Author Topic: Got a complete lower now what?  (Read 2768 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Got a complete lower now what?
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 06:08:20 AM »
Thanks I'll check them out also.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline backstrap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2008, 06:51:30 AM »
here's another 1 for u to check out on complete uppers,  www.rguns.net   these sights i am putting up here are from the shotgun news magazine,get u a shotgun news magazine and u will have a fine magazine to look at about ar's in the evening time in the easy chair
1 shot 1 kill

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2008, 11:59:35 AM »
I checked out www.Del-Ton.com but I don't think I know enough about these rifles to order from them. Either they don't have anything like what I want or I don't know how to find it. I never found anything on there that didn't have the more or less standard A1/A2 sight and I really do not want that on mine. I also wasn't able to find a handguard anything like what I want.

Now it does appear they have some pretty cheap uppers if you're willing to accept what they have and unless I misunderstood then the bolt and carrier are included.

I'll check out www.rguns.net next.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2008, 05:29:04 PM »
OK I've now had time to visit the www.rguns.net site and I think I found pretty much what I'm looking for there. Here is a photo of what it looks like.

DPMS A3 16" Low Pro Upper With Bolt and Charging Handle

The barrel is 16" rather than the 18" to 20" I was thinking of but that will work fine as this one is to be set up primarily as a home defense gun anyway. It's an A3 flat top and the gas block (I think that's correct name) is set up with four short picatinny rails so I can add a fold down BUIS front sight up top, add a light on bottom and a laser to one side. The flat top rail should do fine for another Holosight or Aimpoint depending on which route I go and another folding BUIS for a rear sight.

It comes with the 5.56 Nato chamber and I think 1:7" twist rate. I'm pretty sure chamber and barrel are chrome lined but I will need to check that and to see if a chromed bolt is available.

Do I want a chrome bolt at extra cost? I tend to think I do what do the experts say?

Cost appears to be $350 which sure seems cheap compared to the complete uppers at Model 1 Sales. From what I can gather this is a complete price with everything including the bolt and carrier or at least that seems to be the way theirs are set up. I will need to verify by phone if this is the one I decide to buy. This is the description of it tho: DPMS A3 16" Low Pro Upper With Bolt and Charging Handle

Can a quality upper set up like this really be that inexpensive?

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Totenkopf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2008, 07:51:18 PM »
 I am far from an expert. A chrome bolt is standard in these unless it is a varmint setup. Unchromed bolt is suppose to be good for 25,000 rnds chrome 50,000. That is not to failure, just replacement. So just a question of how much extra it is. Say $50 I would upgrade for piece of mind for family it would be passed to.  I don't know about you, I can't afford enough ammo to have either get out of spec. That setup is better than you will get at model 1. Give me a few days and I'll trak down a double star, can't remember who carries them.
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2008, 08:09:58 PM »
I don't anticipate shooting 25,000 thru any of my ARs but the peace of mind is perhaps worth it anyway. The extra cost generally isn't much based on what I've seen on Model 1 Sales and a few other places tho I dunno at RGUNS.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Totenkopf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2008, 09:01:28 PM »
For defense I would advise on 1/7" for a 16". Somalia was a major test of the M4 (14.5"). I'll keep it as clean as possible. The reduced velocity of the shorter barrel. Along with 55gr and the Somali's use of the drug khaj was not the best mix. Current Delta issue is 77 gr. So the 1/7 will let you use the better ammo coming out in the near future. Just remember reduced velocity requires more mass to adequately deliver energy to the target.
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2008, 03:14:24 AM »
pretty funny because i remember the ammuntion we had used a 62 grain bullet, there was no 55 grain ammo availible to us.   the m16's had a 1/7 twist, in order to stabilize the heavy bullet.  and that was 91-94.

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2008, 05:58:30 AM »
how heavy of a bullet u going to be shooting??u dont have to buy a upper that has a gas block on it u can buy a flat top with the front sight on it and take it off and put your own gas block that is a piccatiny rail on it .so this way u can get the rifle twist u want and the barrel weght u want, that looks kinda like a heaver barrel i think for home deffence u would want a lighter rifle
1 shot 1 kill

Offline mrbgt

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2008, 07:13:13 AM »
The only concern I would have with that model is the upper reciever is extruded, instead of the standard forged upper . I haven't heard of any failing and DPMS is extruding upper recievers for the AR -10 models as well so it probably isn't anything to worry about .

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2008, 07:19:03 AM »
the ammuntion we had used a 62 grain bullet, there was no 55 grain ammo availible to us.

I believe Myron is correct as I remember - 'corse that memory thing brings anything I say into question...  :-[

I believe the 62 gr. was sort of a failure and the 55 is now back in favor as delivering better performence on target.  Hi-ebber, and day is always a hiebber...  ;)  My opinion of the 55 gr may be slanted since it is all I have used (Hi-Power matches excluded) since '65.

Bill, Rguns is another one that didn't have the best reputation some years back.  I bought something off them and didn't have a problem though.  BUT! That does sound awful inexpensive for a complete DPMS upper!  Heck I'd buy one for that price!  But then I've been sick...  :P

Chrome bolts?  CHROME BOLTS!! WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN CHROME BOLTS!   :D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2008, 07:31:11 AM »
i  have  read [no real expience]  that
you want  the  light  45 to  55 grain  for home defence

they blow up  on  sheet rock  and  are devastating  on target

less home penetration  than  a 9mm....i  read

i  shoot what  ever  works  best  that  is on  sale

practice  is more important than   any thing

if you could  plan  and  know  just  how much penetration/expansion   you would  know enough to avoid shooting
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2008, 08:07:07 AM »
that depends entirely on what kind of bullet you are using, as opposed to the weight of the bullet.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2008, 09:22:07 AM »
varmint /fragile
 i  have  some factory loaded
winchester 45gr jhp

varmint
3600 fps

let  that  nick  you in  the arm or leg
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Totenkopf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2008, 11:06:21 AM »
Myronman I was wrong on the weight, they were 52 gr, not 55 gr. Delta was issued black tip armor piercing (M995) except the two that carried the M1A. Rangers were issued green tip 62 gr. (M885). The green tips are good if you can keep them over 2700 fps, which is hard to do very far with a short barrel. They will fragmentate out the side. The black tips also fragmentate at the cannalure at point blank, but not much over 5 yards in the 14.5".
 Currently only snipers and Delta are issued the 77 gr. match king (MK-262). These are the bullet to have. They have been used in Iraq and Afghanistan. It has made the pipsqueak varmint round into something to depend on. This is the round for the 1-7". I was able to recover a few 77 gr. from Marco Pollo Sheep and Yak. Most bullets had mushroomed to roughly .5" a few in yak fragmented on bone into 2 main slugs and a bunch of little pieces.
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2008, 11:26:33 AM »
hey, you wouldnt have known a guy named "vic" would you? 

Offline Totenkopf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2008, 12:24:27 PM »
PM with last name or nickname and time frame.
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2008, 01:31:50 PM »
i never knew his last name, just his first name.  he was involved in supplying the guys you are refering to at bragg; i met him at a friends house in 93.  we were drinking and talking, and i was b****** about some stuff i needed and could not get.   a week later the friend who's house we were at shows up with a box full of stuff for me, gives it to me and says "this is from vic".   all i am going to say is that the stuff he aquired for me was stuff that was not easy to get, even in military circles.   

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2008, 07:07:46 PM »
Chrome bolts?  CHROME BOLTS!! WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN CHROME BOLTS!    :D

And that from a fellow with a broken Taurus.  :o ;D

Yer prolly right I likely don't need it. Truth is there is NOTHING I hate more than cleaning guns. I prefer to do it ONLY when ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY and not a minute before. Just thought that might prolong the inevitable awhile longer.

I sure hate to hear any bad reports on RGUNS since they sure do seem reasonably priced. You can buy the same direct from DPMS right? Maybe I should compare their price. But really iffen it is a DPMS supplied item then what difference does it make who supplies it so long as it actually ships?

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2008, 01:28:48 AM »
And that from a fellow with a broken Taurus.  :o ;D

::)  9 days into the customer service "7 to 10 days" and no screw... ::) ::)

I sure hate to hear any bad reports on RGUNS since they sure do seem reasonably priced.

The big draw on Rguns always was their price.  I remember they were once advertising Colt's for a lot less then anyone else; if you could find one anywhere else.  I was going to order a lower but it was during the ban, Both my uppers were pre-ban, I didn't think the ban would sunset, etc.   :(   Plus, at one time there were 2 Rguns.  But remember, all my AR info is several years old; things change.  Heck I didn't even know the industry had solved all the problems they were having getting a reliable AR based 308!   :-[

iffen it is a DPMS supplied item then what difference does it make who supplies it so long as it actually ships?

None, unless you like to pay more then you have to...  I mean it's the same product... not like buying a Taurus because you don't want to pay more for a S&W...   :-\
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2008, 08:34:13 AM »
I would buy from rguns again in a second, bought my first complete DPMS lower from them it was at my ffl delear in 4 days. i didnt have any trouble out of them
1 shot 1 kill

Offline Totenkopf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2008, 09:27:22 PM »
 Graybeard, not sure what you're after, if I followed this one right you have a complete lower w/ colapsable buttstock and looking for maybe a buis setup?
Give this one a look.
http://jtdistributing.net/store/more_bu_16ds4.html
They are made by double star, I own one, they are great rifles. They are totally mil spec with even the m-4 cuts for reliable feeding. Most $700 and under uppers are not mil spec. Meaning they are using lesser grade barrels, not providing corrosion resistance under gas block and usually not putting the newest design m-4 feed ramps on them. Not knocking anybodies favored brand, no doubt most likely they will outlast us all. I just like the best I can get for the price since I don't have a lot to throw away. Type in double star Ar-15 upper in google and you should get some feedback online on their quality.
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC