Author Topic: Mueller 3x to 10x Extreme  (Read 903 times)

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Mueller 3x to 10x Extreme
« on: October 13, 2008, 05:17:12 AM »
I am considering this scope for my 7MM Remington magnum. I bought a 3x9 Nikon Prostaf for it a couple of years ago, had to send it back due to zero holding problems, and when they returned the scope I still have the same issues. My other choice would be a Weaver Classic V9. Any thoughts or experience with the Mueller scope?
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Mueller 3x to 10x Extreme
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 07:50:06 AM »
None with that specific scope but the Muellers I have used have been good sound scopes and excellent buys for the price.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rickt300

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 09:34:05 AM »
My 2x7 Multi-shot has found a home on my 35 Whelen and it is a good scope. Certainly so far it has done more for me already than the Prostaf has.

Offline rickt300

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 03:07:35 AM »
Well I ordered one and will put it thru it's paces when it gets here.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 08:34:20 AM »
That scope got an excellent review by Mel on snipercentral.com.

Offline rickt300

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 05:15:05 AM »
I figured I would put the just recieved Mueller to the test using my TC G2 Contender with it my .22 caliber match 23 inch barrel. I started of using some very old Winchester 36 grain HP ammo just to get it on the paper. After bore sighting the first round was 3 inches low at 25 yards. 16 clicks up gave me right at an inch change as did the next couple 16 clicks. So far so good. The ammo however was pretty poor as I had lubed it last year with baby oil and it was some I tested to see if baby oil improved it's grouping ability. Well the oil had imigated to the powder charge causing bloopers and one fail to fire. Next ammo up is a proven round, Federal #714 which is a standard velocity version of their #510. I lubed the bullets with crisco lightly and began shooting bullet holes at 25 yards. There was no change in POI when the power ring or the fast focus eyepiece was adjusted. However at 10x I couldn't get the clean focus I wanted at 25 yards, however at 9x I could and I liked 8x the best. I sighted in 1/4 inch high and began easily shooting bullet holes. Adjustment is precise and can be counted on. I am looking forward to knocking some metal animals over this fall with my properly adjusted trigger and this new scope.

Offline rickt300

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 06:04:31 AM »
More testing. I put the Mueller on my 7x57 as I wanted better light gathering than my 4x Redfield Widefield was capable of. I also did some bedding on the 7x57 to correct a problem. At any rate everything went well sighting in with one little problem. It stopped moving the crosshairs for a bit in the horizontal. I had to turn the adjustment knob a ful turn in the opposite direction I wanted the crosshairs to go and after that everything was fine and I got the rifle hitting 2 inches high at 100 yards. The rifle is really shooting well now with 150 grain Sierra Gamekings and Ballistic Tips. Before rebedding the rifle shot poorly with the Sierra Gameking which I though odd since it shot very well with the 160 grain version of the Gameking.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 06:11:51 AM »
I've had the reticle "freeze" on more than one scope if the power ring is all the way to the highest setting, have read of others having the same problem, the solution is to back off on the power setting just a fraction, don't leave it where it stops. Kinda frustrating when you trying to sight in! :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rickt300

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 08:18:17 AM »
I usually sight in with the power setting at the middle of the range. I'm thinking the cold windy shooting conditions may have caused me to put a few flyers off a bit to the left.

Offline rickt300

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 06:04:59 PM »
I used the Mueller Extreme most of this deer season and have to say it has excellent light gathering abilities. When it was so dark I couldn't see the feeder I could look thru the scope and see it and deer under it. I killed a racoon at over 80 yards with only moonlight to help the scope. This scope goes back on my G2 Contender now that the season is over.