Author Topic: Mounting false tang on 38-55 target for vernier?  (Read 371 times)

Offline Okie2

• Trade Count: (0)
Mounting false tang on 38-55 target for vernier?
« on: December 30, 2008, 11:37:49 AM »
Suggestions for mounting the "false tang" onto the 38-55 to mount a vernier?  I can form the metal of the false tang & inlay it into the wood & then (after mounting) thread it for the vernier.  My question is how to best attach the false tang to the wood?  Epoxy, JB Weld, wood screws, or combo of glue & screws? Or form the metal & inlay the wood & weld the metal false tang to the back of the receiver...not too keen on this idea...don't really want to weld on the gun.  Thanks for any help. Scott

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Mounting false tang on 38-55 target for vernier?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 12:09:26 PM »
Personally I didn't care for it but it worked... wood screws directly into the wood stock.

If you wanted to get fancy you certainly could fation a "tang" weld/braze it to the receiver. Then drill and tap for the vernier.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 12:36:47 PM »
You can use a false tang mounted as Lee Shaver did for Handirifle... http://www.handirifle.com/articles/mybuffalo.htm

My thought is to reshape the top of the wrist to the same contour of the frame then mount the Marbles 9813 peep tang sight to the rear of the frame by drilling and tapping the frame, then epoxy bed a threaded insert into the wrist to mount the rear screw. I'd also epoxy bed the butt to the frame  Haven't done it yet on my Target, but that's the plan.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 02:31:45 PM »
Proper way would be to mill a slot up the rear of the Handi frame and bolt or screw in a steel tang.  It is then attached to the receiver and not the wood or plastic.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.