Author Topic: LET'S DISCUSS DIFFERENCES  (Read 5137 times)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: LET'S DISCUSS DIFFERENCES
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2008, 07:54:58 AM »
  I think my best moment was the guy at the range with a suppressed original Mac-10 9mm. Didn't remember to lean into it. 1100rpm, we had to replace light balasts and several ceiling tiles. That's a chase the squirrel up the tree gun. Anywho, off topic, but it was funny..... :D

Mohawk, is the Ingram Mac 10 not a 45acp, and the Ingram Mac "11" the 9mm? I have fired both suppressed and carried the 11. You could hear the bolt work when the suppressor was clean. It has been a long time, and I could be wrong.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Mohawk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2008, 08:19:35 AM »
  Ours were in 9mm. Originals, 10's, not the remakes that jammed frequently. That's the only caliber I have used the MAC with. But with the suppressor, they were very well balanced. It kept the rise controllable. Almost sounded like splattering paint on paper with a paint brush with the suppressor. The only problem was the suppressor would unscrew every two to three mags. Trained on the original UZI. Decent guns but had occasional problems with light primer strikes. But being a much lower rpm you could print hand sized patterns at 15 yds with ease.

Offline Dee

« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2008, 08:27:56 AM »
Didn't care for the Uzi, trained on entries with the MP5 (at $5,000.00+ each), and could never figure out what they were good for in L.E. Went back to a gas operated shotgun for entries, and wouldn't allow team members to use the 5s either. No range on the 9mm, and too much penetration on entries to buildings. Dry wall was not very effective in keeping the fight in the right room.
I guess I dated myself on the Ingram question huh?

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2008, 08:36:40 AM »
..lol.. :D  Well, my dad was in your era! I never cared for the MP-5 either. Especially, the shorter K version. It was too "choppy", if that makes any sense. We all hated it! And I agree, the shotguns were better.

Offline CyberDean

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2008, 08:44:38 AM »
Hi All, new on the block and have been reading this thread along with many others for the last three days.

The reason I'm in here is to find the right defensive weapon for me, type, caliber and size.  You have lots of info but I'm still confused. 

I have friends that are police officers that use 40 cal S&W which I am assisting them in reloading, I have prior experience with the 45 cal military pistol years back.  I am leaning towards a 40 cal semi-auto.  But I have a concern,  my hands are small.  During my experience with the 45 I managed shooting it very well by using only the tip of my index finger to pull the trigger, not just above the upper joint, but the upper half of the upper joint.  Shooting like that is not fun.

Looking for some help locating, identifying a hand weapon that I can shoot and handle with confidence.  Caliber is not the problem, fitting in my hand so my index figure can easily reach the trigger is.

Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.

Dean
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."  Mt 6:33

Dean, West Virginia, USAF, Retired, NRA Life Member, member HCA, USCCA

S&W M&P 45 & M&P Compact 40S&W, H&R Handi Rifle SB2 45-70 (2),  Marlin 1895G 45-70 GOVT,  Winchester 70 25 WSSM,  Santa FE #12014 Delux Mauser MK1 30-06

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2008, 08:56:08 AM »
Cyber,   If your hands are too small for a 1911, I don't think you will be able to use any of the double stack guns. I wear large gloves, and most of them don't feel good to me. By double stack I mean the newer autos where the bullets alternate from side to side in the clip like most rifle magazines. Single stackers the bullets lay on top of each other like the 1911.

Offline CyberDean

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2008, 09:08:05 AM »
Hi bilmac,  I am right handed but shoot from the left also, the palm of my hands are 3.5 inches from the crease at the wrist to the beggining of the middle finger, and my index finger is 2.5 inches.  Yes, I'm a little man with a big heart.  What about the smaller semi-autos like the Walther?  Never tried one so I don't know.

Dean
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."  Mt 6:33

S&W M&P 45 & M&P Compact 40S&W, H&R Handi Rifle SB2 45-70 (2),  Marlin 1895G 45-70 GOVT,  Winchester 70 25 WSSM,  Santa FE #12014 Delux Mauser MK1 30-06

Offline Dee

« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2008, 09:12:30 AM »
CyberDean, the 40 cal. is an excellent cartridge, and a good stopper. I carried 2 of the Glock 23s in forty caliber. I felt very well armed, and they carried well, and pointed well.
The only shooting situation I ever was in was on two occasions with two large dogs. 1 a Chow, and the other a Pit. I was happy to shoot both, and both reactied desirablely.
There is an officer I trained about 14 years ago, that also carried the Glock 23, and won a fight decisively at room distance, with an opponent whom was also armed with a handgun. The opponent never got off a shot, and expired on the scene.
As I said good, point-a-bility, and in this case good shot placement. The officer whom is still a good friend said time lapse was less than 3 seconds, and witnesses testified at grand jury of the same. TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2008, 09:16:11 AM »
  The Walthers are good. I tested a P-99? 9mm and it was great. That was several vodka drinks and craigslist girls ago but I do remember the gun. Small grips, and reliable.

Offline CyberDean

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2008, 09:28:37 AM »
Thanks Dee and Mohawk, I guess the next step is to find a place here in WV where I can "touch and feel" and maybe shoot the pistols.  Later, I'll be back.

Dean

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2008, 09:43:10 AM »
 No problem. We at GB's are like the guys in the barber shop in that movie "Coming to America", with Eddie Murphy. You might try to find a rental range to experiment with what you like. Good luck and keep in touch.

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2008, 02:42:54 PM »
want another Walther 99? Less than 20 rds fired.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson