Author Topic: Gander Mountain reducing scope of gun sales?  (Read 509 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Gander Mountain reducing scope of gun sales?
« on: December 01, 2008, 03:53:17 AM »
I was at my local Gander Mountain this weekend and their gun department has shrunk significantly. Also, the price points have gone down considerably, with no good quality over-under shotguns out for handling, and only a few in a glass case. Mostly it's guns under $1000 now. The did have some used O/Us available that were of decent quality. Same story for rifles. Good utility guns for sale, but no higher quality models.

Are you aware of any sea change in the way Gander sells guns?
Safety first

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
Re: Gander Mountain reducing scope of gun sales?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 03:58:34 AM »
Last I read about them they were raising their prices and adding their our guarentee to everything and including one free cleaning of the gun.  It was a pretty obvious attempt to just add more $$ to the price.  They sell more guns than anyone else and I guess that's why they cna charge over the market value.  I hope the best for them but their stock is less than $2 right now because people can ammo and guns cheaper abuot anywhere else.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 04:23:03 AM »
There is only one GM close enough for me to get to. If all their stores price their guns like this one does I would imagine they don't sell enough guns to justify stocking many. The last time I was there I noticed a PT 1911 priced at exactly $100 over suggested list price.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 06:02:45 AM »
Here's an article on Sportsman's Warehouse and Gander, both victims of the economy, SW is getting bailed out, Gander may not be so lucky.

Tim

http://chattanoogan.com/articles/article_139450.asp

Cash ''Infusion'' For Sportsmans Warehouse
by Jim Shepherd , The Outdoor Wire
posted November 21, 2008

This article courtesy of Jim Shepherd with The Outdoor Wire

In the unsteady economy of today, there are a couple of certainties: first, companies with cash can go bargain hunting and there are bargains to be had; second, if your company was headed in a negative direction before the economy slowed, you're in real trouble now.

Over the past few weeks, I've hinted that one or more of the fairly large companies in the industry weren't looking so good. I wasn't exaggerating.

The Outdoor Wire has acquired a copy of a November 19 memorandum to Sportsman's Warehouse "vendors and partners" telling them the company has in essence, been acquired by UFA Cooperative Limited of Canada. While there are legal issues to be resolved, UFA has already dumped a considerable amount of cash into Sportsman's Warehouse.

UFA has a lot of cash to dump.

The United Farmers of Alberta is an agricultural supply cooperative headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, Canada which owns and operates approximately three-dozen farm and ranch stores in Alberta and 120 cardlock and bulk fuel stations in British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan. Since its beginning in 1909 it has grown from a small rural cooperative to a multi-billion dollar organization of 110,000 members.

In addition to the considerable rural holdings, UFA began its diversification into the outdoor industry earlier this year with the acquisition of Canadian outfitter, Wholesale Sports.

For UFA, the acquisition is part of a growth plan that UFA President and CEO Dallas Thorsteinson says on the company's website will result in a cooperative that is "even stronger than it is today" when it celebrates its centennial next year.

The acquisition assures Sportsman's Warehouse of having a next year.

The memorandum from Sportsman's Warehouse founder Stu Utgaard seemed to confirm the industry whispers that SW was on watch lists with most vendors. Knowledge of the cash infusion, Utgaard wrote, should enable vendors to "continue to deliver goods to our stores for Christmas."

Had the cash infusion not happened, several of the companies already facing considerable financial exposure had told me they would have refused further orders.

Sportsman's Warehouse, it seems, is headed for considerably more stable financial times under this new ownership. That's a relief to many outdoor manufacturers watching other retailers struggle nationwide -and worrying about the impact on their own moribund businesses.

The gloomy news continues, meanwhile at Gander Mountain (NASDAQ:GMTN) as the Saint Paul, Minnesota-based company made another round of layoffs earlier this week.

The company has seen its stock price declining steadily. Closing trading yesterday at $1.10, down another 19 cents or fourteen percent of its value from Wednesday.

Over the past year, Gander stock has dropped from a 52 week high of $6.97 to a low of $0.97. During the course of trading Thursday, it dropped as low as $1.01 before settling at the $1.10 close.

There have been signs of problems at Gander for some time. On September 8, Mark R. Baker resigned as president, chief executive officer and board member. Since then, David Pratt, Chairman of the Gander Mountain Board has since been functioning as interim CEO.

When Gander announced third quarter results earlier this month, it seemed the company might actually be turning the corner financially.

But the difficult economic conditions appear to have forced more actions on top of the already drastic cost cutting measures initiated place before consumer spending stalled.

Gander, it seems, simply had no other option to conserve resources than reduction of staffing.

With 116 stores in 23 states, Gander bills itself as the nation's largest retail network of stores for hunting, fishing, camping, boating, marine and outdoor lifestyle apparel and footwear, products and services. Should the difficult conditions persist, analysts say store closures may be only remaining option.

As the economy continues to be the primary concern of most Americans, the outdoor industry - in all facets - is feeling the pinch.

The lone exception would seem to be in those companies making - and selling - firearms that consumers fear may be banned under the incoming Democratic administration.

It's not good news, but....

...we'll keep you posted.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 06:54:33 AM »
I've seen some G.M. stores with poorly stocked small gun departments.   Even one of the biggest newest stores had a pretty sad gun department.  Anything nice was in a glass case.   Here, the G.M. gun department is like a gun show every day.  There is probably a thousand guns out on open racks for all to look at and handle.  Everything new is considerably less $ than MSRP.  Everything that is, but new handi rifles.  Most of those are overpriced. 
The used rack is like a revolving door.  There is different guns in there every week.  Most are really good deals.

Offline Kurt L

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 07:28:49 AM »
Just my 2 cents on them.
I was at one a while back and the prices was out of this world,
it was like highway robbery,I myself will not waste my time or gas to go to another one.
KURT LGo TO RIFLE RED RYDER SUPER MAG CARBINE

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 07:34:31 AM »
Just my 2 cents on them.
I was at one a while back and the prices was out of this world,
it was like highway robbery,I myself will not waste my time or gas to go to another one.

That's been my experience lately also.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline Questor

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 07:52:49 AM »
I agree with the high prices argument, but they do have exceptions that can be sensational bargains. I've gotten a couple of them and have been happy with them. But for the most part, you're right. They are overpriced. Especially with scopes and ammo.
Safety first

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 10:02:13 AM »
The best deal I ever got at a Gander Mountain was on a used GP100 6" stainless for $350 well over a year ago.  Besides that, I have come across some "fair" prices, but they are rare.  One nice thing about them is that they have plenty of black rifles on the shelves and haven't artificially jacked up their prices even more just because of the times.  If the one here in town went out of business it wouldn't really bother me.

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 11:13:13 AM »
Price inflation is exactly why i quit dealing with gander mountain. In the last 3 years i purchased 5 firearms from gm and lots of other shooting related stuff. Had to stop their prices are just too high. When stuff is on sale it seems in line though.They have a really good selection of firearms here just way too much money
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country