Author Topic: Range Results With Target Classic  (Read 587 times)

Offline brennemanj83

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Range Results With Target Classic
« on: January 01, 2009, 04:53:43 PM »
Finally got a chance to hit the range today with the new Target Classic.My shooting consisted of 2 different loads,both were with 250gr cast lead bullets dropped from a Lee mold using a mix of 50/50 wheel weights and pure lead..Load #1 was 9.5grs Unigue used to sight in at 50yds.These shot suprisingly well with smallest group just under 1" with very little recoil.Since this was a used rifle i didnt bother with a break in procedure.I cleaned the bore and moved out to the 100yd mark for load #2.It consists of 45grs Swiss FFg with a little more noticable recoil (and let me tell you shooting Black Powder in this rifle is a blast.)Really got a lot of attention at the range once i switched to the FFg loads.My first shot was to foul the bore followed by blowing through a blow tube to keep fouling soft.I fired 5 shot groups with a break in between to use the blow tube and allow the barrel to cool a little.I also swabbed the bore every 5 shots.I am very amazed with the results I got using the FFg loads.Especially conidering this was my first time ever loading BP cartridge loads.And it is very addicting.When I arrived home immediatly broke the rifle down and cleaned it like I would my muzzle stuffer.A picture of my last group fire can be seen below.

Jon
Banned for less than honest trading practices.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
Re: Range Results With Target Classic
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 04:47:55 AM »
Looks very promising!

Don't forget to clean that brass also.
It will begin to tarnish in just a day or two if you don't!
Just drop them in some soapy water for a few hours and then lay them out to dry.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline brennemanj83

• Classified -- Banned
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 07:23:42 AM »
LongTom..........I dropped the brass in soapy wter yesterday after arriving home for a few hours and put them in my tumbler this morning.They came out clean as a whistle.

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 01:46:35 PM »
What type sight did you use to shoot the group at 100 yards?
Sounds like the blackpowder bug has bitten you!
Did you shoot the bullets from the mould as cast or did you size them?

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 01:54:36 PM »
Looks like ya done good Jon!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline brennemanj83

• Classified -- Banned
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 02:07:56 PM »
I still have the factory sights on the rifle.....plan on going with a tang sight and a lower globe front.I used the bullets as dropped from the mould which were .380'' even though my bore is .381.I used a recipe for boolit lube that I found over on Cast Boolits to pan lube the bullets.My next step is to try paper patching some bullets and trying that and see what kind of results I get.I normally cant shoot very good with open sight but with the TC having a longer sight radius I can focus alot than with normal open sights.

Offline towpro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 03:03:21 PM »
I used the bullets as dropped from the mould which were .380'' even though my bore is .381.I used a recipe for boolit lube that I found over on Cast Boolits to pan lube the bullets.My next step is to try paper patching some bullets and trying that and see what kind of results I get.I normally cant shoot very good with open sight but with the TC having a longer sight radius I can focus alot than with normal open sights.

Maybe try straight lead for them boolits and they might bump up to seal the bore when the holy black explodes behind them :)

PS: I'm Compass Will over at the Cast Boolits site.

Offline TopperT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Guard Dog
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 07:21:35 AM »
Way to go Jon........... Black Powder is great!,,,,,,,,Smokeless after all is just a "passing fad" anyway ;D......... 

What is your O/A length and what type of wad are you using? 

As I have 15 pounds of it, I'm staying for now with the Swiss FFF, and 39.8 grains with my .381 dia., 265 grn heads ,  Last week this yielded some great groups at 50 yards.  I will move out to 100 yards if the weather gets better this week.  I also want to try heavier loads of FFF now that I have the Starline brass and a slightly longer case length.....the combinations are endless indeed!!!! ::) ::) ::)

Offline brennemanj83

• Classified -- Banned
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 07:38:05 AM »
Jim how ya been I havent heard from ya in awhile.My OAL is 2.580''.I am using a .030'' Vegetable fiber wad.I am stuck with winchester brass for now but hope to have some of the longer starline brass before long.I am also using Winchester LR primers.