Author Topic: bore sighting  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Steamin

• Trade Count: (0)
bore sighting
« on: January 01, 2009, 01:42:56 PM »
Thoughts and suggestions of boresighting and which one.

Just wanting to hear what you folks thougths are, I'm trying to prove a point.

Thanks

Steamin

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: bore sighting
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 01:46:56 PM »
I simple nestle the barrel into a sandbag and adjust the sights to be the same as what is centered by looking through the barrel - at 100 yards that puts me within a few inches or so.

Then 3 shot groups adjusting between each group.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Tunaman

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 01:47:23 PM »
My right eye works pretty well but then again so does my left one.  ;D

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 01:48:57 PM »
I have one that's pretty good, read accurate at getting me on the paper. Its a SIMMONS, I chose it as the selection of collets was the broadest and the cost was moderate.

Something many folks do not know is that many collimator are adjustable. Meaning that they can have THIER grid moved to reflect true center of bore.

I use mine the most for swapping scopes. I check and record the position of the crosshairs. Swap the scope and reset the new scopes crosshairs to where the old scopes where. it keeps ammo costs down and is very repeatable. More that a few times NO additional adjustments where necessary!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 01:56:04 PM »
First I make sure the crosshair are square to the bore, and the eye releif is right, then i look thru the bore and center the scope on my target, I have a collimator but I only use it when its bad outside. It always gets me on the paper.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 02:45:46 PM »
I use a small lazer pointer that I just put in the bore and shim it to have the light come out the barrel against the wall in the basement at 20 yrds and center the cross hairs on the dot.Gets me close enough for 50yrd then do the rest on a target with live fire . Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 02:52:46 PM »
I do as Cat Whisperer does.  It may not be as fancy as a collimator, but costs less.  Since I don't change sights but in a blue moon it is all I really need.

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 02:55:25 PM »
+2 to what cat whisperer said. Look through the bore at a distant object and ajust the scope to the bore, should get you on paper.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 03:25:34 PM »
I agree with what Cat Whisperer does. I have a small cardboard box with 2 "V's" cut out of opposite top sides. I take my barrel off the gun and nestle it in the cardboard box and place it on my picnic table on my deck or in bad weather on my kitchen counter and point it out the window at something far away (if something other than a Handi I put the whole gun on the box). Center that point of aim through the bore and then move the crosshairs to be on it as well. Always puts me on the paper at 100 yards but I usually start at 50 for 3 shots then move to 100. It works and has worked for 40+ years, it's free, takes no batteries, and you can't lose it, there is always a cardboard box around somewhere, as a matter of fact you can even do it without a cardboard box....<><....:)   
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Skunk

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 03:38:53 PM »
I do the Cat Whisper method too. However, I start at 100 Yards by lining up the bore and scope on a red centered target. I was skeptical at first because I figured it would be impossible to see the target at that distance through the bore. But it really works well. The red center of the target shows up really well.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Jones

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 04:45:45 PM »
I look throw the bore and the scope at the same time.( I'm a floater)

I do as Cat.

GJ

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 06:06:54 PM »
I'm in there with Cat Whisper and the rest of us "peepers", just line it up on something and then set the scope.  Have always done it that way.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 06:17:37 PM »
I bought a Bushnell lazer boresighter, primarily because a few of my muzzle loaders made it impractical to sight the bore of the gun.  This is also true of levers unless you use a mirror.  Since my scope is approx. 1 1/2" higher than the bore, I sight on a near wall of the house against a ruler and set the scope 1 1/2"  above the bore.  As stated by several above, this gets me on paper, and usually pretty close.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 07:05:48 AM »
Thoughts and suggestions of boresighting and which one.
Just wanting to hear what you folks thougths are, I'm trying to prove a point.
Thanks
Steamin

I'm still trying to figure out if he is asking what procedure do you use for boresighting, or what boresighter do you use and why?    :-\ ::)  ;D  Sorry if it sounds like I'm pokin fun at ya there Steamin, but...  ;)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 09:30:11 AM »
Another thing my Dad always did was put a piece of cardboard about 20 yds. out, set the gun in a shooting vise, line up and fire a shot.  Then just align the scope with the bullet hole.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 09:44:24 AM »
A good question AtlLaw, I was wondering myself at what point he was trying tp prove. How about it Steamin, we have been good enough to respond to your query, how about filling us in on the reason/point?....<><....:)

"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 10:12:32 AM »
I use my neighbors truck parked across the street one house down, in his driveway.

I boresight through my barrel looking at his rear wheel, and the only thing I see through the barrel is the rim and not the tire.

Don't know if it has something to do with the round wheel, forcing the eye to center somewhat as a ghost ring sight does or what, but I was amazed the first time I did this at the results, but YMMV.

I then line up the crosshairs on the scope with the middle of the wheel, and the last three rifles I 've sighted that way have only been off about four inches.

So far nobody has seen me do this, so the cops haven't showed up yet, and no you can't borrow my bore sighter, so you are going to have to use your own neighbor.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 10:47:54 AM »
I makes me almost (not quite) sorry I don't have neighbors!  I've got a BSA boresighter with barrel inserts for a bunch of bullet sizes.  I don't think it's worth a poop.  Next time, I might borrow your neighbor's wheel. :D ;D :D

Pete

P.S. Heads up!!!  I hear sirens!!!!!
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 11:17:12 AM »
I am not sure what Steamin is looking for either - Are we being duped?

I use the sight down the bore and line up the cross hair method too. Do not forget to turn the scope knobs "backwards" to center it in your sight picture.

On guns, I can not see down the bore so easily, I just set the scope on and start shooting at 25 yards and center my scope to the shots. If I can't hit the paper, I move closer until I do.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 12:14:31 PM »
"Do not forget to turn the scope knobs "backwards" to center it in your sight picture."  Good thing to mention, I have done it so many times I forgot to state that. Also, when I use the "cardbox on the kitchen counter bore sight method" I usually line up on the light on the side of the garge door of my neighbors across the street. It's is just in the right location through the window. I mounted a traded for BSA Sweet .17 scope on my .17 HMR just a few days ago using this tried and true method....<><....:)

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 05:04:46 PM »
Add me to the Catwhisperer method ;D... looking down the bore and setting the crosshairs to the same point.

If I can't look down the bore, like on my lever action or semi auto, I do like LaOtto222. I get a big piece of card board backing my target, shoot at 25 yds. and adjust the scope in. If your scope has 1/4" clicks for 100 yards, then just move it 4 times the amount of clicks for 25 yards. Then move your target out to 100 yards and dial it in.

Bore sighters are only good for getting you close on paper, and if you can do this by the above methods, IMO it's not worth it. I'm a cheapskate though, of course.... ;D

Offline bugdust

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2009, 04:05:02 AM »
Explain "turn the knobs back to get the sight picture first." I have never bore sighted a rifle before. The gunsmith does this for me when he installs the the scope. I plan on changing scopes myself when my next barrel arrives.

Bugdust

Offline Steamin

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 04:49:18 AM »
Thanks for the responces folks.
How I worded the query didn't exactly come out like I wanted, Atlaw and MSP Ret., I'm related to a couple individuals that think that bore sighting is a falicy and a waste (I don't know how they do it). I've tried to talk them into bore sighting and then getting a group on paper, but I always get the "it's good enough for now and I'll tune it later."
I've never seen them or been invited to go with them when they sight in the slug guns or muzzleloaders. (the way they do their bow gear makes me cringe). Capt. Morgan isn't the best guy to help with sighting in.
I hope that I've given a better write up of what I was getting at.
Oh yea, Atlaw I've got thick skin, I used to work in Fed. Corrections so I can take it and enjoy a good ribbing as well as the next guy.

Thanks
Steamin

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2009, 05:08:54 AM »
bugdust - Do not forget to turn the scope knobs "backwards" to center it in your sight picture.

When you shoot a target and you want to move the bullet impact up, you move the dial the same direction as up. But when you are "bore" sighting you will turn them down to move the bullet impact up. Think about moving the cross hairs down to cross the line of sight quicker and raising the bullet impact when you are adjusting through a scope for bullet impact. You are actually moving the cross hairs down with regards to the bore. Same for wind-age. When you move the dial right you are really moving the cross hairs to the left. When you are looking down the bore, you want to move the cross hairs the same direction as your fixed target, you are "chasing" the target. Think about a "x"; one leg is the scope and one leg is the rifle barrel. looking at it from the side, when you move the legs closer together, you are raising the bullet impact with regards to the rifle bore. As the "X" widens you are lowing the bullet impact. Do not worry about it too much, if you make an adjustment and the cross hairs are getting further away from your target centered in the bore, then you are turning the turrets the wrong way. With a solid rest you want the target that is centered in your bore and the cross hairs lined up.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009, 05:20:47 AM »
I agree, and a good explaination. Also in response to bugdusts query on the following statement, "Do not forget to turn the scope knobs "backwards" to center it in your sight picture.", this works because when you shoot the gun on paper to align the scope with the bullet impact you really are moving the impact point of the bullets (point of aim = POI) to align with the point the scope is aimed at (point of aim = POA). When you boresight you are actually doing the opposite, moving the POA to where the bullets will/should impact (POI). This POI spot is what you see wehn you look down the bore at an object centered in the bore. Don't worry about it, as was said if you find the scope moving away from the point you see through the bore just turn the knobs the opposite way..trail and error, it works and lead to an enjoyable afternoon project. For me, I am going to work on cleaning up my cellar "man cave/camp room/gun room"....<><....:)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2009, 09:45:42 AM »
I bought a Bushnell lazer boresighter, primarily because a few of my muzzle loaders made it impractical to sight the bore of the gun. 
Ben

Absolutely right!  It's been since the '60's since anyone's gotten SMALL enough to look through the bore of a muzzle loader from the breech end.   ;D

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)