Author Topic: barrel fitting question  (Read 312 times)

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
barrel fitting question
« on: December 06, 2008, 03:30:13 AM »
i've been reading the faq section,getting prepared to fit a barrel(first time) and notice that there are several methods to achieve the hinge pin to barrel fit needed...tim's technique of gluing a shim in the notch and fitting and freds method with the devcon steel, and recall fred pointing out that the hinge pin is somewhat "hollow" meaning the pin is a little bit smaller in diameter in the middle as opposed to the ends of the pin which is telling me that the real fit contact would be on the ends of the pin, not the middle. I have a book"Home Gunsmithing by John Traister" where he describes a method to tighten up the fit on single shot shotguns where you support the lug with a steel block and then peen with a centerpunch close to and around the notch on both sides hoping to distort and force a small amount of metal around the edges of the notch on both sides forward towards the pin and then fit to reciever. I haven't seen this method discussed here and am wondering if any of you guys ever used this technique and if so what was the result?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: barrel fitting question
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 05:17:09 AM »
Fred discussed shaping the latch shelf with a hammer for better fit on his website or here, don't remember which, probably both.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain