Author Topic: nikon 3x12x42sf monarch  (Read 984 times)

Offline remltr

• Trade Count: (0)
nikon 3x12x42sf monarch
« on: November 26, 2008, 01:38:02 PM »
i just bought a nikon monarch 3x12x42 scope and i didnt get it in the mail yet i just wanted to see what anyone thinks about this scope if you have one or used one i also wanted to see if anyone has used the turret kit for it anf how that worked thak you Eric

Offline KRP

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Re: nikon 3x12x42sf monarch
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 06:57:48 PM »
For the money Nikon's glass is hard to beat.  I don't have that particular scope but I do have several other Nikons with interchangable turrets.  I didn't realize they offered them with that scope but it is good to hear.  A 3-12 with target turrets would work good on a lot of rifles.

Offline 243tom

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 02:09:14 AM »
I do own that scope, mounted on an AR 15, very nice scope, as is most of the Nikon products. I'm also going to check into the turrets you mentioned.

Offline chucky52

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 12:10:35 PM »
Tell me about the turrets. I shoot NRA silhouettes and have sent scopes to Leupold to add a target turret for elevation; but, I'm really having heartburn with Leupold prices. Still, I have never had a problem with a Leupold.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 12:30:57 PM »
chucky52 - have you looked at a Bushnell Elite 3200 10X40? It is a tactical scope with very nice target turrets. They are about $200. They are rugged and have mil-dots and have repeatable clicks. I would think it would be an ideal scope for your kind of shooting. I think there are better scopes, but for the money, I do not know if this one can be beat. Here is a place you can get them with a pic.

http://www.arcadian-sales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=32-1040M&Category_Code=Bushnell_3200_Rifle_Scopes&Store_Code=AS

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline chucky52

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 03:08:26 PM »
It was already on my short list. What's your experience with that Bushnell?

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 05:27:12 AM »
chucky52 - Currently I have one on a T/C Contender in 221 FireBall. I put it on there to experiment about shutting and opening the action from shot to shot to see if bullet impact was going to change and being a short range cartridge I wanted to be able to crank in elevation for longer shots with confidence. Opening and shutting the action doesn't change zero BTW. I liked it so much I am going to put another one on a long range 223 bolt rifle I am in the process of building. The optics are clear enough for me to see small distant objects and the cross hairs do not cover it up. I like the mil-dots and the target turrets. That is why I am going to put it on a long range 223. I can crank in the elevation or wind-age with confidence.

Sorry about high jacking the thread - I think the Monarchs are a very good scope. I do not think you can go wrong with the target turrets if you are going to be adjusting a lot, they sure make it easy. Some people like to just hold over. Others like to dial in the elevation so their cross hairs are on the target by counting clicks. If you are one of those types, the target turrets are very nice. In the past I was a hold over type guy. Since I have gotten better scopes, I like to dial in the elevation for shots that are long for the cartridge.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline chucky52

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 05:22:31 AM »
Still think it sounds like a great scope @ a good price; but, there are days shooting free handed when nobody can hold 10x. I'm thinking a lower power option is going to be critical.