it for.   Like it was said with the right loads you can shoot to 300 with confidence.

You got a steal on the price also, so now it's just a matter of finding out what will be the best load for that gun.

And lets not forget the fact that you've got all kinds of tech assistance right here at your fingertips, and a whole bunch of accessories to make yourself one heck of a varmint sniper rifle.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 04:14:53 AM »
Welcome to G.B.O. walnutred! First thing to do is read the FAQ at the top as there are many good items to help you out, and the members here are the best and will help with any questions or problems you have,so just ask.
I can reassure you made a great choice, I liked the first one so much that I bought another one with the bull barrel from a hunting buddy. They both shoot great and while one prefers 4198 powder the other likes imr 3031 and both will do 5 shots at 100 between 1/2-3/4 all the time with 50gr hornadys.So I never got around to trying ww748 or H335 yet.
I did put the o ring in fore end on both and used fltiz treatment to smooth the bore.As for 150 yd ground hog gun, it will do that with ease and much farther once you get used to shooting it.Good luck to you.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline jdwolf

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 11:46:55 AM »
$160.00 for a 223 Handi that was made in 2007?  I'm jealous!  I bought my 223 Handi in 2007 (new) and paid $270.00.  You didn't buy that rifle, you stole it! 

The 223 Handi is an excellent choice for varmints/predators.  You made the right choice.
Help support concealed carry in Illinois,  show your support.  http://www.cafepress.com/sicc

Offline walnutred

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 12:38:05 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance guys. I have Wednesday off and plan on going to the local range to try it out. Have also been mining the FAQ section for hints.  The dealer said the previous owner traded this in on an AR type rifle. As Varmint type rifles are a VERY hard sell in Ohio this time of year he had to price it cheap or sit on it until spring.

Now obviously I'm hoping that it wasn't traded in because there was something seriously defective with this particular rifle accuracy wise. Looking it over I don't see anything obvious, in fact I bet the previous owner only shot a box or two through it.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 12:45:28 PM »
As suggested, read the FAQ's and if anything does come up, just post up  here. We will be glad to help you work thru it!!

Since you have some time, check the basics. Remount the base making sure its tru and lock-tite the screws. Use good rings. Remove the barrel and clean the lug on the bottom of the barrel and get some Qtips and clean the latch, front and bottom. NO LUBE HERE, this one is important. You can add a dab to the hinge pin, if you like. Look good at the drown, use a good light and a magnifying glass. Lastly, clean the barrel, Many may argue it makes little difference, I am not one of them. At least know your starting with a clean barrel.

You got a good deal, regardless!!!

CW

PS, I almost forgot  :-[... WELCOME!!!
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 02:40:18 AM »
good job on the 160 dollar 223...if that darn cheap rifle doesn't work out i'll help you out and give you what you paid for it(and about a hundred other guys)...i have a sb2 hornet....it is a fine 150-200 yard groundhog rifle....your 223 should do the job at 250-300 once you learn the trajectory and get a decent trigger going on that thing

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 03:43:11 AM »

Do you know which .223 barrel you have? Does it have rifle sights on it or is it a bull type barrel ?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline walnutred

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 05:12:00 AM »
This rifle has scope base only, no iron sights. Bull barrel of around 22". It's seems like it would be heavy but the rifle is so compact it really doesn't feel bad in the hands. A friend reloads for a Cooper in 223 and has promised to help me with ammo crafting part of this endeavor. I've been reading the FAQ section for tips but obviously want to see what the rifle will do as is before I try any "improvements".

Based on y'alls comments though I'm getting anxious to get tot he range and try this rifle out.

Offline xsilver03x

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 05:28:52 AM »
The 223 was my first pick in the Handi.  and I must say I love it.  It shoots the cheap 223 55gr wonderful at 100 4 shots touching, I had a time getting my savage accutrig  308 to do that.  I did get a good deal on some 45 gr balistic tips but have yet to find time to shoot em.

Offline s_hawk

• If ya come, ya better come heavy!
    • Texas Punishment Crew
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 07:09:31 AM »
Congrats on a great buy! You got an excellent rifle! Although some disagree, the handi-rifle in .223 is an excellent rifle for deer. Its accurate enough to make neck shots at a good distance.
Hawk
Glory Lasts Forever

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 01:30:34 PM »
Since you have some time, check the basics. Remount the base making sure its tru and lock-tite the screws.

CW makes an excellent point.
My 223 barrel's base screws weren't even snug from the factory and they didn't have any Loc-Tite on the threads. I pulled the screws, degreased the threads on the screws and barrel and applied a dab of blue Loc-Tite to each screw and tightened.

Offline Russ Jerome

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 02:28:32 PM »
Although some disagree, the handi-rifle in .223 is an excellent rifle for deer. Its accurate enough to make neck shots at a good distance.
Hawk

Thru the heart/lungs I know two deer this weekend that wont argue the point!

Doe at just over 120yrds and a decent 6 pointer just short of 80yrds. There is
also a noisy Gray Squirrel that will say the 223 spot on at 100 yards, my new
223 handi had its first weekend in the woods and liked it.

Offline walnutred

Re: Newbi 223 Handi-rifle questoin, first range report
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 07:06:28 AM »
First range results were mixed but the rifle shows potential. Y'all were right, the base screws needed tightened and Loctite applied. I tried two brands of ammo, Remington 55gn MC and Brown Bear 62gn HP. I used a single point rest at the hinge pin and the scope was a old Tasco 3x9. Started out at 25 yds just to get on paper, then moved to 50 and 100. There was a 8-10 mph wind coming in at 2-3 o'clock.

I was not getting any one hole groups at 100yds, the best I could do was 1.5". Honestly I think it was operator error as much as anything, it's probably been over 10 years since I fired a rifle with a scope. My plan is to take a look at the fore end mounting and get some more practice.

One thing that surprised me was I would have expected the two types of ammo to impact a lot farther apart. The heavier Brown Bear ammo tended to group about 2" above the Remington at 100 yds.

The other thing that surprised me was the extractor. I'd heard horror stories about the H&R's flinging brass. Mine seems to simply extract the brass rather than eject it.

OK, now for a good cleaning and hopefully I'll have round 2 Saturday.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 05:43:04 PM »
Glad you like the way your rifle shoots. It WILL get better as you learn or relearn and finaly settle in on how to shoot it.

As for the forend, a good sized dowel wrapped in sand paper will make short work of any tite spots in the forend. Also be sure the forend isn't too tight to the receiver. When you put the forend back on, add a "O" ring to the stud. Better yet, pick up some 5/16" neoprene rubber washers. I got mine at Lowes but Home Depot also has them. Put a couple on the barrel forend stud to keep the forend off the barrel. Lastly, keep your latch clean and dry. Then when finealy back at the range shooting, close the action as consistently as possible. Closing with a sharp snap.

If/when you begin loading for it, H322 powder, match primers and 52/53gr bullets really made mine print tightly.

YES it will kill a deer, but many including myself do not condone its use for them.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.