Author Topic: NEF 20ga Pardner single barrel for deer in the thick stuff.  (Read 853 times)

Offline Muddy05

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
NEF 20ga Pardner single barrel for deer in the thick stuff.
« on: November 30, 2008, 05:49:01 AM »
Has anyone used a single barrel 20ga. pardner with modified barrel with Remington Sluggers for Deer? I'm getting about 4" groups at 30 yards and I thought about using it when I hunt in the really thick stuff. Anyone had any success or bad luck with this combination? Thanks Ya'll
Go 214th!!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: NEF 20ga Pardner single barrel for deer in the thick stuff.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 06:31:14 AM »
If you hit them right they will drop right there. It will havest a deer just as well as a 20 gauge USH or any other 20 gauge with slugs. From what you say I would expect it to be deadly and effective out to about 50 yards or so, try a few at 50 yards to be sure. Many deer are killed in the northeast every year by 20 gauge shotguns (bird guns) with Remington Sluggers...I say do it, it is also  probably a better chioce than a rifle to hunt the thick stuff with (green growth in Maine). Let us know when you get your first deer with it, you will then be a believer....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 07:23:33 AM »
I havested my first deer, ever, 2 years ago with a H & R Tracker I 20ga at about 60yds.  It's basically a Pardner 20ga with open sights, cylinder bore and a 24" barrel.  I took my deer with Reminton Sluggers.  Yes, it will make an excellent deer gun for the "thick stuff" They don't make the Tracker I anymore, but a 22" youth barrel 20ga can have sights added to it or you can just stick with the bead sight, doesn't matter as long as you can hit point of aim with it.  I had my Tracker I tapped out for choke tubes so I can use it for turkey hunting with a full choke in it.  You'll like it.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline eod20

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
  • stinker
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 07:55:48 AM »
cookieman  what are the differances between the tracker 1 & 2   is it just the sights ?
looking for ejectors - 308, 8mm, 35 rem, 25-20, 32-20, 357 mag, 45LC

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 09:12:17 AM »
I will jump in here in case Cookiemann is tied up at the moment. The Tracker I is a smoothbore and the Tracker II is a fully rifled barrel. That is the only difference....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline eod20

• Avid Poster
  • stinker
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 09:51:01 AM »
thank you MSP

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 10:11:08 AM »
Your welcome eod20. Both Tracker I's and II's have adjustable (open/iron) sights from the factory. I caried a shotgun as a second weapon for years. They were eventually updated with open adjustable iron sights. Prior to that with just the bead front sight is was very easy to keep 5 out of 5 slugs in the center mass K5 area of a standard B5 combat target at 50 yards, and almost everyone who qualified did so....<><....:)

Offline eod20

• Avid Poster
  • stinker
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 11:13:58 AM »
i do love my shotgun    i have my 14" moss 590   i just love that gun      carry it in the car every day   never had to use it and hope i never will    but it is hanging in the partition lock if i need it   

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 02:44:21 PM »
I haven't shot any deer with it yet but I use my 20 gauge Pardner with screw in choke as my bad weather deer gun. I hunt mostly thick stuff anyway. I just use the factory modified choke and it groups 4 inches at 50 yards with the bead sight using Remington Sluggers. I may try a rifled choke next year to see if I can make it group any better. The bead sight is probably my biggest limiting factor but I use it for turkey, ducks and partridge also so I want to keep it that way.

I used my Pardner the other day when it was snowing and I must say it was a joy to carry. It's very lightweight and well balanced. I have a bad back so I find myself wanting to take the Pardner hunting lately instead of my .357 Handi which is a joy to shoot but unfortunately weighs over 8 pounds with the scope so my back starts to hurt after carrying it for a while.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 03:00:42 PM »
Thanks for jumpin' in there, Andy.  You must be psychic, it has been crazy around here.  Lots of family stuff.  Kind of stuff that ain't fun, so please keep me in your prayers, guys.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 03:14:46 PM »
You are there Cookie, I will bring you and yours up to the big guy tonight....<><....:)

Offline Muddy05

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 04:10:56 PM »
Thanks Guys... yeah it's been raining here all weekend and my pardner is the only gun I have that I don't mind drowning. So, I decided I'd use it for bad weather or maybe even a mixed bag hunt. I read on the Slugger box that Improved Cylinder was best so I wasn't sure about the using them with a modified choke. Just thought I'd get your opinions on using a modified barrel for slugs before I really started hunting with it. It is a joy to carry compared to a heavy rifle... I think I'm pretty much hooked for a while ;D 
Go 214th!!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 01:50:35 AM »
best of luck Muddy, and yes, the modified choke will work just fine, as a matter of fact on a couple of mine the Modified choke tube is the most accurate with regular Foster style slugs (Rem Sluggers and such). Of course with guns and gun barrels each has it's own preferences...<><....:)