Author Topic: Ring Torque  (Read 689 times)

Offline Herman Lesley

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Ring Torque
« on: December 16, 2008, 01:48:18 AM »
Quickdtoo

I have a NEF 45-70 Handi. I mounted a Browning 2x7 using Signature Zee Rings. I am using high rings and am getting scope slippage using your 300 Gr TSX load.
I am thinking of switching to medium rings, but may have a clearance problem. Do you use a torque wrench on your rings? If so, what setting? I have a FAT Wrench.

Thanks

Herman

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Ring Torque
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 02:42:46 AM »
Personally no I dont, but its not a bad idea. The burris used to have a odd sized screw that was a problem. To the best of my knoledge its fixed now with a bigger screw.

I prefer the Leupold PRW ring in med or even lo with the leupold scope. I dont know what that Browning scope looks like or who makes it for them.

Tim also has a nice writeup on a older H&R hammer install for lower scope mounting. I think its in the FAQ's.

Merry Christmas,
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Ring Torque
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 05:13:05 AM »
I've had them slip too, I started degreasing the poly inserts with alcohol and rough them up with sandpaper and haven't had a problem since. I used a drop of blue Loctite for a while too which also solved the problem but degreasing and roughing them up a little is all that was necessary, I torque the torx ring cap screws to 26in/lbs.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain