Author Topic: NEF Handi 30-06 Mis-Fire Firing pin dent off center  (Read 603 times)

Offline uncle_motorhead

• Trade Count: (0)
NEF Handi 30-06 Mis-Fire Firing pin dent off center
« on: December 08, 2008, 05:23:50 PM »
 ???

A buddy bought this NEF Handi New.  He always told me it would shoot perfectly if pointed up.  The cases always stick too.  I just figured it was a headspace problem.  I got it from him and was going to ream it out to a 30 Gibbs which would eliminate any headspace problem.  I started looking at all his brass and one case has a dozen or so hits.  The case was turned a few degrees each time.  The primer looks like the face of a clock and the primer's center is still intact.  It didn't fire.

The firing pin hits centered up and down but about 1 mm to the left of center.  The brass circle mark made by the case head around the firing pin hole is shifted to the right about 1.1 mm. slightly darker on the right side  I did pull the firing pin and straitened it, (it was bent about 1/2 mm)  Made no difference I could measure.  I removed it again and it is still strait. 

When I close it on thin paper it appears to be very tight and about the same all across, up and down.

Is there a way I can just shift the barrel 1.1 mm to the left.  It looks centered now (well .010" to the right)
but the firing pin hole looks to be drilled off-center.

Any suggestions.  (he has had the gun for 10? years)  I don't know why it shoots when pointed up and not level or down.  I don't know why the cases won't extract.  The cases measrur small to spec after firing.  All factory loads, diff brands and bullets.  None seem to make a difference.  Any help other than sending it in?  I can drill the pin hole, sleeve it and redrill it but really don't want to do that if I don't have to.

Thanks
Gene

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: NEF Handi 30-06 Mis-Fire Firing pin dent off center
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 05:34:05 PM »
Welcome! Sounds like it should go back to H&R for repair, the old Gardner plant would repair older firearms regardless of who owned it or how old it was, as long as it was made since 1987, dunno if the new H&R ran by Remington will honor repairs like that, but it wouldn't hurt to give them a call and ask, toll free (866)776-9292, be patient, you may be on hold for a while. If they want it back for repair, he'll likely get a new barrel with an extractor which will make the sticking brass a moot point.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain