Author Topic: Watusi or just another beef  (Read 2755 times)

Offline Zeeks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Watusi or just another beef
« on: September 10, 2009, 03:28:59 PM »
has anyone shot or ate one of these  Looks just like regular cattle to me.  Except for the horns.

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Watusi or just another beef
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 11:41:42 AM »
Nobody has harvested one? I was wondering too.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline GeneRector

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 12:28:27 PM »
 :) Howdy!  I've seen them on eBay offered as a hunt.  They are one of a few breeds of cattle from Africa (I believe).  There are a few of them in Texas and a some other states. 
Happy Trails!
Always,
Gene Rector
Endowed NRA Life Member

Offline hillbill

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 01:59:32 PM »
we used to raise them, the meat prob bout like longhorn, very lean. why yu want to shoot a cow?we raised them for ropeing stock, they were very wild on the end of a rope.id imagine if yu busted thier ass with a shotgun a few times they wud get pretty wary.we used the bulls on first calf heifers, the calves would come out looking like deer, very slender and small. they would grow quite a rack in a year or two. happy huntin.

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 02:39:33 PM »
Yep, regular cow with big upright horns.  Might as well go hunting for a milk cow.

Offline Zeeks

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 03:08:34 PM »
The $$ was right.   The horns is what caught my attention.   I still prefer black angus thou.

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 05:29:13 AM »
Sounds like a high fence buffalo hunt

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 08:58:53 AM »
Sounds like a high fence buffalo hunt
Yup.  I'll tell you what though, if any of you want to try it, I'd be happy to provide the "experience".  PM me for price details since I have no idea what it would cost me to buy one, then I'll set it loose in the pasture and we can "hunt" it together. 

Offline markc

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 02:54:14 PM »
They are domestic cattle.

The History of an Ancient Breed

Long-horned, humpless domestic cattle were well established in the Nile Valley by 4000 B.C. These cattle, known as the Egyptian or Hamitic Longhorn, appear in pictographs in Egyptian pyramids. Over the next twenty centuries (2.000 years), the Egyptian Longhorn migrated with its owners from the Nile to Ethiopia, and then down to the southern reaches of Africa.

By 2000 B. C., humped cattle (Longhorn Zebu) from Pakistan and India reached Africa. When these Zebu reached the region now known as Ethiopia and Somalia, they were interbred with the Egyptian Longhorn. The admixture produced -- the Sanga -- spread to the Sudan, Uganda, Kenya, and other parts of eastern Africa, becoming the base stock of many of the indigenous African breeds. The Sanga demonstrated most of the typical Zebu characteristics, such as pendulous dewlap and sheath, upturned horns, and a neck hump of variable size. Modern descendants of the Sanga, however, vary greatly in size, conformation, and horns, due to differing selection pressures by different tribes.

Reference
 Retrieved October 11, 2009 from http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/ankolewatusi/index.htm

markc

Offline halfbreed

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 06:03:34 PM »
I drove a garbage truck in the county here several years back, on one of the routes there was a ranch that raised Watusi (called Wapezi ) here. The owners would let a few people a year cull a few out. The meat did taste like domestic beef.
 However the locals noticed very quickly that the numbers of coyotes and dog packs dwindled very quickly after these cattle arrived.
 And that my friends, is a good thing!
John

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 01:46:20 AM »
Why not just sort out a nice Angus or BWF steer out of a feedlot and turn it loose? About 800 lbs would be plenty of meat and plenty wild if you turn it loose. A lady at work had someones bull running around on their acreage, animal control wouldn't touch it because it was just outside the city limits.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife