Author Topic: Some would make it a crime to pass on our firearms to family  (Read 644 times)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Some would make it a crime to pass on our firearms to family
« on: December 29, 2008, 01:24:11 PM »
Published December 28 2008
By: Russ Stewart , Duluth News Tribune

A week before Minnesota’s firearm deer season I visited my 86-year-old father. He regaled me with an entertaining stream of tales from his 70 years as a deer hunter in the north woods. He lamented his failing eyesight and then rose from his ancient recliner and went to the closet where he keeps his guns. He took out a battered old case and handed it me. “I want you to have this.”

I knew what was inside. A Savage model 219 single-shot 30-30 rifle. My father bought it in 1944 for $12. It’s well worn after more than 60 years of hard use. It was an honor to be given such an heirloom. Over the past few years my father has passed on most of his modest collection of firearms to his children and grandchildren. It is his way of passing on our family’s heritage.

However, if some people had their way, my father would be a felon the next time he passed on a firearm to a family member. These people complain about a so-called “gun show loophole,” which, if you were to accept the rhetoric of firearm prohibitionists, is responsible for an endless stream of death and carnage.

In truth, attempts to close the “loophole” are really attacks on cherished freedoms that have been quietly enjoyed by millions of Americans since the founding of our nation. With the exception of those unfortunate residents of a few nanny-states, citizens of the U.S. always have been able to gift, buy, sell and trade firearms without the interference of government.

But if people like Duluth’s Joan Peterson, a member of the national board of trustees of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence (and the author of the Dec. 9 Local View commentary, “ ‘Gun show loophole,’ still open in Minnesota, must be closed”) are able to enact their legislative agenda, this liberty will be extinguished. The sad part is that if they are successful, crime rates would be unaffected. It is well established that only a tiny fraction of guns used to commit crimes come from gun shows. But that doesn’t stop the prohibitionists from scaring people with exaggerated stories.

Peterson wrote that we need to pass a law to “require unlicensed sellers to perform background checks on buyers at gun shows and other venues.” What she didn’t write was that these “other venues” include my father’s living room. The proposed legislation requires a background check for every private firearm bought, sold or gifted. So when Peterson claimed the proposed law “wouldn’t change anything for law-abiding citizens,” she was simply wrong.

Another thing firearm prohibitionists won’t tell you is that in order for a universal background check system to be effective, every gun would need to be registered with the government.

There are those who would take offense at my use of the term “prohibitionist” to describe members of groups like the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and the Northland Million Moms, but actions speak louder than words. While speaking of “reasonable gun laws,” they advocate a program of incremental prohibition of private firearm ownership.

Our nation already has more than 20,000 laws relating to firearms, and 99 percent of them are an affront to liberty. As new laws are introduced in response to Brady Campaign scare tactics, I am reminded of the words of Ben Franklin: “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security.”

I’ve got news for the prohibitionists of the world. My father won’t give up his freedom to pass on his legacy without government interference — and neither will I, nor will my family, nor my friends. Nor will millions of other freedom-loving citizens. The passage of a new set of gun-control laws would simply create a new class of felons out of formerly law-abiding citizens.

And that may have a set of unintended consequences all its own.

RUSS STEWART of Duluth served two terms on the City Council and is a professor at Lake Superior College.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Some would make it a crime to pass on our firearms to family
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 05:17:12 PM »
 I understand this will be one of those things that will surface with Obama as well.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 05:29:48 PM »
“wouldn’t change anything for law-abiding citizens,” she was simply wrong.  Let us call it what it is she was lying and she knew it.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 03:33:02 AM »
The sad thing is that the great mass of people who:
- just don't care
- believe this kind of tripe about "loopholes"
- hate guns and the right to own them
- are criminals and would like to see more gun laws to disarm their prey
- are gun owners and are naive enough to buy into this baloney (some who visit here)
- do not support pro-gun organizations
- will vote for, and support ANY anti-gun legislation
- do not value the freedom to own firearms
-do not recognize that more gun laws do not work
-are uneducated about safe and lawful ownership and use of firearms
-and will misrepresent firearms use and ownership whenever they want to suit their agenda

is growing!  :(

And sadly, I believe "our side" is shrinking.   :(
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 10:00:27 AM »
While in the military I spent a number of years living in Spain.  At that time, under Franco, the La Guardia Civil was judge, juror and executioner on the spot.  The Spanish people were restricted to owning only one shotgun without special permits which were very hard to come by.  If they were a registered international completive shooter, certain military or police, then they could own more than one.  Every gun was registered!  It was law that when the person a gun was registered to died the police came to their house and confiscated their gun; it was taken to a local armory for disposal.  A gun could not be handed down to a relative (or any person) by the owner.  In other words, guns were under very strict government control.

As an American military member, and register international completive shooter I could own up to five long guns and three handguns.   I was very selective in what I bought.  On one occasion I had the opportunity to visit the armory where the confiscated guns were stored for the purpose of purchasing a gun.  To see what was stored there, and the way they were stored (abused) would make a gun lover cry.

It would not surprise me at all to see our new “ruler” attempt to enact some of these types of laws here in America.  He is filling his appointments with those that have a history of supporting gun control and I am sure they will try to restrict the types of guns we can own.  In the mean time, I  hope my firearms can be passed on to my son and grandsons when I pass on.

Like it or not, gun owners are safest in numbers, I don't go along with all the NRA politics, but it is the best act in town, if don't belong now, you should join immediately.

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 11:00:21 AM »
It would not surprise me at all to see our new “ruler” attempt to enact some of these types of laws here in America.  He is filling his appointments with those that have a history of supporting gun control and I am sure they will try to restrict the types of guns we can own.  In the mean time, I  hope my firearms can be passed on to my son and grandsons when I pass on.

Yep, he is assembling a real task force of anti-gun people.  Not so visible, are the supporters and contributors on the far left who want to see some payback for their support and contributions.  It's pretty da&%ed sad when we have to worry about whether we can pass our heirlooms to our kids and grandkids.

Like it or not, gun owners are safest in numbers, I don't go along with all the NRA politics, but it is the best act in town, if don't belong now, you should join immediately.

I agree.  I think the NRA is our best chance to maintain some "mass" that will have some influence.  The state rifle associations are important as well, as they can campaign pretty effectively on a local level. 
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 12:15:40 PM »
I may be wrong but I believe that a law was passed during clintons reign of debauchery that made it illegal to transfer, buy, sell, or give away any gun accross state lines, even to family.  Am I remembering this right??? POWDERMAN.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 12:35:04 PM »
America as we know it is gonna die in the first 100 days
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 01:49:09 PM »
I may be wrong but I believe that a law was passed during clintons reign of debauchery that made it illegal to transfer, buy, sell, or give away any gun accross state lines, even to family.  Am I remembering this right??? POWDERMAN.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Powderman, I believe GCA '68 covered most of those issues, requiring interstate transfers to go through an FFL, but my memory isn't always the best.  I don't know about the family issue as an exception. 

Offline CannonKrazy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 01:54:50 PM »
What I keep reading here is everyone is worried that they will have to give up their guns. I to am concerned as to how the laws will change but my decision is final. I will not freely give up my hard earned firearms to some political parties wishes. I have worked hard to earn the money and my rights to own them. It would be completely stupid for anyone to hand over their guns just because the government says so. The criminals in this country won't hand theirs in so why should you. I would rather be made a criminal by keeping my guns and stand for what I believe in than hand them over and wait for them to come take more of my rights away later.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 02:24:23 PM »
Brett, I have a 50 year old Model 94 Winchester my dad bought new in 1958. He hunted with it once, and then gave it to me. I carried it in a patrol car, on man hunts when I was tracker, and in the river bottoms on the Texas Oklahoma border hunting marijuana patches. I even have news clippings my wife cut out with pictures taken of me on some of these operations. This rifle has a very colorful family history in regards to my career, and it's use. I too want it to go to a family member that will respect it's place in my life, and my father's life.
I agree with you on your feelings but, the people are not paying attention when they vote. Many here backed John McCain as president, and he is a HUGE ADVOCATE of closing gun show lupe holes and transferring ownership of firearms among private citizens. I believe it is Washington or Oregon state where he is so hated for aiding the passing of a ban on this so called lupe hole.
Until EVERYONE educates themselves on whom stands for what, we will further deteriorate as a nation.

And CannonKrazy. I agree with you. I would offer the quote from the late Charlton Heston.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett