Author Topic: 12 ga slug question  (Read 678 times)

Offline jerem0621

• Trade Count: (0)
12 ga slug question
« on: November 30, 2008, 04:12:51 PM »
I am a traditional muzzleloader hunter and I am very new to shooting slugs.  The only shotgun I have is a NEF Pardner 12 ga with a modified choke and a bead front sight.  I bought this shotgun the day after I turned 18 and it has mostly sat unused for the last 12 years.  I have bought 3 different brands of 2 3/4 rifled slugs, Winchester super X, Federal Power Shok 1 1/4 oz slugs, and Remington Managed Recoil slugger that I bought the other day.  I have not been to the range yet,  I would like to hunt deer with this shotgun during rifle season,  the only big game rifle I own is a .50 cal Thompson Center New Englander. What kind of accuracy can I expect out of this set up out to about 50 to 65 yards?  I am worried about only having the front bead sight to work with.  I know that under Ideal circumstances I would send this receiver to H&R to have a rifled barrel affixed but the family budget won't allow that just yet.

I also plan on using this shotgun for turkey season coming up.  how do y'all feel about the modified choke and turkey?  I'm sorry to ask so basic questions but the main experience I have with firearms is with my old muzzleloader.

this is my first post and I have enjoyed reading this forum for the past few days :)

thank you,

Jerem0621

Offline Muddy05

• Avid Poster
Re: 12 ga slug question
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 04:30:19 PM »
Welcome to Graybeards!!! I'm pretty much going through the same thing with my 20ga pardner. I myself can't be of much help to you with this question, but the other guys on here surely will. Let us know the results when you go try it out on paper. I thought about getting a 12ga. as well.
Go 214th!!

Offline rlelvis

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 02:19:51 AM »
Not sure of the accuracy you will get, there are allot of variable there. 

I do want to point out that using rifled slugs has the potential to cause leading in the bbl that can effect accuracy after just one or two shots.  I know this from experience and dozens of rounds trough a 870 Wingmaster w/ saddle mount scope.  I was convinced the scope was loose or even bad.  I would be right on at 50yds for the first two shots but the third was 4 in off and then it went down hill from there.  I would get frustrated go home clean and inspect the scope and mount and then back to the range and it would be right on.  It took me several trips to realize that it was lead fowling that was killing my groups, I was using Remington rifled slugs.   In hindsite I should have realized what was going on sooner especially from the amount of lead on the patches during cleaning.  Duh    :-[

Simply put inspect the bore and clean frequently during the sighting process, every two rounds or so.  Might be overkill but but then again what can it hurt.

Did not answer your question just thought it was worth mentioning since I would hate to see anybody go through the frustration I did.

As far as turkey goes you will have to patern the gun first and then decide.  I am sure there are many here with ALOT more experience in this area so I will deferr to them.

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 03:46:05 AM »
Jerem   You are shooting a smoothbore so leading will not be a problem. The single bead has been used by slug shooters since before cartridges were invented.That being said, the only way to answer your questions about your particular gun is for you to take it out and shoot it. It may prefer 1 type of slug over another.or may shoot them all pretty much the same.Also you will have to work on your head position on the gun and getting used to aiming with the single bead sight. Shooting accurately enough to take a deer out to 50 yds should not be a problem.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline rlelvis

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 04:16:42 AM »
Jerem   You are shooting a smoothbore so leading will not be a problem. The single bead has been used by slug shooters since before cartridges were invented.That being said, the only way to answer your questions about your particular gun is for you to take it out and shoot it. It may prefer 1 type of slug over another.or may shoot them all pretty much the same.Also you will have to work on your head position on the gun and getting used to aiming with the single bead sight. Shooting accurately enough to take a deer out to 50 yds should not be a problem.

FWIW

I never though of leading in a smooth bore either until I experienced it.  It is not always a problem but has the potential to be.  Not trying to question your reply at all.  Just figure that I would post my experience as it may help others. 

Good Shooting

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 05:22:47 AM »
I haven't tried it yet but Federal tru-ball is made to be the new hot slug for smooth bore guns .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 01:58:53 PM »
I'd try some breneke slugs as well. For a tighter pattern through that mod choke you might try some Heavishot.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Shooter 250

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 03:49:45 PM »
I haven't notice lead fouling in any of my shotgun barrels, although I really never clean them either as I shoot them quite often. Don 't get me wrong, I'm not saying it can't happen, Never say Never.
Out of the three slugguns I've owned, one of which was a 30" full choke until I could afford a used slug barrel for it, each gun seemed to like it's own brand of slug and or shot by brand and size. you will definitely need to pattern you gun either way.
With the slugs and a bead site you are limiting yourself on the distance you will be accurate. although a lot of deer have succumb to just the setup you have described.
Now the Mod. choke. The only thing a full or extra full will gets you is a bird further out. you should be able to nock the shorts off of a turkey out to 25 maybe 30 yards. You just need to call the bird in a little closer. Again, pattern the gun to see what it likes. Use turkey target to see how many pellets you get in the head and neck area.
I am truly thinking of going back to a smooth bore and foster style slugs as I am tried of paying 12 to 17 dollars for a box of shell. I will use iron sites or a scope though.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 05:37:22 PM »
I'd try a 20 gauge!!

A 12 gauge Pardner shooting slugs will beat the Hell out of you.

If you insist on the 12 gauge... cheapo Remington Sluggers shoot pretty good.
Do yourself a BIG favor and get a recoil pad.

FWIW...
You could probably find a good used 20 gauge barrel on the classified's here for cheap money.

Another thing to think about...  In the interest of accuracy.

The 20 gauge barrels are thick enough to drill and tap for a scope.
The 12's are too thin.

I have a 20 gauge Pardner... lathe cut to 20" barrel... with a 4x Simmons on it.
At 50 yds. it will shoot Rem. Sluggers great.     
3 slugs into the size of a baseball.

Just some things to think about.

Spanky

Offline jerem0621

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 06:33:08 PM »
I had a box of 3 inch slugs,  I could only handle one shell per day LOL.  I took a different route,  I went and bought a slip on recoil pad and bought the 2 3/4 inch slugs.  I'm looking forward to heading to the range,  I certinly hope that the shorter slugs will kick much less.  the 3 inch slugs really punish ya with this light shotgun. LOL.  I'll give a range report when I can make it to the range.

Jerem

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 03:05:01 AM »
I've used a 28 inch 12 gauge modified for decades.  For slugs and for turkeys.  You just have to try the slugs to see what accuracy you're getting and pattern the shot at different ranges to see how your gun throws them.  I use a Walmart slip on "sissy pad" on it and yes it only has the front bead sight.  At the range I suggest using a bean bag over your shoulder when shooting these loads since my particular shotgun hits the scales at 5 lbs 6 oz.  That is very light for a 12 gauge.  They won't kick nearly as bad in the field when you have game in your sights.  I'm a believer in shooting what you have.  Sure you can improve accuracy with expensive add on barrels but the modified smooth bore will suffice without spending much more money.

Offline jerem0621

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 02:20:23 PM »
I second the shoot what you have philosophy.  One of the reasons I haven't bought a High Powered Rifle is because my old caplock Muzzleloader tends to kill them awfully quick.  I can't wait to get to the range and try out my "old fashioned" slug gun.  Single shot NEF LOL.  Where I hunt I will never have much of a shot over 50 yards.  My last deer was shot at 20 yards,  He would have come as close as 10 if I would have been more patient. 

Jerem

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 02:30:42 PM »
Delaware has been a shotgun only state for as long as I remember and almost everyone used a smoothbore 12 ga when I was a kid and a lot still do. Most of these were not slug guns either.You just shot slugs through whatever you used for birds and rabbits. If I could only have one gun (perish the thought) it would be a 12ga with a mod choke. Any cheap foster type slug I have ever shot will shoot minute of deer at 50 yards.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Shooter 250

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 02:57:04 PM »
Must be to late I can't get on either