Author Topic: How much per pound for lead?  (Read 876 times)

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
How much per pound for lead?
« on: December 23, 2008, 05:03:02 PM »
I am going to start visiting our local tire shops for the purpose of stock piling lead. What is a fair price to pay for the wheel weights at the tire shops? Charlie
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: How much per pound for lead?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 05:55:37 PM »
  MOST of the tire shops in this area have a deal with a recycler who picks them up on a regular basis. My nephew works for Wal Mart and asked about getting a couple buckets for me.His boss said they are LEAD,and a "controlled substance"! He said other casters have asked and got the same answer. SO IF the tire guy will part with some give him what he asks. I would check put the junk yard to see what they are getting first.

Offline D Crockett

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 06:28:32 PM »
I just paid 0.26 a lb for it bought all they had and will get more when they have it D Crockett

Offline Idaho Ron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 10:56:50 AM »
The last bucket I got (for free) had so many zinc weights that I will not ever buy WW's no matter the cost. Ron

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 11:06:04 AM »
See if you have an industrial battery distrubutor or repair center in your area.  (The folks that sell and repair forklift batteries).  They will have pure lead in 1# bars for sale.  The price will vary according to market.  If you can't locate one near you, PM me and I will send you some links.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Sir Charles deMoutonBlack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 04:50:08 PM »
I have a corner gas station mechanic that lets me take his WWs just for carrying them away.  I make sure I leave things neat & tidy. In Canada I've found very few zinc weights.  Mostly clip-on's, but more & more flat stick-on strips.

I have found that the local "Canadian Tire" shops have a guy that gets them on the pretext of being Hazardous waste.