Author Topic: Tanning Deer Skins  (Read 713 times)

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
Tanning Deer Skins
« on: January 02, 2009, 10:05:36 AM »
I used to mail my deer skins to a place in Florida who tanned them, (removed the hair and did a good job).  I lost their address and name.  Does anyone have their skins tanned?  I do not want to try myself.  This company only charged $14 plus shipping to tan them.  I was going to make some deer skin jackets for me and my boys and maybe my grandkids.  Takes about 3-4 skins for a man sized jacket.  If anyone knows, please help.

Thanks

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Tanning Deer Skins
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 04:33:33 PM »
Many local taxidermists can take care of tanning.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 03:00:46 AM »
Local Taxidermists want too much.  This place did bulk orders for $15 a deer skin.  They did an excellant job. 

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 03:02:07 AM »

Do you have any idea where in Fla. they were?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Beers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 03:36:32 AM »
If they were turning peoples raw deer hides into buckskins for $15 apiece they've probably gone out of business. You'd have to do a ridiculous volume of skins to make any money at that price. There is a tremendous amount of hard physical labor that goes into making buckskin, I can't imagine a company getting enough skins to profit at that price, regardless of what kind of setup they had.

Most places I'm aware of sell their finished buckskins for somewhere in the neighborhood of $10-$20 dollars a square foot - around $100-$250 apiece, depending on the size, quality of hide and tanning method. Hard to imagine they'd still be around if there were people out there doing them for $15.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 06:50:26 AM »
I just started using this business: wbplace.com, they charge about $20 and have a trade-in deal also. My buddy uses them and has been very pleased with the garments they produced.
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us