Author Topic: Long winded but with target pics  (Read 873 times)

Offline rlelvis

• Trade Count: (0)
Long winded but with target pics
« on: November 28, 2008, 03:00:39 AM »
Pulled these pics up in reply to another post and thought I might as well share them, hopefully these will convince the skeptics of the accuracy that can be attained from the USH with a little work though I know most reading this forum already know.  Thanks to this forum for convincing me to purchase both my Huntsman and USH D.

I have made believers of many at the range and enjoyed the look of disgust from others with hi-power bling.  You know the ones with the newest magnum cartridge for the latest model Remington or Browning that will kill deer out to 400 yards “stop ‘em there in their tracks at 400 yards, yep this is what you need son”.   That is exactly what I heard from one 'seasoned' hunter this year at the range.   
We were in adjacent lanes shooting 100 yards from a bench.  This fella had a PST pad as well as a Sims pad and could not stop talking about how hard the gun kicked and how it was ok since it was SO accurate and would shoot so far. He then proceeded to complain to his buddy about the cost of the ammo, something like $65 a box.  There were 5 boxes on the bench, two appeared to be empty when I arrived.
We went down range and I put up a target and noticed his were covered with dots, resembling buckshot.  Back at the bench I got out the USH and he and his buddy, as well as others at the range, looked, pointed and with a big grin started whispering.  I shot two 3 round groups and when we went cold walked down range.  This fella kept trying to look over at my target and see how I had done.  I pulled and place a new one.  Back at the bench I heard him tell his buddy that I only hit the target twice and fired six shots.  I fired two more groups (different load) and waited for the range to go cold.  We walked downI pulled my targets and back at the bench this guy commented that as he suspected the range was a little long for a shotgun even with a scope; I needed one these new ___magnums.  I simply reached into my shooting box pulled out the four targets and handed them to him. ;D  THE LOOK WAS PRICELESS. ;D   He essentially accused me of swapping targets on him. >:(  I proceeded to try to explain the gun and why it could be so accurate. He wanted nothing of it.  He even said that if I had more rounds he would like to see me shoot it again but this time he would place and pull the targets and would pay for the rounds.  He just wanted to see it one more time.  He paid me double for a box, walked down range placed the target.  I fired my five rounds, he went down and pulled it and sure enough one very large jagged hole, center - 2 ˝ inches high.  8) 
This fella was still not a believer and I do not think his type would ever be since it did not say ‘newest and most powerful and best…’   I did get a chance to talk to tow others that were much more personable and I would bet they both seriously looked into the USH.
True story.
Hope I never run inot this fella again but unfortunaly I am sure I will run into his type more then I like.

Did not mean to get long winded on this one but I always get a kick out of this type at the range, unfortunately I know they also end up in the field. 
These are from a bench, I could never hold this tight off hand. 

Offline sman

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Long winded but with target pics
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 02:31:52 PM »
Are they the Federal Barnes Expanders? If so, Are they the 1500 feet per second or the 1900 Feet per second.
    Good Shooting, Nothing like shooting a group like that with ammo that someone  else bought.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 03:15:46 PM »
know the type i was shooting a rock island 1911 at a range and the guy next to me had a kimber that was jamming at least once every magizene and telling me what a piece of junk the rock islands were while mine was running flawless and holding better groups than his kimber.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline rlelvis

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 04:06:45 PM »
EDIT 
They were BOTH the 3/4oz 1900 fps tipped, P152XTI on the second target target and the 1 oz 1450 fps expander, PT150XS on the first target (first target fired last year).

Not a thing wrong with a RIA 1911, every one that I have fired has been perfect. 

Offline sman

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 05:03:22 PM »
How old is your USH 12 ga.?  Does it have the new rifling they just came out with?  Did you have any custom work done to the barrel?
   Thanks for your help, I have not tried this bullet in mine yet, hope it groups as well as yours.
           Thanks again, Steve

Offline rlelvis

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 02:59:45 AM »
I bought it in 2006 (old rifling). There was no work done to the bbl, only a very aggressive session of JB before the first trip to the range followed by a hot app treatment of MILITEC.   I did read up on the fit of the forend here on the forum and worked it just a little, basically fitting.  That is all that has been done with the exception of adding the scope and a neoprene shell carrier on the stock with inserts to bring the comb up about 3/8 so it was comfortable. 

I have fired apx 120 rds through it and the Fed 2 3/4 seems to be the best round so far, it did not like the 3 in version at all.

Hope this helps.

Offline sman

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 04:06:49 AM »
I really appreciate your help, Could you go into detail with your procedure with the JB, and how you did the hot app of militec.
    Thanks, Steve

Offline rlelvis

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 02:09:53 PM »
First I will say that most of the info I got right here from the forum. 

