Author Topic: Adding weight to youth synthetic stock  (Read 293 times)

Offline snakeskinner

• Trade Count: (4)
Adding weight to youth synthetic stock
« on: December 13, 2008, 09:04:06 AM »
Today I traded my son's 243 ultra for a 7mm-08. All three of us are happy. I reinstalled the youth synthetic stock and forend. My son is 12 and small in stature so he needs the 12.5" LOP of the youth synthetic. Makes for a great little pointer that is easily manueverable in a buddy stand with railing. Came in handy a few weeks ago.
Looking at the recoil index table I think I am going to need to add something to the stock for range use. I don't want to give my son a flinching problem.

What have some of you done to the hollow synthetic stocks to add weight? Has anyone ever stripped the synthetic stock recoil pad screws like sometimes happens with wood? I have a wooden youth stock (inch longer) that he can use when he get a little older. I even use it when I have bulky clothes on.
Get right with the Man.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Adding weight to youth synthetic stock
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 09:45:42 AM »
On the syn stocks, most fill a sock with lead shot and put it in the stock cavity, you can stuff some foam packing peanuts in to keep it in place depending on how much lead you add, it also helps deaden the stock when it's bumped.

Never stripped the screw holes out, the material is pretty forgiving, I do use paraffin or bees wax on the screws when I reinstall them.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bvb2508

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 03:34:30 PM »
i filled mine with a real fine sand in a freezer bag.it helped balance the gun out and also helped the recoil.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 03:46:35 PM »

When my son was younger I used a sandwich bag full of fishing weights and then padded them with the packing peanuts like Tim said. Anything would work, it's just that the fishing weights were the easiest thing for me to get hold of at the time.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff