Author Topic: the finest singleshot semi auto ever  (Read 4037 times)

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
Re: the finest singleshot semi auto ever
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2008, 02:51:52 PM »
People with strong opinions, even when they see things differently, are the lifeblood and heartbeat of this fine country...............when they work together towards an honorable and common goal.

That will be $2.00

(each)
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2008, 04:01:53 PM »
what, you eat at a chinese restuarant today too?  man you should have seen my fortune...something about my personality being able to convince and win people over.  lol!!  imagine that.   now if i could only do something to get folks to warm up to my avatar..... :D

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2008, 04:05:27 PM »
MM3,

Were you in some recent big time movie or somethin. Your face looks so familiar. You, me and jc59 seem to be from the same area.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2008, 04:53:15 PM »
why so serious???

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2008, 04:57:56 PM »
Nothing wrong with your avatar.   Just change it to this.....
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2008, 03:33:50 AM »
you mean wearing the flower petal hat or the pink suit?   ;D

Offline mannyrock

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2008, 07:48:33 AM »

Dear Guys,

Ouch.  My head hurts from reading all of these replies.  Wow.  I  love it.

But, now that the head-butting is over, it appears to me that:

1.  The original post from Blue Cow starts out by saying that he already cleaned the rifle to the best of his ability, and also had someone with more knowledge that he clean the rifle to the best of his ability.

2.  Yes, the next logical step is to have the rilfle stripped down as far as possible, and thoroughly cleaned, polished, and buffed, in all the right places.  But, ya know, I think Blue Cow already knew that.  (Since he hasn't done it, he is obviously reluctant, since it will cost him even more money, and he is worred about throwing good money after bad.)

3.  I think that what Blue Cow really wanted to know was whether there was something special or extra he ought to know about this rifle, before spending more money on it.  (Like, some special part to replace, or some special piece to hone or lube,or some special trick,  or anything else.)

4.  The replies he got were good honest advice: No, there is no special trick to try, AND these rifles have a very bad track record for jamming, and the manufacturer and reputable gunsmiths won't (and can't) fix them.   Conclusion:  You probably don't want to put any more money into this rifle, because it is probably a lost cause.

5.  I didn't hear anyone touting one brand of rifle over another.  I've shot and hunted with many Remingtons in my 38 years of hunting.  Most were very very good, but some were very very bad. 

6.  In all honesty, if you went to 100 reputable gunsmiths in America, and asked them to list the 5 worse rifles ever made by Remington, I'll bet you would find that the 742 autoloader is right at the top of that list. Sorry, but that's pretty obvious.  I doubt that any officer or director of the Remington would disagree.

7.  Of course, there is nothing wrong with owning a single shot hunting rifle, so long as you know that that is what you've got in your hands.

My final advice:  If you can find someone at the gunclub who is familiar with these rifles, and will take it totally apart and thoroughly clean and polish it for $25 or so, then spend the money.  If not, then don't sink any more money into it.    So, then you will have two choices: keep it, and just consider it as a single shot and be happy with it (this will cost you NOTHING), or sell it, get what you can for it, and throw in another $100 or so and get a good reliable used hunting rifle.  A bolt action would be a fine choice, but so would a Marlin lever action, a Savage 99C lever action, or the like.   

Personally, I would sell it, throw in a few more bucks, and buy a new NEF Handi-Rifle in .30-06 or .308

Regards,

Mannyrock

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2008, 10:52:36 AM »
excellent post!

Offline james25889

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2008, 05:12:23 PM »
i have a 742 and if i use new shells it jams probably 50 % of the time i have never had a jam using reloads made with a sb die set my advise to the man is if he dont reload or dosent know anybody that does to sell the rifle and buy a browning if he wants an auto

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2008, 05:10:03 AM »
I have owned a 740 in 244 Remington that never failed to function. I definitly had to keep the locking lug area in the barrel extension brushed out as the powder used in 6MM 80 grain PSP ammo was dirty at the time. It shot easily into 1 1/4 inch. I also owned a couple of the 742 ADL models in 30-06, these shot well and functioned perfectly as long as I kept the gas port clean and the locking lugs clear of powder residue. All were bought used. The 30-06 rifles shot best with 180 grain PSPCL's and Winchester Power points. I just bought a like new 7400, cleaned it, put a scope on it and tomorrow will take it to the range to see how it functions and shoots. I am going to use 150 grain Remington PSPCL's and Federal Powershoks in it's first trials. After closely inspecting the 7400 I feel it is a somewhat better design than the older models.  How well these rifles function is directly attributed to how much powder residue your ammo produces, the pressure curve of the ammo your shooting and how concerned you are about keeping your rifle clean. The 7400 is a simple design and I can see no reason anyone couldn't keep one functioning. If the gas port is clean and the bolt carrier is in good condition then it will function.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline mannyrock

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2008, 10:12:03 AM »
But Rick,

The real question is:  Who wants to have to clean out a chamber and a gas port every 20 rounds or so?  Not me.  :-)

Mannyrock

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2009, 03:46:50 AM »
I don't have to clean the port and locking lugs every 20 rounds, I do it every time I clean it. Even then the need depends on how clean the ammo burns it's powder. Any semi-auto needs more attention than a bolt action. If you feel keeping your rifle dirty is the way to go then you need to stay with bolt actions. Maybe some people are too simple to run semi-auto rifles.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline Country Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
Anyone try a Winchester 100 carbine. It was a dandy deer rifle as is my BAR carbine.

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2009, 02:31:40 PM »
Anyone try a Winchester 100 carbine.

I had one back in the 60s. It was indeed a fine rifle. Wished I'd have kept it now.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline james25889

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2009, 03:47:23 PM »
ive got a winchester model 100 in 284 win havent shot it in about 8 yrs.

Offline mannyrock

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2009, 11:27:10 AM »
Rickt,

If you enjoy spending your spare time cleaning a semi-auto rifle that jams after every 20 rounds or so, then by all means, go to it.  But, don't try tell me its a good rifle.  (Maybe its just simple people who love to scrub a rifle so much?)

Manny

Offline bluecow

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2009, 05:16:25 AM »
cool it.  thank for All adivce

Everything before BUT is B.S.

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2009, 09:31:22 AM »
Manny, I have a couple of PHd's and assorted degrees. I'm not a simple person. But, I do like to keep things simple in the hunting field ! Now play nice.