Author Topic: New to bbl accessory program ???  (Read 497 times)

Offline rlelvis

• Trade Count: (0)
New to bbl accessory program ???
« on: December 20, 2008, 05:11:30 AM »
I own a few H&Rs and NEFs but have never sent one in for a new bbl.  Find myself with a few questions and concerns, that can maybe be answered best here.  ???

First the plan is to have a second USH now in 20ga and a ‘super’ turkey gun (that will of course see limited use);
I have a ’87 SB1 frame, SN NB281###. I was planning of having two BBLs fitted to it.  First the 20ga USH bbl, I am very happy with my 12ga USHD and would like a 20ga.  Second is the 12ga, 24”, turkey, Ext Full. 
I would like to mount a scope on the 12ga turkey bbl as the eyes are not what they used to be.  Since both would be scoped a replacement Monte Carlo stock would be in order and allow a switch between the two without sight alignment concerns.

First question. For those who have had a USH bbl fitted have you realized similar accuracy results to the factory USH complete guns?  I do understand that all shoot a little different with different slugs.

Second, can a 12ga Turkey bbl be factory drilled and rail mounted or will I have to have this done separately? 
I know that several of the bbls can not be scoped according to NEF.

Third, who has experience with the 12ga Turkey bbl as far as patterning? I did not see any specific references in the FAQ.  Again understanding that all pattern slightly different.

Fourth, the frame currently has a .410 bbl mounted, on the accessory page I see that the forend is to be sent in with the receiver for fitting.  Isn’t the contour of the 12ga bbl different then the 410?  How is this taken into account with different bbl contours?

That being said I am seriously considering going with the laminate thumbhole for this frame and assume that they could provide both new forends to match the laminate (yes std hardwood forend is included in the USH bbl price). Are there other sources for a thumbhole stock and forend set that are more cost effective?  Fitting is not a problem.

The last concern I have is that of accuracy and switching bbls.  Reading the forum and FAQ I see there is a potential for accuracy loss of varying degrees due to constant bbl swaps.  I believe this is probably more predominant in medium to large cal with higher pressures and would not be as problematic in this instance.  Any thoughts or experience here would be GREATLY appreciated as the cost of two bbl and new stock with forend (est $320) exceeds the cost of the factory 20ga USH (est $220).  I see the big difference in cost savings in the fact that I would end up with a thumbhole stock, which I greatly prefer.  Otherwise I would end up purchasing two stocks with two new guns and could add up $ fast.

I sure did not mean to get long winded with this one but do greatly appreciate any input or references.

I realize most answers will be purely subjective but I figure those experienced with the bbl accs program may be able to provide some insight.  8)

Thanks Again

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: New to bbl accessory program ???
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 03:27:07 AM »
Not being that familier with USH I cannot answer many of your questions but on question 2 it's the 12 gauge that they will not drill and tap.  There is not enough metal around the chamber area they say.

Question 4:  Most all, but the superlight rifles, have the same contour up to the end of the forearm.  They start their taper to match the gauge, or caliber, after that first 11 1/2 inches.

Offline rlelvis

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New to bbl accessory program ???
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 10:48:51 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I knew the forend was close to contour but did not realize it would be the same between th 410 and 12.

As far as the scope goes that is wat I thought, same as all others. I was hopping there would be an allowance for mountung on a turkey specific bbl.

Will have to read up on shallow tap and epoxy.