Author Topic: ? about getting Tracker II barrel for Pardner...  (Read 997 times)

Offline Ky Headhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
? about getting Tracker II barrel for Pardner...
« on: December 10, 2008, 02:08:24 PM »
Hi folks,

Just started a stock refinishing project on a Pardner with a 12 ga. modified choke barrel.  The serial # on the receiver is NC199248.  If I read the sticky correctly, it was made in 1988 & is eligible for the barrel accessory program.  Thinking about sending it in for a Tracker II rifled slug barrel in 20 ga. 

1.  Am I correct that this receiver can accommodate the 20 ga. Tracker II barrel?

2.  For anyone who has added a slug barrel to their Pardner, how'd it turn out?

If I go through with this, it'll be my nasty weather, thick woods deer gun.  Don't need (or want) a scope on it, so the factory iron sights will do just fine. 

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
Re: ? about getting Tracker II barrel for Pardner...
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 07:06:29 PM »
Hi folks,

Just started a stock refinishing project on a Pardner with a 12 ga. modified choke barrel.  The serial # on the receiver is NC199248.  If I read the sticky correctly, it was made in 1988 & is eligible for the barrel accessory program.  Thinking about sending it in for a Tracker II rifled slug barrel in 20 ga. 

1.  Am I correct that this receiver can accommodate the 20 ga. Tracker II barrel?

2.  For anyone who has added a slug barrel to their Pardner, how'd it turn out?

If I go through with this, it'll be my nasty weather, thick woods deer gun.  Don't need (or want) a scope on it, so the factory iron sights will do just fine. 

1. Yes, you are correct
2. I have had this done and it works great. The 20ga. is a real whitetail dispatcher. We use Winchester Partition Gold Sabots and can't say enough on the performance and consistency of this round.

Offline Ky Headhunter

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 04:00:33 AM »
Thanks carbineman. 

I dearly love my flintlock rifle, but it's a real challenge to keep lock & powder dry in rain or snow.  Have a scoped .30-06 for any longer rage situation, but those are rare as hen's teeth in the woods I frequent.  This would fill a niche quite nicely, and for well under $100 ($65+ shipping for barrel & fitting, & a few bucks for stain/finish). 

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 04:19:55 AM »
depending on your preferance for open iron sights or a scope or red dot you might also consider the new lightweight slug barrel with a scope mount already attached from the factory....<<....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Ky Headhunter

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 07:01:12 AM »
It's a great idea to offer a barrel with a base from the factory, but not my cup of tea.  Not a big scope fan... inexpensive scopes are unreliable, and reliable scopes are too expensive.  Finally broke down & bought a good scope for my Savage .30-06, it's a tackdriver & deserves it, but I vowed that any gun or barrel I buy from now on will have open sights. 

I don't mean to sound like an anti-scope militant; they can be great shooting tools & are pretty much required for long range precision.  But I don't do much long-range shooting (past 100 yards) & can live with having to pass up a shot at "the big one" 'cause it was too far for my iron sights.  Hell, I deer hunted with archery gear (traditional & primitive) exclusively for years before blowing out my shoulder.  Many a time there was an animal broadside at 30-50 yards, & me with a hickory selfbow I could shoot well at only 20-25 yards max. 

Thanks for the heads-up though, it's always good for a fella to know what his options are  8)

Offline kernman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 11:40:58 AM »
Ky Headhunter,

I did exactly what you proposed. I am very pleased with the results. It turned my 12 gauge shotgun into a nifty little carbine.

Being sabots are so expensive, I didn't shoot much at the range. But it seems accurate enough, under 50 yards, with a temporary peep sight I installed using a hexagon nut.

I bought it as a rainy day back up to my scoped, Marlin 30-30. I took it out a couple of times. I didn't seen any deer but it was real light to carry.

I plan to install a scope when I get the money.

Do it! you can't go wrong for the money.

Kernman 

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 04:40:35 PM »
I have had 2 Tracker I's, those are smoothbore with rifle sights.  On both, the only complaint is that I had a hard time seeing the front sight.  A splash of green neon paint took care of that.  The 12ga Tracker I is now my deer gun.  Light to carry and plenty of punch at 50yds and beyond, provided I do my part.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 04:56:55 PM »
I agree with Cookiemann, my Tracker I's are my favorite deer shotguns, both in 12 and 20 gauge. They are mare than adequate and accurate out to 50 yards and even beyond, and they do it with the much less expensive Forster style slugs....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline kernman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 06:23:11 AM »
I have a 20 gauge rifled barrel in my hands as I write. I ordered it this summer

It says "Pardner, Tracker II, SB, 20 GA. 3" CYL. Bore."

KY Headhunter, if you want to shoot sabots, order the above.

I thought the smoothbore versions were called "Tracker I?" Could you clarify this, MSP retired? I know you have written about this in the past.

Offline kernman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 06:27:05 AM »
Sorry, I didn't read the past two posts closely enough. The smoothbores are called "Tracker I"

I have a smoothbore 20 Ga. barrel. Anyone know how much a rifle sights set would cost? Does NEF (Remington) sell them?

Thanks in advance, and sorry about any confusion I may have caused.

Kernman