Author Topic: SB2 Ejector mystery  (Read 434 times)

Offline Bearskinz

• Trade Count: (0)
SB2 Ejector mystery
« on: December 29, 2008, 05:13:43 PM »
1.   Decided to address failure to eject problem with SB2 in 243 w/ bull barrel. Polished ejector, lubed with graphite, reassembled using info from FAQ's and still have problem. Upon opening action I first hear a click, then after about 1/2" the ejector sear clicks and the ejector completely misses the 243 snap-cap. If the ejector was still lined up with the rim, it would send it across room, but as it sits it just clicks. While shooting I needed a long, thin dowel handy to push the case out of the chamber from the muzzle.
Did not see the thingy between the small spring and the ejector. I had pulled the mandrel from a pop-rivet and shortened the shaft so it would fit in the spring and bear against the ejector, reasoning that the harder metal end of the mandrel would provide a smaller and less resistive point of contact with the ejector. Does that thing keep the ejector from moving below the case when the action is opened?

2. Cantilevered scope mount looks strange - almost like a tuning fork. I cut a small semi-hard rubber bumper to isolate the set screw from the barrel. Is this a smart thing to do?

3. Added O-ring to forearm mounting lug hoping to improve groups. Haven't shot it yet after making these changes. I get the feeling this rifle wants to shoot well --  first two are usually close but third and after shots may be off by 5 or 6 inches at 100 yds. Disappointing to say the least.

Would appreciate comments from the resident SB2 sages.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: SB2 Ejector mystery
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 07:14:37 PM »
1. The lift button is required for rimless chamberings, won't work without it along with the spring, you can order both from Brownell's, or make your own.

2. The factory recommended setting for the Ultra rail screw is .015" off the barrel, it's just there for support of large scopes.

3. O-rings are just one option to try, I personally have only two of my 39 H&R rifles that have an O-ring installed, most have pressure points.

All of the above are covered in the FAQs and Help sticky. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain