Author Topic: H&R Single Shot 45-70 Shikari  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Weatherman68

• Trade Count: (3)
H&R Single Shot 45-70 Shikari
« on: December 28, 2008, 01:03:25 PM »
I've seen one of these used for $200.00.  Seems like a fair price but does anyone know if you can shoot modern loads in these older rifles?  ???  I reload my own 45-70 but Hornady's 45-70 bullet designed for lever guns is what I would like to use.  I have a Buffalo classic now and it is a great gun and lots of fun to shoot (with a heavy coat on) but the long barrel is tough to maneuver in the Pennsylvania woods.  I have been looking for something a little longer than what is provided with the standard 45-70 handi but not as long as the Buff Classic. ;D

Why is there never enough time to do it right but there is always enough time to do it again?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: H&R Single Shot 45-70 Shikari
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 01:49:38 PM »
I am going to say NO not as strong as current models. PERFECTLY safe for factory loads.
  As the receivers where case hardened/colored. This era never saw the higher intensity calibers offered. BUT, I'm sure with some judicious reloading you could somewhat improve on factory ballistics. I would steer clear of the Buffalo Bore and COR Bon loads with this gun.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 01:59:49 PM »
The Shikari is for trapdoor (< 28,000 cup) loads only. They're great rifles......the only thing lacking is holes for a scope mount.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 02:01:59 PM »
being new to the hornady LEVERevolution, today i found that the handi 22" 45/70
performs great with them.
but the old shoulder was frowning after 20 rounds. 325gr bullet traveling advertized speed of over 2000fps. thats pretty tough. i like the accuracy and milder recoil of my handloads.
i would not recommend this hornady round in the shikan.  but there is other more seasoned
45/70 shooters here that may have other opinions.
i can say this for the 22" handi with the hornady... it works well on paper, and would be an excellent hunting round.  but watch out shoulder!!!
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 03:28:24 PM »
but the old shoulder was frowning after 20 rounds. 325gr bullet traveling advertized speed of over 2000fps. thats pretty tough. i like the accuracy and milder recoil of my handloads.
i would not recommend this hornady round in the shikan.  but there is other more seasoned
i can say this for the 22" handi with the hornady... it works well on paper, and would be an excellent hunting round.  but watch out shoulder!!!

I used the 22" Handi and the 325 gr. Hornady last month to take a deer and I never heard the gun go off, much less feel the recoil.  Shooting off the bench seems to put one in a position to take recoil and not absorb it.  The Hornady .45-70 LEs are what I shoot, and the .45-70 and .357 Handis are my everyday working guns.  I guess the gentlest way to put it is get it off the bench and shoot it.  It won't hurt you.  I'm a little 150 pounder and I love mine.

There's so much hype put into recoil in the .45-70.  I've had the snot kicked out of me by traditional muzzle loaders from .32 (T/C Cherokee, 75 gr. fffg, 103 gr. Maxi-Hunter) to .54 caliber.  Also, from an Ithaca 16 ga featherweight, Marlin .30-30 336T. not to mention others.  Some of them banged me up on the bench, but never in the field.  I'd rather shoot the .45-70 than any of them.

Light, skinny, solid butt plate rifles can make one flinch.  Guns with straight grips also tend to knock the crap out of me; as in the MLs and .30-30.

The Handi .45-70 is a special lady.  Hold her tight and squeeze her gently.  She loves you and won't hurt ;)

Pete

Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 12:28:48 PM »

I used the 22" Handi and the 325 gr. Hornady last month to take a deer and I never heard the gun go off, much less feel the recoil.  Shooting off the bench seems to put one in a position to take recoil and not absorb it.  The Hornady .45-70 LEs are what I shoot, and the .45-70 and .357 Handis are my everyday working guns.  I guess the gentlest way to put it is get it off the bench and shoot it.  It won't hurt you.  I'm a little 150 pounder and I love mine.

There's so much hype put into recoil in the .45-70.  I've had the snot kicked out of me by traditional muzzle loaders from .32 (T/C Cherokee, 75 gr. fffg, 103 gr. Maxi-Hunter) to .54 caliber.  Also, from an Ithaca 16 ga featherweight, Marlin .30-30 336T. not to mention others.  Some of them banged me up on the bench, but never in the field.  I'd rather shoot the .45-70 than any of them.

Light, skinny, solid butt plate rifles can make one flinch.  Guns with straight grips also tend to knock the crap out of me; as in the MLs and .30-30.

The Handi .45-70 is a special lady.  Hold her tight and squeeze her gently.  She loves you and won't hurt ;)

Pete

pete,
most of what i've read from shooters, they have layers of clothes and /or heavy coats.
here in the south, it was tee-shirt weather at 78 degrees.
you are correct by saying freehand shooting will be much better.
comparing the recoil from the LE's to my pet load is night and day.
speed is not my angle. but accuracy is my target.

sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline BS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://webpages.charter.net/fam-strick/web/index.htm
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 02:35:22 PM »
I've seen one of these used for $200.00.  Seems like a fair price but does anyone know if you can shoot modern loads in these older rifles?  ???  I reload my own 45-70 but Hornady's 45-70 bullet designed for lever guns is what I would like to use.  I have a Buffalo classic now and it is a great gun and lots of fun to shoot (with a heavy coat on) but the long barrel is tough to maneuver in the Pennsylvania woods.  I have been looking for something a little longer than what is provided with the standard 45-70 handi but not as long as the Buff Classic. ;D

I wanted the carbine, but ended up with the longer rifle model 28" bbl. It likes 300gr. Winchester factory loads...........mild recoil and shoots good. Have made some GREAT shots on woodchucks and crows...........and also works well on deer..............not sure if it came drilled and tapped, but it does have a 2.5x scope on top.[now]
Not a high pressure frame uses loads in the 28,000 cup range.
Get Close, and Whack'em Hard!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 02:43:27 PM »
The SAAMI spec for the 45-70 are trapdoor loads at 28kpsi, that includes Hornady Leverevolution ammo that some think is rated higher, it's not, they use proprietary powders that keep pressures below the trapdoor MAP. Just after the 45-70 LE ammo was released, they ran out of the proprietary powder and for some time only offered it with an advertised velocity of ~1800fps instead of the 2050fps that it originally was rated at and is again now listed as.  ;)

Tim

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/saami_pressures.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 03:22:01 PM »
not sure if it came drilled and taped, but it does have a 2.5x scope on top

See if the lug is welded or brazed on. The original Shikari barrels were brazed. It may have been drilled/tapped at a later date or the barrel may have been replaced.

Does the barrel have the ramrod ferrule?
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline BS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://webpages.charter.net/fam-strick/web/index.htm
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 04:12:38 PM »
not sure if it came drilled and taped, but it does have a 2.5x scope on top

See if the lug is welded or brazed on. The original Shikari barrels were brazed. It may have been drilled/tapped at a later date or the barrel may have been replaced.

Does the barrel have the ramrod ferrule?

Mine is brazed and has the ferrule....................if it wasn't already tapped, I must have done it, cause it is scoped now. ;D

Nice Ole Rifle ;)
Get Close, and Whack'em Hard!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 02:12:33 PM »
I saw one at the last gun show for $225.00. I passed on it because I couldn't mount a scope.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~