Author Topic: new 22-250 sent back to h&r  (Read 564 times)

Offline savage308

• Trade Count: (1)
new 22-250 sent back to h&r
« on: December 21, 2008, 05:43:03 PM »
i bought a new 22-250 ultra varmint with a choate plastic stock and mounted a leupold
scope and boresighted it then loaded the win. 45 gr. and expected to get 1" groups.
well was i disapointed when the next 3 shots were in a 12" circle at 100 yds.
i checked the scope mounts ,all were tight so i tried 3 more and again 12"spread so i packed it up and
took it back to the gun shop and they said they would send it back to the factory.I'm going to try to
contact h&r tomorrow and try to order 3 new barrels and a trigger job while its there.any suggestions?

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: new 22-250 sent back to h&r
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 06:11:06 PM »
If I had a rifle that shot a 12 inch "group" I don't think I would be buying three more barrels for it.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 06:14:34 PM »
If I had a rifle that shot a 12 inch "group" I don't think I would be buying three more barrels for it.  Larry

If I have a rifle that shoots a 12" group my very first reaction would be to try another scope. Easily 90% of the time these kinds of issues are scope related and in my experiences price and brand of the optic have no bearing on the likelihood of failure. It's just that the warranty is better on some brands of optics than others

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 06:55:51 PM »
Or a simple thing like oil on the latch/shelf can cause poor accuracy, that's the number one cause reported by H&R gunsmiths.....Handi Basics 101!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 12:52:15 PM »
Or a simple thing like oil on the latch/shelf can cause poor accuracy, that's the number one cause reported by H&R gunsmiths.....Handi Basics 101!! ;)

Tim

and that is very true!!!!!!!!!!
been there, and won the prize.........
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline towpro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 01:45:05 PM »

Tim
And I will third this remark!  Plus read the O-ring trick on the forearm trick on the FAQ.  I went from "not being able to hit the side of a barn from the inside" to hitting rams at 500 meters with my 22-250 fluited bull barrel I added to my Buffalo Classic.  I know a ram is pretty big (size of a white tail deer), but 500 meters is a long way.  I can also hit clay birds at 200 meters every shot. one of these days I got to shoot at some paper to see how well it really is doing.