I made a custom jag from a hardwood dowel, aprx 3 in long, stepped and ribbed, sized to fit a cloth diaper and attached to a cleaning rod.  I made more, allot more, passes then often recommended so DO NOT over do it.  I applied the JB and went to town.   Again CAUTION- DO NOT OVER DO IT.  Once I was satisfied with the results I cleaned with about 10 clean patches with Hoppie's BR lube oil on the same jag.   I can not over stress the fact that you DO NOT want to over do the JB process.  My jag fit snugly but not tight and DID NOT take the edge of the lands off.  DID NOT ROUND THE EDGE OF THE LANDS only smoothed the tool marks.

Not sure if the MILITEC does a darn thing but here is what I did.
As far as the MILITEC I simply warmed the stripped bbl and applied it then more heat then more MILITEC.  I used a homemade 'easy bake' oven. I use three light bulbs in a large metal garbage can, originally built for removing cosmo from C&R stocks.  I control the temp with the wattage and number of bulbs.   I did not get it too hot, aprx 160 which is very warm to the touch. 

I DO NOT advocate the MILITEC and heat process at all as there is no basis for improvement in accuracy, simply explaining what I did.  I first tried this when deployed to the desert on a M9 and found that it made a difference in the function and feel.  Again I do not think that this had any effect on the accuracy, I attribute that to the JB and patience.

All said I have fired several rounds through it followed by thourough cleaning and this may have as much to do with the 'break in' as anything.  I have used MILITEC after subsequent cleanings.

Hope this helps but remember CAUTION in working any BBL.

Good huntin'

Bob

Offline sman

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 04:58:03 AM »
Again, I hate to be a bother , but would you have any pictures of the jag you made and what size wood dowel you used?
     Thanks for all your help, Steve

Offline rlelvis

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 01:59:55 AM »
Unfortunately these are one time use since they expand with moisture/oil.  I turned it down from a 1 1/2 in piece of hardwood.

First I want to reemphasize the risk of overdoing any cleaning and causing damage to the bore.  I listed what I did but this was only my technique and I did it with a fair deal of experience. 
I HAVE RUINED ACCURACY in rifles by overdoing it before so go slow!!!
Do not use anything that is a very tight fit, it should be snug and provide some resistance but not allot; you should not have to use excessive force to move the JB patch in the bore. You should be able to do this with a moderate grip on the cleaning rod not a gorilla grip; if you can hold the bbl in one hand and move the cleaning rod with the other and there is no deflection in the rod you are about right.

All bbl are different and will shoot differently, my goal was to address the tooling marks not make it a tack driver from the first round.  This process does help but remember that the key to accuracy will be finding the load that your bbl likes and consistency at the range.

Spend some time here on the forum and you will find that many USH are tack drivers right out of the box without any work what so ever.  My first trip to that range consisted of several boxes of different manufacture and after each two or three shot group I allowed the bbl to cool and ran a couple of patches through it before the next group.  Sure fired allot of rounds through the .22 that day.

FWIW I have seen other USH in both 12 and 20 that WILL shoot a tighter group than this one without any tinkering.

Offline sman

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 04:32:24 AM »
Hi, it's me again.  I was looking down my barrel with a pen light and the bore appears to have a ton of circular scoring.  I am not sure if this is normal machining or poor machining.  I can feel the scoring with a tooth pick.  I don't believe that JB would ever take these out.
You seem to know what your talking about with barrels, so do you think this is a poorly machined barrel or is that the way they are. 
       Thanks, Steve   

Offline rlelvis

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 06:12:16 AM »
There is nothing wrong with your bbl, this is normal from what I have seen.  I am not an expert but have dealt with a few 12 and 20 USH. 

There are several here that might be more innformative.

That being said - The JB WILL NOT take the tooling Marks completely out but if done properly will smooth them on the lands significantly.   I would think if you were to completely remove the marks you would ruin the bbl.  I can still feel the ones in this bbl but only with a very fine and sharp tip, like a razor blade. 

I would really not be concerned with it too much unless you are having significant accuracy problems even then I do not think this is a primary cause of inconsistency.

Hope this helps

and maybe somebody else will jump in with opinion/experience.

Offline sman

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 06:44:56 AM »
Thanks for all of the info.  The gun shoots pretty good.  I just like to get the tightest group possible.  Did you see a big difference when you only shot three rounds, clean the barrel, let the barrel cool,  before you shot another three?
    That might be some of my problem.  I sometimes would sit down and shoot 10 to 15 rounds.   

Offline rlelvis

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 11:43:08 AM »
Steve - message sent.