Author Topic: 22 sportser rechamber to mag  (Read 2550 times)

Offline buckslugger

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
22 sportser rechamber to mag
« on: July 08, 2007, 12:21:37 PM »
has anyone ever rechambered a 22 long rifle sporster to 22 mag, seems would be as easy as the mag to max 357
any thoughts or experiances ??

roy
live life large

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 22 sportser rechamber to mag
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 01:58:51 PM »
Dunno how accurate that would be, 22Lr bore size is different than the mag, slightly smaller. Particularly with jacketed 22mag bullets, that might just push pressures too high and the results might be less than desired.

Tim

http://www.reamerrentals.com/rimfiretable.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 02:15:01 PM »
I have read and seen somewhere that the difference in specs is .001" between the .22 LR and the .22 Mag. If and when I get another Versa Pack .22 Rimfire barrel I am going to ream out the chamber to .22 Mag. I will shoot it mainly with lead bullets but if all goes well, and I fully suspect it will, I may someday try jacketed ammo in it. I believe a Versa Pack in .410, 20 or even with my 28 gauge barrel, coupled with a .22 Mag would make a great combo gun. A 20 with birdshot and slugs, coupled with a .22 Mag barrel and a handful of ammo would make a great "survival" gun in your pack or in the canoe during a trip into the woods.....<><....:)   
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 04:19:29 PM »
Got me to thinking , i will just have to slug my 22 LR barrel to see what it realy is  .  ::)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 01:48:11 AM »
That would be great Stimpy, please let us know what it measures out as. Do you happen to have a H&R .22 Mag as well? If so could you please slug and measure it also?     Thanks....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 05:21:26 AM »
Current production barrels made by Marlin have the same bores for both 22Lr and 22mag, except the mag has more grooves to deal with the higher pressure.

22 LR
Bore .219"-.221"
Groove  .2225"-.2240"
Twist 1:16"
16 grooves

22 WMR
Same except 20 grooves

The problem will be with older barrels that were made by different barrel makers that use the tighter bores in the 22Lr, a rechamber of one of those barrels may result in cartridge case head failure. :o

So, no matter what the specs are, it would be very advisable to slug the bore as Stimpy said, before wasting time and money on a rechamber, H&R has used different barrel sources over the years, it's hard telling what the bore is. :-\

Tim

Offline JustShootin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 05:45:13 AM »
Tim
I recently purchased a versa-pack barrell on ----. Would this be a late enough edition to get the marlin barrel? Reaming was what I thought about doing.
Thanks
Grant
12ga 18 1/4" barrel = Bedroom gun,    12 w/rifled slug barrel,    .410,    12ga mod barrel only,    .22 Sportster,    .17 HMR Sportster,    .223 Rem,    .22 Hornet,    30/30,    45/70,    .357 Rem Max,    .50 Sidekick.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 05:54:26 AM »
There's no way to really know, except to slug it.

Tim

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 05:58:09 AM »
For the cost of a reamer, and the work necessary to make it a 22 mag, plus the unknown of accuracy.....when compared to buying a sportster 22mag for $110 brandy new....with a warranty....with no work.....why not just buy the gun?

Then sell your old 22LR.

MHO

Dave

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 06:07:23 AM »
Dave, H&R doesn't offer the Versa barrel in 22mag, just 22Lr, so that would be a plus for the rechamber of a Versa pack barrel IF the bore is correct. ;)

Tim

Offline JustShootin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 07:44:41 AM »
Thanks for the info Tim.
I plan to use this barrel on a .410 and keep it as a combo. I have no use for this combo but liked the idea. It is one of those handiholics obsessions.
Thanks
Grant
12ga 18 1/4" barrel = Bedroom gun,    12 w/rifled slug barrel,    .410,    12ga mod barrel only,    .22 Sportster,    .17 HMR Sportster,    .223 Rem,    .22 Hornet,    30/30,    45/70,    .357 Rem Max,    .50 Sidekick.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 09:37:24 AM »
Dave, H&R doesn't offer the Versa barrel in 22mag, just 22Lr, so that would be a plus for the rechamber of a Versa pack barrel IF the bore is correct. ;)

Tim

O-I-C. It's another one of those NEF things. Ok, I confess, I don't get it. I'm a Thompson guy at heart. That's just how it is. ;D

Dave

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 07:55:04 AM »
  It seems that a couple (or several) years ago..over on rimfirecentral.com , there was some discussion and experimenting on using slightly smaller bores and (let me make up a term).."fireswaging" the .22 RF bullets up through the bore...

