Author Topic: Unbelievable "ahead of its time;" when were advances first fielded?  (Read 488 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Found this yesterday at National Archives, a cannon concept dating from 1843 if I read the date correctly.  Unfortunately I was in a hurry and didn't take pix of the letter that accompanied it to get the description.  I made a quick check for a patent and didn't find one, but maybe one of you will have more luck.  The name on the drawing is "A. Kasson."

I see at least two cannon innovations which weren't put into production, to my knowledge, until 1897 and 1940 respectively.  Can you pick them out and name the weapons they first appeared in?  Any others?

I've been looking at hundreds of early cannon concepts, and so far this one stands out as the clearest example of how someone can come up with concepts that are so far advanced they're filed away and that's about all.

Offline BoomLover

Re: Unbelievable "ahead of its time;" when were advances first fielded?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 06:34:47 AM »
Very unique, way ahead of it's time! Does it have a rotating multiple inner chamber with re-fillable powder chambers, turn the handle and the next chamber lines up, shove it in, lock the breech, and fire?  Sort of like a large revolver? Can't see it too good, no way to magnify the view!  (WebTv) BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 07:17:45 AM »
is it an hydraulic recoil absorber ?? that could be the 1897 invention .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 08:31:28 AM »
Both right.  It appears to have a fluid recoil and/or counterrecoil cylinder(s), like the "hydropneumatic" system on the "French 75" of 1897.  Also, it has a rotating cylinder for rapid-fire, not sure how that loads, but one of the early production cannons with that was the German MG151 of 1940.  The South also had a rotary kind of gun under name of Tappey and Lumsden (now in Petersburg VA,) but I don't think but one or two were made.

If you want larger view of one of the images posted here, unless I'm mistaken, you can copy the link for it by right-clicking on the image, then going to Properties.  You copy that link then put it in your browser address window, and the image should come up full sized.

You may have to add ".jpg" back on like I do, because my "properties" doesn't copy that part.

What I get when I go to properties for one pic above is

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/cannonmn/miscforumsetc/forums29/ArchivesRG156InventionsD798

so then I add .jpg to it, copy it into browser, and go to an image about double the size of the one displayed by this site within a post.

It is a good trick to keep  in mind.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 09:32:10 PM »
 Interesting. Years ago I was researching old airgun patents and found a few mechanisms that have recently returned as 'new' ideas.

"What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun."

Think of what might have been in the Library of Alexandria  :'(
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes