Author Topic: 20ga ULSH  (Read 1224 times)

Offline eod20

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
  • stinker
20ga ULSH
« on: November 22, 2008, 07:41:57 AM »
does anyone have any info on the availability of 20ga ultra light slug hunter barrels  or would it be easier to just get the standard USH barrel ?
looking for ejectors - 308, 8mm, 35 rem, 25-20, 32-20, 357 mag, 45LC

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
Re: 20ga ULSH
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 08:03:14 AM »
When they were in Massachusetts, I think you could get any barrel that was in current production, whether on the accessory barrel list or not. I'd think it would work the same in Ilion, but I'm not certain of that.

Looks like they put a scope base on the Tracker II rifled barrel and called it ULSH.
http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/ultraSlug.asp

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 08:44:35 AM »
Striker525 got one fitted, but it's not on the acc barrel list yet.

Tim

Very satisfied! I sent my TH Stock and frame in to have a 12ga barrel put on. they couldn't fit the Heavy Barrel to my frame so they were going to put the Handi Partner barrel (Iron sighted)  I called them after looking through my catalog and asked them If I could get an Ultra light barrel put on instead (don't like Iron Sights getting old). I was informed that the Ultra light barrel isn't part of the Barrel accessory program but he would check for me. He came back on the line and said that they have them in stock and he would make sure that the Ultra light barrel was put on for me. ;D ;D When I recieved the rifle back I checked it all over, didn't find a scratch or nick anywhere. All in all I am very satisfied with the service. I agree with whoever said that the service will get better as time goes. I'm sure that if Whetherby or Zeiss moved their manufacturing plant from one place to another they would also have some problems also.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline eod20

• Avid Poster
  • stinker
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 09:03:03 AM »
thank you for that info quick    and i am sorry for posting in the wrong place  :-[

as to the last post is the ULSH just the tracker II without sights or is it a heavier barrel?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »
The Tracker II only has sights and doesn't have Ultragon rifling.....whatever that's worth.  :D

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/tracker2.asp

Offline eod20

• Avid Poster
  • stinker
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 09:23:15 AM »
quick   i tried the 9292 phone number in the facts for h&r   it is not working    do they have a new number since the move

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 09:25:03 AM »
It's still listed on the website, I just tried it, works for me. ???

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/about/contactus.asp

Offline eod20

• Avid Poster
  • stinker
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 09:49:37 AM »
what IS ultragon rifiling anyway    sounds like the glock rifiling not traditional but wide flats that squeeze the projo

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 02:04:27 PM »
what IS ultragon rifiling anyway    sounds like the glock rifiling not traditional but wide flats that squeeze the projo

Yeah, What is "ultragon rifling"?
LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 05:35:06 PM »
Here's the best description of UG rifling I've seen.

Tim

it has been cut with six oval lands and grooves. H&R says this is similar to parabolic rifling and it spins bullets without leaving sharp impressions on sabot jackets or Foster-type lead slugs.

Offline Thunder

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 12:20:48 AM »
I cant speak for the 20 but I have my frame in to have the 12g ulsh barrel installed. Currently they are not in stock and he did not have a price or time frame.

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 04:59:48 PM »
So I was at Gander Mtn today and they had 3 12ga USH's in stock.  Good God! That thing would need an accessory wheel on it to get out to the stand!  Wow! was that thing heavy. 

I have a NEF tracker 2 in 12 ga, but I am thinking I will get a 20 ga barrel now fitted to my SB2.  What is the ULSH in 20 ga like?  Hopefully not quite the anvil that the 12 ga USH is.  Is it $103 as an accessory like the 20 ga USL?

One mor thing, my Tracker 2 12 ga is drilled and tapped and I see that they now are not tapped from the factory.  Mine, when shooting factoy heavy 3" mag slugs, will deform the brass up into the voids of the tapped holes and not eject the spent hull due to this.  I do have a scope on it, but there is still a void on the inside tapped holes as the fasteners are not flush to the inside.  Has anyone else experienced this?
LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford

Offline Thunder

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 12:24:39 AM »
I had a 20ga ush made on a SB1 .410 frame for my daughter last year. It uses a 12ga barrel blank so its still heavy, not real bad but heavy.  The cost for the package of a barrel with scope rail, fore end, trigger spur assembled and shipped back to me was $115.00
I was going to do the same as you with the tracker II barrel until I read the concerns on this forum.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 03:13:10 AM »
I have not been impressed yet with my ULSH 20 at this point I think my Tracker II is just as good .My TII 20 has been drilled and tapped. I do need to gine the ultragon lots more testing to be convinced that it is some how better maybe after the season I'll try and see if I can get it to shoot the ton of winchester foster slugs I got cheap I know the TII won't shoot them as they lead very bad and each one shoots dif area at 50 yrds but maybe the ultragon rifling will be the dif. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 04:48:34 AM »
"One more thing, my Tracker 2 12 ga is drilled and tapped and I see that they now are not tapped from the factory.  Mine, when shooting factoy heavy 3" mag slugs, will deform the brass up into the voids of the tapped holes and not eject the spent hull due to this.  I do have a scope on it, but there is still a void on the inside tapped holes as the fasteners are not flush to the inside.  Has anyone else experienced this?"

I am not aware of any 12 gauge barrels built on 12 gauge barrel blanks that have ever come drilled and tapped from the factory. If yours is that way from the factory, and is drilled completely through the metal and into the chamber area return it and get another barrel. If some homegrown gunsmith did it and you bought it from him fouled up like that you may be out of luck....<><....:(
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 08:28:10 AM »
Like I said in the PM, I am not convinced that the factory didn't tap this one.  The scope rail is interchangeable to my 45/70 and it had dummy plugs in the holes.  It is a decent tap job, it just doesn't like 3" loads of more than 1 oz.  I shoot my handload slugs that are on the hot side all day and I have never had one stick.  I don't see any reason to send it in, it groups and shoots well with sabots.  I will however be sending in my SB2 to get another slug barrel fitted as I need another one.  I can't decide on standard rifled 12ga with scope mount, 20 ga ush or the 20 ga ULSH.  Anyone have any input to help my decision?  I like the 12 gauge because I reload my own sabots for it and I am not set up to load 20 ga no will I be in the near future.  I have nothing against a 20 ga, and I believe they have great power and wouldn't limit my game taking abilities.  I do not want a 12ga USH as I handled one at the gunshop the other day and it was quite an anvil.  Is the 20 ga USH on the same order? Or, is it much lighter?

Thanks,

LAZER
LAZERMULE

Offline squirrellluck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 02:01:20 PM »
Maybe  I'm missing some thing but the old gunsmith I learned to drill and tap from told me you never tap through into the inside of the chamber. Am I wrong?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 02:22:48 PM »
No, you are not wrong. No real gunsmith, no company, not even a "shade tree" or backyard/garage/home workshop gunsmith who had any idea of what he was doing would EVER drill and tap completely through a chamber area to mount a scope rail....<><.... :o
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 02:41:28 PM »
Here's a sorta related issue with scope rails on Encore 12ga barrels.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,137316.msg1098532335.html#msg1098532335