I'm not saying it worked..don't know, but there were some threads on that issue..and some CLAIMED higher velocities from the practice.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 06:40:01 AM »
For the cost of a reamer, and the work necessary to make it a 22 mag, plus the unknown of accuracy.....when compared to buying a sportster 22mag for $110 brandy new....with a warranty....with no work.....why not just buy the gun?

Then sell your old 22LR.

MHO

Dave

here here if it aint broke don't fix it
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 02:22:34 PM »
My idea was to get one receiver that could fire a .30 (or so) caliber centerfire, a .22 Mag and a shotgun barrel. Perhaps a combo with even 4 barrels on one receiver, one of which would be the .22 Mag, one a shotgun barrel (with choke tubes), and perhaps TWO different centerfire barrels and carry them all in the same canvas type carrier....<><....:)

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 03:19:50 PM »
My idea was to get one receiver that could fire a .30 (or so) caliber centerfire, a .22 Mag and a shotgun barrel. Perhaps a combo with even 4 barrels on one receiver, one of which would be the .22 Mag, one a shotgun barrel (with choke tubes), and perhaps TWO different centerfire barrels and carry them all in the same canvas type carrier....<><....:)

Great Idea, Andy!  Please keep us posted when and if it happens.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 05:00:17 AM »
Thanks buddy and I will. All I need to do now is to locate another Versa Pak .22 LR barrel to rechamber to .22 Mag for the project.
If anyone has one to sell me to assist this project towards completion please let me know...Thanks....<><....:)

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 12:01:55 PM »
I have wanted something along these lines and I had finally figured out how. I picked up a youth combo   7mm08,22lr,and 20guage, put a adult stock on   and I am a happy camper  .The two spare barrels ,extra ammo for each, and cleaning gear fits in Uncle Mikes double shot gun case.  I will post pictures when my in house photog's  comes home,    Doug ::)
a armed man is his own master

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 01:54:11 PM »
Where did you find the youth 3 barrel combo? Is the rimfire the offset chamber Versa Pak barrel?....<><....:)

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 05:10:04 PM »
MSP, yes the barrel is off set   I bought it from luvtohunt (luvtohunt.com) a regular here,it  has all the things I wanted , I had never considered a rechamber to 22 mag...  Doug

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 05:34:25 PM »
Hmmmm, RR has never listed a 7mm-08 combo, I wonder if luvtohunt swapped out a barrel or had another fitted?

Tim

http://rrarms.com/catalog.php?action=0&brand=NMECR

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2007, 03:49:29 AM »
canon6, where did you get the carry bag for that combo? Are there are names or identifying marks on it? It looks better than the bag/case I have. Any idea on the cost or where they are available?....<><....:)

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2007, 05:00:34 AM »
MSP,it is a UncleMikes.It is for a over under shotgun,cost $34.95 at Spotrsmanswarehouse in Washington.  UncleMikes part number 5208-2   hth   Doug

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2007, 03:13:01 PM »
Thanks Buddy, it sure looks nice. I will try to pick one up....<><....:)

Offline Hofs01

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 06:39:01 AM »
Anything ever happen with reaming a 22lr versa pack barrel to a 22 mag?
IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
how come God made 'em outta meat?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 06:48:15 AM »
Yes, I had it done several months ago and it is a sweet shooter!!! It only took a short time at the gunsmiths while we talked over a cup of coffee and he did it with a reamer he had on hand. I highly recommend having it done, especially if you are lucky enough to have two .22 LR Versa Pak barrels....<><....:)

Offline Hofs01

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2008, 07:10:27 AM »
Fortunatly my smith has the reamer and I have the barrel.

I will see what he charges.

Wish I had two like you!
IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
how come God made 'em outta meat?

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008, 09:47:59 AM »
Fortunatly my smith has the reamer and I have the barrel.

I will see what he charges.

Wish I had two like you!

Any other updates here?  I was possibly looking to do the same thing.

LAZER
LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2008, 12:28:49 PM »
My original .22 LR Versa Pak barrel that I had reamed out to .22 Mag is still working GREAT. I have been lucky enough to have recently picked up another .22 LR Versa Pak barrel but there are no firm plans to have that one reamed out to .22 Mag, yet....<><....:)