Author Topic: 20 ga. pardner drilled and tapped  (Read 537 times)

Offline CPHILL

• Trade Count: (0)
20 ga. pardner drilled and tapped
« on: December 09, 2008, 01:49:43 PM »
  I would like to know if a 20 ga. pardner can be tapped for a scope mount. I understand a 12ga walls are to thin. A20 with hevi-shot and a reddot is deadly on tom.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: 20 ga. pardner drilled and tapped
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 03:10:22 PM »
Yes, any 20 gauge H&R can easily and safely be drilled and tapped for a scope rail by any competent gunsmith, and even by many of us shade tree mechanics with a drill press. I have two 12 gauge Tracker II's that have beed drilled and tapped and which have had scope rails screwed and epoxied on. It IS doable with a newer 12 gauge barrel (the older ones were thinnner and probably not douable) but it is painstaking work only to be tried by a good gunsmith. My first one was drilled for 8/40 screws instead of the usual 6/48's, tapped to the bottom of the short hole with a bottoming tap, the screws were each fitted for complete and proper fit to the tapped hole they were going in. The holes in the H&R scope rail was redone by the smith to fit the 8/40 screws correctly and then the rail was set with epoxy and the screws. It is safe and secure. It can be done to a 12 gauge, but not easily or cheaply. Drilling and tapping a 20 gauge barrel is childs play compared to a 12 gauge...<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline CPHILL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 20 ga. pardner drilled and tapped
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 03:22:20 PM »
 Thank for the info. I have nova pump in a 20ga for my wife and with hevi-shot  it will out shoot my 870 12 ga  and with half the recoil . I was thinking of getting a 20ga pardner this spring. Has anyone had luck patterning hevi-shot in a pardner 20ga on this forum.